Cycling and deafness

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cycling and deafness

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for the advice guys.

It was after a shower Saturday evening that my ears blocked up.
Maybe the wax was there and when giving my head and ears a good wash, I pushed the wax in and compacted it.
I'll try the aiming of the shower head directly at my lug-holes later today. :D

BTW, using Otex ear drops bought from the pharmacy at Morrisons yesterday.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:49am I can certainly relate to the effectivness of hearing as a sense. Normally one can discern all sorts of things with reasonable accuracy - such as the proximity and even the speed of an approaching vehicle, etc etc. Clever things, ears!
True. I think that the engine note can give a clue to how the vehicle is being driven.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

In a busy town/city with lots and lots of traffic on busy roads, I would be ok I think.

It's the worry of the quiet lanes with high banks, single track, no pavements and poor visibility round corners. Hearing is a must IMHO as I can (normally) hear traffic approaching front or rear.
Mick F. Cornwall
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:30amthere's always the Sheldon version - looks a bit weird but I bet it works OK!
I've got one of those, it's uselessness is only exceeded by its dangerousness.

The problem with it is that when you lean forward on the bike, the mirror height is below shoulder level, so your shoulder blocks the view of the road/traffic behind (see pic below). You just get a view of sky at the top, and shoulder at the bottom. When I caught myself wobbling across the road into the path of the oncoming traffic as I swivelled my head looking for view behind I decided enough was enough, and binned it.

Another major problem is that it creates a whacking great blind spot, big enough to hide your view of oncoming traffic when you're looking right whilst pulling out from a give way line.

I thought they were a great idea until I tried one.

Mirror Problem.jpg
Mirror Problem.jpg (35.14 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

axel_knutt wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 11:18am
simonineaston wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:30amthere's always the Sheldon version - looks a bit weird but I bet it works OK!
I've got one of those, it's uselessness is only exceeded by its dangerousness.

The problem with it is that when you lean forward on the bike, the mirror height is below shoulder level, so your shoulder blocks the view of the road/traffic behind (see pic below). You just get a view of sky at the top, and shoulder at the bottom. When I caught myself wobbling across the road into the path of the oncoming traffic as I swivelled my head looking for view behind I decided enough was enough, and binned it.

Another major problem is that it creates a whacking great blind spot, big enough to hide your view of oncoming traffic when you're looking right whilst pulling out from a give way line.

I thought they were a great idea until I tried one.

Mirror Problem.jpg
I find none of those problems.
Perhaps you should try fitting it in a different place?
I have mine forward and outside of my lenses, so that it is not in my foward field of view and certainly obscures nothing. I adjust it so that the side of my head is just at the edge of the reflected image. Small movements of my head give me all the coverage I need. It is easy to get a complete view of the road behind.
It did take a little getting used to, and some adjustment. Did you persevere at all?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Had a shower, and put the shower head whilst adjusted and focused into my left ear. Nice warm water.

Not made a ha'porth of difference.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 6:09pm Had a shower, and put the shower head whilst adjusted and focused into my left ear. Nice warm water.

Not made a ha'porth of difference.
I would not expect this douche to remove an accumulated plug of wax.
I think my washing out of the ear with every shower stops the wax building up. I like to make sure that some suds are washed into my ear too, and then washed out.
Removing the plug is a more difficult operation. Thirdcrank mentions Specsavers at £55!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Eat more fish to reduce ear wax-water has no impact other than to make ear raw..
Ray

Post by Ray »

mumbojumbo wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 7:51pm Eat more fish to reduce ear wax
Really? Never heard of that. Any evidence?

And more than how much?
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Feeling terrible this morning. :cry:

Otex ear drops have hydrogen peroxide in it and the pharmacist told me that my ears will fizz and pop ............. but they didn't and haven't. My ears just feel damp and oily.

The drops have done absolutely nothing, so now feeling that I have an inner ear infection .......... as suggested by rjb above.
Right ear has been iffy for a couple of weeks or more, and now worse, and the left is now completely deaf. Ringing in my ears, slight headache, and feeling generally rubbish.

To this end, Mrs Mick F has made an appointment for me (I could't operate a phone with these ears!) and I'll be seeing the quack at 11am this morning.

Back later with an update.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ray wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 9:52pm
mumbojumbo wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 7:51pm Eat more fish to reduce ear wax
Really? Never heard of that. Any evidence?

And more than how much?
I'm not aware of any evidence for this.

But searching the web on the subject depressingly reveals as much unevidenced guff as you might expect.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NHS advice: "Earwax build-up":
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/earwax-build-up/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 10:16am Feeling terrible this morning. :cry:

Otex ear drops have hydrogen peroxide in it and the pharmacist told me that my ears will fizz and pop ............. but they didn't and haven't. My ears just feel damp and oily.

The drops have done absolutely nothing, so now feeling that I have an inner ear infection .......... as suggested by rjb above.
Right ear has been iffy for a couple of weeks or more, and now worse, and the left is now completely deaf. Ringing in my ears, slight headache, and feeling generally rubbish.

To this end, Mrs Mick F has made an appointment for me (I could't operate a phone with these ears!) and I'll be seeing the quack at 11am this morning.

Back later with an update.
Lugs are extremely important and not just as a way of keeping frame tubes together. This isn't just about hearing but also balance and ultimately mental well-being. If ear wax can't be dealt with quickly at home with drops then IMO it needs professional attention before it really does get worse. This was why I was amazed that routine syringing seems not to be automatically available on the NHS. Good luck with this and if you don't get it sorted via your GP, then I'd reiterate my recommendation for the Specsavers service. The nearest thing there is to magic.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 10:52amThis was why I was amazed that routine syringing seems not to be automatically available on the NHS.
Current NICE guidance:
https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/earwax/m ... anagement/

(This only applies in England... NICE guidance doesn't quite define what the NHS must provide, but it isn't far off.)

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For the ordinary person who doesn't want to get at loggerheads with their GP's receptionist, never mind their actual GP, then I can only say "that sounds very NICE." (BTW, when I refer to syringing, I've no idea if that's the correct expression.)

If all GPs were routinely offering "business as usual" over this, it's hard to see there would be any takers for Specsavers at £55 a throw.