Lejog Road Closure Wye Valley workaround

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
700c

Re: Lejog Road Closure Wye Valley workaround

Post by 700c »

Nope, not kidding.
The tunnel is open, but the bridge over to Tintern is closing imminently.

I suppose one could wade over to the welsh side?
But with a loaded bike, almost impossible.

I emailed re the possibility of a temporary pontoon or something of that nature, but received no reply from any of the recipients.
puffin

Post by puffin »

700c wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:42am Do note that although the tunnel is open now, the bridge into Tintern (known as the Wireworks bridge [ https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51% ... -2.6805982 ]) is due to close for the rest of the season (for refurbishment) next week.

I'll try to remember to keep the thread updated when I know more.

In other words, DO NOT use this tunnel on your Lejog as you'll come out in the middle of nowhere and it would be difficult (though not impossible) to get back on the A466 main road.
That is really useful, thanks. I'd be coming through Monday 30th May so would probably be affected.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Norman H wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:36am
puffin wrote: 25 May 2022, 9:58am Can anyone suggest the route to follow if I keep East of the valley?

I presume you mean the route through the Forest of Dean to Ross-on-Wye that hoogerbooger previously posted. Follow the B4228 through St Briavels and Coleford. From Coleford it's worth going via the viewpoints at Symonds Yat for the panoramic views of the Wye valley. There's also a cafe by the car park and if you're lucky you may even get to see the resident Peregrine Falcons.

From R-o-W there's a quiet minor road heading north that roughly follows the river and eventually joins the B4224 at Fownhope. There are a couple of hills where it leaves the river valley but nothing too demanding. The B4224 will take you to Hereford but I continued north from Mordiford to Leominster.
Thanks, that's useful.
700c

Post by 700c »

I'll wander down to the tunnel this morning (I live two fields away) and see if there are any notices about the bridge closure.
700c

Post by 700c »

There is no notice at the Tunnel with regards to the upcoming bridge closure, but I did find this;

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/high ... rovements/
puffin

Post by puffin »

700c wrote: 26 May 2022, 12:58pm There is no notice at the Tunnel with regards to the upcoming bridge closure, but I did find this;

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/high ... rovements/
Thanks for looking into this, that's helpful. I reckon i won't risk it, ill plum for the main road instead. Thanks again,
Best wishes
fishman18

Post by fishman18 »

I'm planning on going this way on June 16th - I've emailed highways Gloucestershire to confirm if it will be open to cyclists, so if I get a response I'll post it here.

Would hate to have to do the A road :(
fishman18

Post by fishman18 »

puffin wrote: 25 May 2022, 2:42pm That is really useful, thanks. I'd be coming through Monday 30th May so would probably be affected.
@Puffin can you update us on whether this was open for your trip??
fishman18

Post by fishman18 »

700c wrote: 26 May 2022, 11:42am I'll wander down to the tunnel this morning (I live two fields away) and see if there are any notices about the bridge closure.
Any more recent update? I'll be coming through in 2 weeks time :shock:
700c

Post by 700c »

fishman18 wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 1:34pm Any more recent update? I'll be coming through in 2 weeks time :shock:
I'm hearing from one of the local councillors that the bridge will be open until the end of June - but he wouldn't/couldn't give me firm details.
fishman18

Post by fishman18 »

FYI got this response on Twitter...sounds like it's closing soon, but I might squeak through

"Hi Andy, the bridge is still currently open to pedestrians and cyclists. An update regarding the closure should be available soon. Many thanks, Glos Roads Team"
puffin

Post by puffin »

Hi all. I cycled past the bridge 29th May and it was open
fishman18

Post by fishman18 »

Latest update from Glos Roads

"the bridge will still be open to cyclists on the 16th June, a full closure will be in place from end June/early July – exact date TBC."

So I'll give the tunnel a crack! My only issue now is the trai strike on the 23rd means if I want to make JOG and get back to Inverness for my train home the next day, I'm looking at a 190mile/300km day 😂 Might have to just touch the North Coast and head back, will depend on legs and weather....
700c

Post by 700c »

The bridge is still open. The "unknown" closure date keeps getting pushed back.
700c

Post by 700c »

Update from Gloucestershire County Council: the contractors will be setting up their works compound in the Wireworks carpark week commencing 1 August.
Which most likely means the wireworks bridge will be closed that same week.