P-38 build

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Blondie

Re: P-38 build

Post by Blondie »

Thought I’d add it here as might be useful info

A tubus Cosmo rear rack will fit the P38 if

You use struts around 140mm with 19mm offset and 15-20mm spacers at dropouts to clear disc calliper.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I rang UPS this morning, spoke to someone with a heavy African accent and was told all international shipments need a commercial invoice and I could print one off from the website. So I went to the website and found a shipping tool which was meant to prepare the invoice for me. BUT it required me to purchase a new shipment. I found the form as a blank PDF, which looked confusing. Found a user guide. Started filling it in on-screen. I couldn't enter the "ship to" details in the box. So I filled out the rest & printed it, intending to add the outstanding details by hand. I had doubts about the value I should declare. This is returned goods so zero? I rang UPS again, advised to leave it blank. Wasn't sure how to fix the A4 form to the narrow box when I wanted it to be readable and I don't have those clear shipping transparent sticky envelopes. So I've gone back to the small Royal Mail CN22A customs declaration form, put it an value of £0.00 and declared it as returned goods for repair, and stuck it to the side of the box. Whole morning gone. Will drop it off tomorrow.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I put the suspension fork on so I can continue some of the build. Shown below with shortened riser and Giro bars. The riser clamp was welded to the riser, so it got removed when shortening the risr. I have a suitable Bacchetta clamp which is fitted. The headset adjuster wouldn't fit on the steerer of the suspension fork. The carbon fork steerer must have a smaller diameter.

EDIT; Oh, and I put my finger through the seat pad when flipping it over. It really is rather naff.
IMG_20210822_132943_HDR.jpg
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

The UPS saga continues. The collection store wouldn't accept it without 3 copies of the commericial invoice, so I'll have to print off and fillout 3 of the forms, and lightly sellotape them to the box I guess so they can be detached and unfolded for inspection. I'll leave the CN22 customs declaration on which should be sufficient for them to not bother and let it through.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

UpWrong wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 10:15am... so I'll have to print off and fillout 3 of the forms, and lightly sellotape them to the box I guess so they can be detached and unfolded for inspection. I'll leave the CN22 customs declaration on which should be sufficient for them to not bother and let it through.
How about using self-sealing bags with the documents inside and only the bags taped to the box?

Jonathan
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 10:17am
UpWrong wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 10:15am... so I'll have to print off and fillout 3 of the forms, and lightly sellotape them to the box I guess so they can be detached and unfolded for inspection. I'll leave the CN22 customs declaration on which should be sufficient for them to not bother and let it through.
How about using self-sealing bags with the documents inside and only the bags taped to the box?

Jonathan
I don't have any and my local post office didn't have anything of the sort. Wish I'd used Royal Mail now. A single CN22 stuck on the side is sufficient for them. Why the difference? It must be UPS processes I guess.

EDIT: Ok, probably better to get some, "Documents Enclosed wallets". Have ordered on-line. More delays, and bank holiday weekend coming up. Just have to grin and bear it.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Hurrah, the documents enclosed wallets arrived promptly. Impressed by the service and product from https://rvpackaging.co.uk/

I dropped the fork off at the collection point. The guy scanning the barcode wasn't fussed about the presence or not of the 3 commerical invoices. He seemed satisfied with the CN22 customs declaration I had put on. Anyway, belt and braces. Glad it got moving before the bank holiday.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Crankset: Spa XD2R triple with 160mm cranks, 24/33/44 rings (inner steel)
Axix Light titanium 110mm square taper BB
Total 835g (forgot to include the crank bolts)

Wheels with tubes and tyres ready to go (no QRs):
Front 1390g
Rear 2225g
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I installed the BB and it felt notchy, so have replaced the DS bearing which is a press fit. Thanks to Brucey it was done quickly and easily: BB in the freezer with some oil on, bearing under the grill on the plate-warmer setting, a drift to fit the inner race, a rubber mallet to give it a good whack. It worked much better than pressing it on with a crank bolt, which is how I changed the NDS bearing a few months back. Nice to learn a new trick :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

My fork has been delivered back to Lightning Bikes. Phew!
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

Where did you buy your TA bottom bracket, if I may ask? Spa list an AXIS LITE, but I think theirs' has The CroMo axle not the titanium. I have a similar chainset to yours on my Giro, and fancy a lighter BB. Getting one in the longer axle lengths seem a bit of a problem.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Loomis wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 5:28pm Where did you buy your TA bottom bracket, if I may ask? Spa list an AXIS LITE, but I think theirs' has The CroMo axle not the titanium. I have a similar chainset to yours on my Giro, and fancy a lighter BB. Getting one in the longer axle lengths seem a bit of a problem.
I got mine a long, long time ago. It looks like they are available from Chicken Cycle Kit, https://www.chickencyclekit.co.uk/show_ ... t=0&p=2785
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Lightning have repaired the fork but asked for $60 to ship the fork back to me. That's a fair bit more than I paid to ship it out, but I decided it wasn't worth quibbling over. Just hope it's declared as "returned goods" so I don't get charged customs tariffs and import duties etc.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Will it be ready for Gravesend BHPC ?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

yostumpy wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 1:08pm Will it be ready for Gravesend BHPC ?
I'm afraid not. I've had lot of other stuff going on. Looks like I will be prioritising getting my AZUB Origami ready for sale to make some space.