How many crashes this year?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pete Owens

Re: How many crashes this year?

Post by Pete Owens »

Perhaps you would give similar advice to scofflaw motorists who park in cycle lanes - "Keep doing what you are doing and they will convert into a parking space".

Or is your approach to traffic law based on Boris' approach to covid regulations - only applicable to other people?.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Pete Owens wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 12:02am Perhaps you would give similar advice to scofflaw motorists who park in cycle lanes - "Keep doing what you are doing and they will convert into a parking space".

Or is your approach to traffic law based on Boris' approach to covid regulations - only applicable to other people?.
Yes
I am here. Where are you?
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Two crashes on the same day in 2021. One at this turn here, heading downhill: I noticed it too late, slowed down having overshot, and then thought I could make the turn (uphill) while still clipped in and in the wrong gear. I was wrong.

Then, exasperatingly, an hour or two later here. I was riding with someone else, thought maybe the path would be just wide enough for them to pull up next to me for a minute, so went over to the left - at which point I hit the broken-down path edging and went over. Nasty bit of roadrash but Talgarth Co-op was open for plasters etc.!

Other than that a clean year. :)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Pete Owens wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 5:50pm
Benz3ne wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 9:28am
I'll do more practice mounting and dismounting kerbs, I think.
Or better still ... try obeying the law.
I accepted my fault, but it could've been avoided if said person had heard me (not necessarily their fault either, just voicing my frustration).
There is no dedicated cycle path on that particular area, especially on that side of the dual carriageway.
I would like to think that I'm very courteous of bystanders, hence why I slowed and went around them instead of ploughing into them.
I'd rather stack it trying to mount a kerb than be hit by any one of the lorries that frequent the dual carriageway at 60mph (breaking the law themselves, if we're going down that road). Heck, even a car at those speeds would finish off most.

For the record, it's the only time in 10 months of cycling that route that I've had an issue with a pedestrian. (Edit: issue is too strong a word in this case.)
Last edited by Benz3ne on 12 Jan 2022, 9:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Cowsham wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 8:52pm No keep doing what you're doing till we get a dedicated cycle path for every road.
The council here are actually making inroads into a dedicated cycle path. It bridges the gap between a university campus here and the rest of the city, and helps spur initiatives with regards to cycling to work. It will be a welcome development for many, that's for sure.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Pete Owens wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 12:02am Perhaps you would give similar advice to scofflaw motorists who park in cycle lanes - "Keep doing what you are doing and they will convert into a parking space".

I can't say I've ever seen this happen here.
I'll write to one of the big banks too and let them know all of their public bike scheme users aren't using the road either, shall I?
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 8:23am Two crashes on the same day in 2021. One at this turn here, heading downhill: I noticed it too late, slowed down having overshot, and then thought I could make the turn (uphill) while still clipped in and in the wrong gear. I was wrong.

Then, exasperatingly, an hour or two later here. I was riding with someone else, thought maybe the path would be just wide enough for them to pull up next to me for a minute, so went over to the left - at which point I hit the broken-down path edging and went over. Nasty bit of roadrash but Talgarth Co-op was open for plasters etc.!

Other than that a clean year. :)
Oh man! One crash is frustrating enough, but two and you're ready to go home, right?
Glad to hear it was a clean year otherwise! Fingers crossed you don't overshoot any Welsh road corners too! :D
Diolch for sharing! ;)
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

mattheus wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 10:19am
Commiserations. Glad no major damage done. Those palm scrapes can be really sore, and a bu99er for us professional-level viola players! ; -)

As I often mention in h**m*t threads, I've had more accidents (over 40+ years) where simple gloves would have saved an annoying injury, than where a plastic hat would. And I wear gloves on almost every ride!
Yeah, gloves are a godsend, really. I'm half-tempted to get myself a pair of fingerless ones for the summer. The twice I've fallen (properly) I've been gloveless and shared some B+ with my handlebar tape. Quite frustrating, even for just doing jobs in work, around the house, playing guitar...
Jdsk wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 11:13am Thanks for sharing. Other people's misfortunes can be very helpful in thinking about our own behaviour. And I suspect that posting it in public sometimes helps the crasher.

But I'm not sure what you mean by:
Benz3ne wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 9:28am One, notably, decided to wait between the pavement and the bus stop. It's fairly narrow at that point, too.
Is that on the pavement but not at the side where it meets the road?

Jonathan (always gloved)
Point (a), definitely. It is quite nice to have a common ground to voice thoughts on. Sure, some people will share alternative opinions but it's useful to get both sides of the fence, hear how other people might've approached a similar situation, or just be reminded of our options.

Point (b), yes. There's essentially no pavement on the side that faces the road, except for 'inside' the bus-stop shelter, where there's a steep kerb to meet the road. On the other side, there's some railing leading up to it, to segregate the pavement from a residential road (again with a significant drop down onto said road), then a bush at the end of the railing directly opposite the closest end of the bus-stop. Hopefully that makes sense - the pavement there is a little over a meter wide, so it would've been impossible to squeeze past in any capacity. As you say though, it's nice that we can think about our actions post-crash, and in future I will unclip and walk myself around. It takes barely any effort and I'm never really in much rush, so why did I bother risking my health with the option I took?
Hindsight is 20-20.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Luckily no crashes this year :lol:
None in last couple of years either, thankfully!
I always wear gloves or mitts (and helmet) whenever I ride, having scraped hands on the tarmac in the past even on a fairly gentle off.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Benz3ne wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 9:04am
Jdsk wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 11:13am But I'm not sure what you mean by:
Benz3ne wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 9:28am One, notably, decided to wait between the pavement and the bus stop. It's fairly narrow at that point, too.
Point (b), yes. There's essentially no pavement on the side that faces the road, except for 'inside' the bus-stop shelter, where there's a steep kerb to meet the road. On the other side, there's some railing leading up to it, to segregate the pavement from a residential road (again with a significant drop down onto said road), then a bush at the end of the railing directly opposite the closest end of the bus-stop. Hopefully that makes sense - the pavement there is a little over a meter wide, so it would've been impossible to squeeze past in any capacity. As you say though, it's nice that we can think about our actions post-crash, and in future I will unclip and walk myself around. It takes barely any effort and I'm never really in much rush, so why did I bother risking my health with the option I took?
Hindsight is 20-20.
Thankyou

Jonathan
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

VinceLedge wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 10:40am Luckily no crashes this year :lol:
I always wear gloves or mitts (and helmet) whenever I ride, having scraped hands on the tarmac in the past even on a fairly gentle off.
Oh well done! Yes, helmet is a given for me. Gloves will be going forwards. It doesn't take much, does it?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

This year, so far none...but it's a bit soon.... :lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

eileithyia wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 10:55am This year, so far none...but it's a bit soon.... :lol: :lol:
I would've said the same before yesterday morning... :lol:
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Benz3ne wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 10:50am
VinceLedge wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 10:40am Luckily no crashes this year :lol:
Oh well done! Yes, helmet is a given for me. Gloves will be going forwards. It doesn't take much, does it?
Actually I am so used to it now that it feels odd riding with bare hands.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

VinceLedge wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 11:10am
Actually I am so used to it now that it feels odd riding with bare hands.
Same here, even in summer.

It's weird how the magazines always photograph their models/reports bare-handed. It's possibly irresponsible!

[I know some pros don't wear them - but the majority do. Draw your own conclusion, people ... ]