First big accident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PH

Re: First big accident

Post by PH »

Not much to add other than look after yourself and make a good recovery.
The legals can take some time and are not IME always the best at communicating, as things get underway, don't be shy at pestering them, for explanations or action. Remember even though it's not coming out of your pocket, they're working for you.
Gehrman

Post by Gehrman »

Thanks again. Turns out my shoulder does need repairing surgically :(
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sorry to hear that -- did they say when they'd do that ? They may have to wait till the lung has healed up, chest drain out etc.
I am here. Where are you?
Gehrman

Post by Gehrman »

Waiting to hear my appointment date but they never mentioned the lung puncture to be an issue.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Gehrman wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 9:55pm Waiting to hear my appointment date but they never mentioned the lung puncture to be an issue.
Maybe it's not an issue -- how are you managing pain?
Gehrman

Post by Gehrman »

Morphine, ibuprofen, paracetamol and sitting down a lot.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Ouch!!!

Glad you are on the mend.

Friend of mine was T-boned by a car about 15 years ago. He lost the whole day before his accident and still suffers short term memory issues to this day. Doesn't affect him too much though and he can still work.

I'd second the sentiment above about opioid-based pain killers. They can certainly bung you up if you're not careful. Plenty of fluids and increased fibre in your diet should help.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Gehrman wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 12:28am Morphine, ibuprofen, paracetamol and sitting down a lot.
I had to sleep in a chair most of the time up to the last few nights. Have you had to wear the compression stockings in hospital ?

I refused them reassuring the nurses I'd be trying to get walking a lot -- I did try to walk around the wards but I found it very tiring so despite my efforts I found near the end of my week in hospital my ankles and feet were swollen.

This was new to me cos my ankles / feet are usually very boney looking and felt very odd indeed. Not painful just a warm and squidgy feeling. I know however the risks with that so in hindsight I'd have worn the stockings.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I strongly recommend accepting compression stockings when offered in hospital.

The current points of debate in the field aren't about that, but include the use of graduated compression stockings, below or above knee stockings, and when and how to mix stockings with positive pressure systems and drugs.
https://www.cochrane.org/search/all/com ... chrane.org

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Everyone on the Ward was offered stockings but me being over confident and stubborn was the only one not wearing them. My own worst enemy.
Gehrman

Post by Gehrman »

Will take that on board thanks. Never had any form of surgery before so I’m really nervous. Think my hospital folder only had my birth record in…
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I suggest making a note of any questions or concerns so that you don't forget them.

And don't worry if you get asked the same thing more than once... sometimes there's a good reason.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Gehrman wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 10:57am Will take that on board thanks. Never had any form of surgery before so I’m really nervous. Think my hospital folder only had my birth record in…
I hope this is your last big accident too!
I have a fat hospital file and have had many operations. I worry about them a lot less than I used to.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 10:59am I suggest making a note of any questions or concerns so that you don't forget them.

And don't worry if you get asked the same thing more than once... sometimes there's a good reason.

Jonathan
Yes especially after your head injury -- although my head injury had no major repercussions or consequence I did notice a slight difficulty with short term memory. That resolved fairly soon ( within a few months of injury ) but I put measures in place to help me with memory like using the memo app on my phone for new procedures passwords ( in my own code of course ) and setting alarms.

Tictic the new version of gtasks is a great app and have been using it for years.

I use colornote cos it proved to be a reliable way to keep notes with backup to server without having to sign up to the phones own account system.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Some good advice so far but to follow up;
Start a diary asap, note what you can and can't do, even down to dressing and washing and when you can start doing such things again... 18 months down the line you will not remember exactly how long it took to recover. Also include things like driving, and who did such tasks as helping you to cook, dress, bathe, shop, do laundry etc.....

Check your employment contract if working, you will probably find if you have an accident where compensation is claimed they will expect their costs to be included (my solicitor via CUK contacted the HR dept to check this and get a figure to be added to my compensation), you want to ensure this is done... you do not want your employer to come after you at a later date for such compensation to be paid and find you have none left for yourself.

Note all items that are damaged, not just the bike, clothing, shoes, other equipment that was on the bike etc.

Out of pocket expenses, ie someone came to collect you from hospital, prescription charges, hospital parking charges, cost of journeys that are a direct result of the accident, or that you would normally make by bike and now have extra costs incurred.

Such compensation claims can take their time, I was off work with a broken collarbone for 6 months and was still having physio for quite sometime after that before I had full mobility back, it is important not to accept a claim too soon if you still have any ongoing issues.... when others said it seemed to be dragging on my stock response was, 'Better that than accept a pay out too soon and find you have ongoing issues 18-24 months on'. I reckon 18-24 months gives you a fair chance to know if everything is healed and as good as it is going to be.. or if there is further issues (not anticipated at this stage).

yes use the compression stockings, you really do not want a DVT, if given.
Yes be wary of morphine / codeine based analgesia as it does have a slowing down effect on the gut.

Take care and heal quickly
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells