Lejog Road Closure Wye Valley workaround

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

Lejog Road Closure Wye Valley workaround

Post by puffin »

If your route takes you down the A466, the road is closed near Tintern causing a lengthy detour. For us cyclists there is a brilliant new workaround, a recently completed track between Chepstow and Tintern which includes a wonderful dimly lit tunnel (the bats who live there have dibs) of just over a kilometer.

If your route takes you through Oakhampton, there us a closure just to the North. If you encounter it (eg going North) take the left turn immediately before the closure and this will bring you out just after the blockage.
Attachments
Tunnel between Chepstow and Tintern
Tunnel between Chepstow and Tintern
mattsccm

Re: Lejog Road Closure Wye Valley workaround

Post by mattsccm »

Nope. Apart from the odd time it is open to cyclists. Machinery can be in the way but a wait will see you through.The diversion isn't much more anyway.
Although why the devil anyone would ride that road when it isn't closed defeats me. Horrible.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mattsccm wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 2:13pm Nope. Apart from the odd time it is open to cyclists. Machinery can be in the way but a wait will see you through.The diversion isn't much more anyway.
Although why the devil anyone would ride that road when it isn't closed defeats me. Horrible.
Because compared to the alternatives in that area it is faster and easier on the legs, I suppose. If I were doing it I'd try to get it outside peak traffic time. I have done it at 6 - 7 in the morning and found it okay.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Forget the Wye Valley anyway.

Shorter, flatter, quicker, easier, is NOT to cross the Severn Bridge and go via Gloucester.
Mick F. Cornwall
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Rode both the Wye Valley > Shrewsbury option and the Severn Valley option ia Gloucester and Worcester for the new Cicerone guidebook and I'm with Mick.

[https://www.cicerone.co.uk/cycling-land ... oats-third]

PS Didn't I read that the new tunnel is only open for half the year?
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
puffin

Post by puffin »

Does anyone know if the A466 Tintern Road is open for cycles this Summer???
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Mick F wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 5:11pm Forget the Wye Valley anyway.

Shorter, flatter, quicker, easier, is NOT to cross the Severn Bridge and go via Gloucester.
Wye Valley is a lot nicer though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree, but efficiency of the ride dictates maybe?
Done it both/either way and I know which is best.

Take your time, and admire the scenery, but it's a long way LE to JOG.
Mick F. Cornwall
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

From Chepstow I went up the English side on the A4228 to St Briavels ,Coleford, English Bicknor and on to Ross-on-Wye. Gradients were quite good. Scenery not as good as other side, but good enough and not chokka with traffic.

I partly chose this side as I know the Welsh side fairly well and it was a Saturday and I thought it'd be less busy on the A4228. Worth considering.

( I was on a slow LEJOG and I stayed at the Wye Valley YHA at Welsh Bicknor( crossing over to from the English siden on the old railway bridge/footpath. There's steps up to negotiate, so bags came off for that. We had a day off walking so got to see some woodland and Goodrich castle. However note the YHA is not cheap at weekends)
old fangled
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Enigmadick wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 5:45pm Rode both the Wye Valley > Shrewsbury option and the Severn Valley option ia Gloucester and Worcester for the new Cicerone guidebook and I'm with Mick.

[https://www.cicerone.co.uk/cycling-land ... oats-third]

PS Didn't I read that the new tunnel is only open for half the year?
Quite possibly. SIgn here says closed 1-Oct to 31-March (to allow bats to hibernate):
https://goo.gl/maps/ij6piYPvEGZE6sjW8
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Wye valley is open. Just avoid weekends unless early or late. I guess if you like busy roads it is fine but there are nicer routes on the ridge either side with not much the way of climbing.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Can anyone suggest the route to follow if I keep East of the valley?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

puffin wrote: 25 May 2022, 9:58am Can anyone suggest the route to follow if I keep East of the valley?

I presume you mean the route through the Forest of Dean to Ross-on-Wye that hoogerbooger previously posted. Follow the B4228 through St Briavels and Coleford. From Coleford it's worth going via the viewpoints at Symonds Yat for the panoramic views of the Wye valley. There's also a cafe by the car park and if you're lucky you may even get to see the resident Peregrine Falcons.

From R-o-W there's a quiet minor road heading north that roughly follows the river and eventually joins the B4224 at Fownhope. There are a couple of hills where it leaves the river valley but nothing too demanding. The B4224 will take you to Hereford but I continued north from Mordiford to Leominster.
700c

Post by 700c »

Do note that although the tunnel is open now, the bridge into Tintern (known as the Wireworks bridge [ https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51% ... -2.6805982 ]) is due to close for the rest of the season (for refurbishment) next week.

I'll try to remember to keep the thread updated when I know more.

In other words, DO NOT use this tunnel on your Lejog as you'll come out in the middle of nowhere and it would be difficult (though not impossible) to get back on the A466 main road.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

700c wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:42am Do note that although the tunnel is open now, the bridge into Tintern (known as the Wireworks bridge [ https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51% ... -2.6805982 ]) is due to close for the rest of the season (for refurbishment) next week.
You're kidding - the tunnel's only been open since March!!?