Tour de France 2021 - Spoilers

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
ratherbeintobago

Re: Tour de France 2021 - Spoilers

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Letour.fr still suggesting Cav was the last finisher yesterday, which one would assume means everyone else was outside the cut.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 8:28am Letour.fr still suggesting Cav was the last finisher yesterday, which one would assume means everyone else was outside the cut.
Everyone else was Edvald Boasson Hagen - scroll down to Stage 15

https://www.letour.fr/en/withdrawal
ratherbeintobago

Being last inside the time cut has a certain style to it, doesn't it?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

According to "Procyclingstats", Cav was last with a couple of Deceuninck team mates to keep him company.
Bouhanni did not finish and Boasson Hagen was out of time.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/to ... 1/stage-15

Who'd have thought that the race for second place and hoping Cav' will make Paris would be the highlights of this years race ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My "withdrawals" link above shows that Nacer Bouhanni was a "withdrawal."

Elsewhere on that site the stage ranking shows that Cav finished last in a group of six riders including three of his teammates all at 34'57" - knackered but well-organised.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see there's a level crossing 4.3 kms before the finish today.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 7:37am I see there's a level crossing 4.3 kms before the finish today.
Could be entertaining. I note we haven't had the traditional protest by French farmers or the comic gendarme moment yet... lots to look forward to!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can see that there have been a lot more illuminated warning signs than in the past eg at traffic islands but there seem to be fewer motards waving the yellow pennants than previously.
ratherbeintobago

What do we think about the time cut today? Cav about 10 min off the back with 49km (and one Cat 2 climb) to go.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've not seen an announcement of the time limit but it will be less generous than in the big mountains. Only the Portet d'Aspet left and the bus - which is still small seems to be doing ok. It will probably bigger when they are over the top and on the run-in. I think the Green Jersey may be more at risk than the current wearer, who only seems to see it as a sideshow to stage wins.

The wet descent could upset things
ratherbeintobago

I thought his lead was such that as long as he gets to Paris he can't be caught?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've not got the time just now to do the arithmetic but in theory at least, he can still finish and not get the jersey. The big danger today is that Matthews looks to be favourite for the stage. The good news is that Cav's group is so close to the peloton they may well get back on the descent.
=================================
Correction : I've been on the school run and Matthews is back in the bunch

Actually, he's in the chase group and might win that sprint. The Cav group is dropping further back on the run in
ratherbeintobago

Commentary has just said that Cav is in the yellow jersey group, just.

Looks like Matthews has picked up 35 points today
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 4:50pm Commentary has just said that Cav is in the yellow jersey group, just.

Looks like Matthews has picked up 35 points today
Cav has finished safely but according to the official result, he was in the back group 23.40 down. The Yellow Jersey was 14th at 13.49

There's a chart here for the award of points

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points_cl ... ce#Current

Matthews' 35 points today were for 4th in the intermediate = 13 and 3rd at the finish (Hilly stage) = 22

In theory the max points tally still available to a rider winning all five remaining stages and the four intermediate sprints is 260 but nobody is going to get anywhere near that. I hope my working is clear
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Today (14th) looks like a seriously tough stage. 115km gentle uphill drag, before you hit the 3 mountains. :shock: