First big accident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Gehrman

First big accident

Post by Gehrman »

Hi. Cycling home Wednesday afternoon I was wiped out by a car. Cycling downhill approx 20-25mph in free moving but not particularly busy traffic and apparently a car pulled straight across me into a junction. I say apparently as I was knocked out and woke up in the road being helped by people.
Had to go in an ambulance to hospital and I have 4 broken ribs, a small lung puncture plus a shoulder dislocation which is getting looked at tomorrow but will probably need an op.
The incident is on dash cam and the police say it was shocking driving. I have reported it through British cycling and their legal team have been in touch.
First time this has happened to me so was just after some advice really. Thanks.
chris_suffolk

Re: First big accident

Post by chris_suffolk »

Gehrman wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 7:36pm Hi. Cycling home Wednesday afternoon I was wiped out by a car. Cycling downhill approx 20-25mph in free moving but not particularly busy traffic and apparently a car pulled straight across me into a junction. I say apparently as I was knocked out and woke up in the road being helped by people.
Had to go in an ambulance to hospital and I have 4 broken ribs, a small lung puncture plus a shoulder dislocation which is getting looked at tomorrow but will probably need an op.
The incident is on dash cam and the police say it was shocking driving. I have reported it through British cycling and their legal team have been in touch.
First time this has happened to me so was just after some advice really. Thanks.
Does the legal cover take a slice of any payment? If not, then I think I'd go with them. Else maybe legal assistance via your house insurance.

I had an off a few years back, and it took several years to get closure, so don't expect it to be quick. Record everything: take photos of injuries, all costs you incur (with receipts) , time off work, activities that you can't do (everything, not just cycling) and for how long.

Assuming that the 3rd party insurers admit liability - and with what you've said that should be a given - then allow the legal team to deal with them direct. Push for at least one medical exam, and if anything changes, or doesn't improve as quickly as hoped, then get another. Be very wary of accepting the first offer as it's likely to be low, and make sure whatever you do accept you are happy with. Once payment is acceprted, there is no going back for more if an injury is worse, or gets worse in some years time, than was expected, so be totally sure.

Damage to the bike / clothing etc should be paid out quickly, butpersonal injury will almost certainly take a while.

Happy to share experiences more if you think it will help.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

OP - Sorry to hear, and hope you recover soon.
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

That sounds pretty bad, sending you best wishes for a full recovery.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

If using the British Cycling Legal Service then it is usually done at no cost to you and you don’t lose any of your compensation. My son put in a claim through them a few years ago and while it took a while to settle, he eventually received compensation for the accident. He was run into from behind by a driver.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The usual advice at this point is to get proper legal advice and you have already done that. If you haven't already been told, keep records of everything, especially receipts etc for every expense incurred as a result of this. A diary can also be a good idea and record even the limited things you remember about this crash. It may take a long time to settle, especially if you suffer any disability as a result. Don't rely on your memory for things you may be asked to recall in a year or more.
Gehrman

Post by Gehrman »

Thanks for the support and advice. I’ve not checked out my bike yet, been focusing on myself but I will take photos and a diary sounds a good idea. I’m quite worried about my shoulder as I’m one of those people who fortunately are never even I’ll so I’m quite scared of the prospect of surgery.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sorry to hear about your crash. I wish you a swift recovery.

There is a page on what to do after a crash in our 'too good to lose'. Although you seem to be doing the right things already, you may find useful information in the post or a related link.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49627
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

When I saw that word "apparently" I knew you'd lost that 5 or 10 seconds before the accident which is so frustrating.

I've had two big offs in the last 18 months both my own fault.

The first was purely head injury and don't remember anything about the crash.

The second was multiple rib fractures collar bone and shoulder blade which was 3 weeks ago so still recovering from that.

I'll put up link to my recovery if you haven't already seen it so you can get a sense of what's ahead.

Hope you recover fast.
Don't let anxiety or fear get on top of you.
Don't try to do stuff too soon like I did -- I think I set my progress back a bit by trying too hard too soon.

My main advise for right now.
Don't eat too much of that toast in hospital
if your like me the bread will give terrible constipation combined with the morphine and paracetamol iv. After a week of that needing suppositories to do a No.2 is like giving birth to Godzilla !
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Gehrman

Post by Gehrman »

Thanks again for the replies and links. Good to hear from people with similar experience and injuries. At the moment I’m on liquid morphine and over the counter ibuprofen and paracetamol which are helping. Yeah Cowsham that short period before impact has gone. It’s all on video but to be honest I don’t think I need to see it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 6:32am The usual advice at this point is to get proper legal advice and you have already done that. If you haven't already been told, keep records of everything, especially receipts etc for every expense incurred as a result of this. A diary can also be a good idea and record even the limited things you remember about this crash. It may take a long time to settle, especially if you suffer any disability as a result. Don't rely on your memory for things you may be asked to recall in a year or more.
Excellent advice.

I'd also add getting someone else to check all your own correspondence, or at least to sleep on it before sending.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:06amDon't eat too much of that toast in hospital [/b]if your like me the bread will give terrible constipation combined with the morphine and paracetamol iv. After a week of that needing suppositories to do a No.2 is like giving birth to Godzilla !
That was probably caused by the opiates rather than the toast or paracetamol.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:39am
Cowsham wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:06amDon't eat too much of that toast in hospital [/b]if your like me the bread will give terrible constipation combined with the morphine and paracetamol iv. After a week of that needing suppositories to do a No.2 is like giving birth to Godzilla !

Jonathan
The last time I was in hospital (childbirth) the food was gloppy stodge, and absolutely did not help with those matters.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Vorpal wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:42am
Jdsk wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:39am

Jonathan
The last time I was in hospital (childbirth) the food was gloppy stodge, and absolutely did not help with those matters.
Yes V even the porridge wasn't helping -- I resorted to just a bowl of canned fruit for breakfast but before that I was having the tea an toast 3 times a day simply because I didn't need my left arm to eat it. But bread has always had this effect on my bowels.

I got a laxative syrup twice a day from the start too. Think that helped.

The trouble with this part is that they won't let you home until you have had a movement. So you either lie or you go.

Getting to the toilet when you've that many injuries is a major achievement so don't worry too much about it in the first few days. At the start I couldn't even stand up without feeling dizzy with pain.