First big accident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham

Re: First big accident

Post by Cowsham »

Just put this on my recovery write up if it helps you or you experience this effect of breaking a lot of ribs in one go.

viewtopic.php?t=146428&start=45
I am here. Where are you?
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Cowsham wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 11:06pm Just put this on my recovery write up if it helps you or you experience this effect of breaking a lot of ribs in one go.

viewtopic.php?t=146428&start=45
Interesting, and a good bit of info. Hoping your recovery is going smoothly so far.
I fractured my lower orbit eye socket playing rugby. I wouldn't have gone to the hospital at all had I not had a strange sensation. In short, when breathing in sharply through my nose my vision was blurring and I felt almost a 'pull'/'vacuum' type effect at the back of my eye. That was the only tell-tale to me that something was wrong.
Turned out the fracture was such that it broke the bridge between the eye and sinus, so I was literally creating that vacuum with the nasal in-breath.
Spent 7 hours in hospital the first day, 8 hours the next. Was told on the second day to go home for the weekend, surgery on Monday and words that will never leave me:

"Try not to sneeze."

Two ops to put in and adjust a Ti plate to replace the fractured bone, a laser surgery to repair a torn retina and I'm good as new... 8)

Another case of 'if you're not sure, get it checked'!
Gehrman

Post by Gehrman »

Good reading your other recovery experiences. To be honest so far the pain has been manageable with medication. Once I’m sat I’m pretty comfortable. Chest hurts when getting in and out of bed but that seems to be improving very slightly. Also don’t seem to be getting out of breath as easily so I’m assuming the small lung puncture is healing.
Shoulder wise it’s still out of place and should hear this week from the hospital for a surgery appointment which I’m still pretty scared of, even though I know it has to be done.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Gehrman wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 11:35am
Shoulder wise it’s still out of place and should hear this week from the hospital for a surgery appointment which I’m still pretty scared of, even though I know it has to be done.
Don't be afraid of operations. As you have found, pain control is pretty good these days.
Good to hear that recovery is progressing, that always helps morale.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Gehrman

Post by Gehrman »

Cheers Mike.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

It's easy to say don't be scared, but we are all nervous of situations that are new to us, I have been on both sides of surgery and know the staff are wonderful and very careful of your health and well being, but being on the otherside and worrying about going to sleep is perfectly normal.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Keep your spirits up Gerhman -- I'm in England enjoying a holiday -- that awful feeling of my insides falling a bit as I get out of bed from laying down to sitting up is getting less. I think the structures that hold everything together are getting stronger. Able to walk about most of the day now.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Treat all car drivers as potential murderers. If you ride on open roads, you won’t be far wide of the mark.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 5:05pm Treat all car drivers as potential murderers. If you ride on open roads, you won’t be far wide of the mark.
We are so vulnerable, especially as we don't wear the back protectors etc that motorcyclists do.

My injuries according to the orthopedic man ( not the thoracic ) could have been life threatening especially if I'd been in my 70's.

That's with just falling off due to a momentary lapse in concentration at only 20MPH.

All it takes is for someone to clip a back wheel of another bike in a group ride and your basically going to hit the ground at the same angle I did, shoulder first, as your front wheel gets turned upside down.

Your out on the road mixing it with cars with fallible humans in them. Yes I treat them as idiots and that policy has served me well but we are also human so can make mistakes I certainly did, no cars involved just ambulances.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I treat motorists as frail fellow human beings whose attention wanders sometimes and who make errors of judgement, whether I am walking, cycling or motoring. I do not treat them or anyone as a murderer, potential or otherwise, which means intent.

The latter seems to be a lesson in how to maintain enmity between groups of people who need to share the same space.
John
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 8:02am I treat motorists as frail fellow human beings whose attention wanders sometimes and who make errors of judgement, whether I am walking, cycling or motoring.
+ 1
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 8:02am I treat motorists as frail fellow human beings whose attention wanders sometimes and who make errors of judgement, whether I am walking, cycling or motoring. I do not treat them or anyone as a murderer, potential or otherwise, which means intent.
Sounds right to me.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Gehrman wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 11:57am Cheers Mike.
Wondered how you're getting on. Any update on the shoulder?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Motorists wave happily to me when walking the doggie.
Not so much when cycling, but they wave and smile sometimes.

It all depends on where you live and walk and where you cycle.
Don't tar everyone with the same brush.
Mick F. Cornwall
ossie

Post by ossie »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 8:02am I treat motorists as frail fellow human beings whose attention wanders sometimes and who make errors of judgement, whether I am walking, cycling or motoring. I do not treat them or anyone as a murderer, potential or otherwise, which means intent.

The latter seems to be a lesson in how to maintain enmity between groups of people who need to share the same space.
Spot on......apart from Tractor drivers and school run mums :wink: .