Cycling and deafness

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cycling and deafness

Post by Mick F »

IanH wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 4:11pm You can also buy a ready-made kit from the usual on-line shopping sites. My wife and I had great fun!
:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't speak please.
I can hear nothing other than whizzing noise.
Both ears completely blocked.
I can't hear the clocks ticking, and we have a few of them.

Appointment booked for 15:40 tomorrow.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

I'M SORRY TO HEAR THAT. HOPE YOU GET SORTED SOON. :twisted:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pardon?
Mick F. Cornwall
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Mick F wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 7:26pm Don't speak please.
I can hear nothing other than whizzing noise.
Both ears completely blocked.
I can't hear the clocks ticking, and we have a few of them.

Appointment booked for 15:40 tomorrow.
Hope this proves valuable for you.
I suffer from tinnitus. It's frustrating having the constant ringing, and I have difficulty hearing individuals in crowded settings.
That is the aspect for me that invokes some 'paranoia'. Mostly if people have laughed and I've missed something, or if I keep having to ask someone to repeat themselves.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Benz3ne wrote: I suffer from tinnitus. It's frustrating having the constant ringing, and I have difficulty hearing individuals in crowded settings.
That is the aspect for me that invokes some 'paranoia'. Mostly if people have laughed and I've missed something, or if I keep having to ask someone to repeat themselves.
Tinnitus is a real so-and-so.
Poorly understood by those who haven't got it, underestimated by the medical professionals, and often quite debilitating for sufferers.

I've had it for at least a decade in my right ear - it's occasionally sufficient to mask all other sounds.

I've come to terms with it, but I know it is a genuine cause of disability in some people.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi guys!

I can hear now. :D
Loadsa wax out of both ears, and the nurse only did the job because I've been dripping olive oil into my lug holes to soften it up. I'm an old hand at this, as the blockages happen every year.
Note my OP was in June of LAST year.

Any road up, walked into the village for the 15:40 appointment, and the lady sorted me out in less than ten minutes, and that included filling in the questionnaire first. Walked to the pub afterwards, and had three celebratory beers! :D

It's surprising what I can hear now. Simple as hearing my fingers on this keyboard, let alone hearing things like my breathing, or breezes outside.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

millimole wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 3:57pm
Benz3ne wrote: I suffer from tinnitus. It's frustrating having the constant ringing, and I have difficulty hearing individuals in crowded settings.
Tinnitus is a real so-and-so.
Poorly understood by those who haven't got it, underestimated by the medical professionals, and often quite debilitating for sufferers.

I've had it for at least a decade in my right ear - it's occasionally sufficient to mask all other sounds.

I've come to terms with it, but I know it is a genuine cause of disability in some people.
I find mine disrupts my sleep badly. When I go to bed I'm tired enough to fall asleep through it. But I wake several times in the night to pee and after around 4:00 am I'm not tired enough to fall asleep through the screaming in one ear. Happens most nights so chronic not enough sleep which makes another condition far far worse.

Ian
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

That sounds(!) horrendous - you have my sympathy.

I too have tinnitus in one ear (although when it’s bad I sort of hear it all over my head, if that makes sense), and have trouble sleeping again if I wake after about 0400, which tends to be a summer problem, but it’s not the tinnitus that causes it, I simply switch into “day mode”, and then can’t sleep, resulting in feeling dead by mid afternoon.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The tinitus in my right ear was horrendous but now the ear is clear, it's just a faint one.
I'm sure I'll sleep "soundly" tonight.

Mrs Mick F is away at the moment. She went off a week or two ago to The Gambia (again) on charity work. Due back mid November, so i'm sleeping alone ............ other than with the dog and/or the cat. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
The clocks in here have just been striking ten.
Not only can I hear them striking loud and clear, I can here the click, and the mechanisms running, even before the first bong. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

I was quite suprised to find this topic on here, as l used to be on the disabled section this forum, until the section was found to make people possibly.... uncomfortable!? In the 1960's l found l had a genetic hearing loss condition, which took decades to reach the profound hearing loss l now have! It does not stop me riding motorcycles or cycling. My youngest daughter went to work in Togo. West Africa which is in the maleria zone! As l am on a blood thinner the only maleria pills l could take was a charming medical item called...LARIAM....lots of side effects! Two weeks after coming home l found l had Tinnitus!! Now decades on l have become ...habitulated... to the Tinnitus...i.e. it become's lost? In the back ground! I too have the wax problem, but my wife was given one of those instruments to look down ear holes when she was a NHS manager. We syringe my ears at home, its quite succesfull...doing that in the shower is a big no..no...infections. On closing l purchased a yellow tabard with...DEAF CYCLIST...on the back, from of Amazon all places! I also use a bar end mirror so l am not suddenly startled by cars passing me..
Oilyhands

Post by Oilyhands »

Deafness and tinnitus in both ears for many years here. Syringing no longer recommended by the NHS , try microsuction, its free from some hospitals but there may be a waiting list. About 35 quid an ear privately.
Oilyhands

Post by Oilyhands »

Just to elaborate, syringing causes significant infection which a can travel to the brain if not remedied by antibiotics.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NHS in England advice: "Ear wax":
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/earwax-build-up/

Jonathan