West Highland Railway extra bike space

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Enigmadick

Scotrail introduce carriages with spaces for 20 bikes

Post by Enigmadick »

https://www.facebook.com/291549024202481/posts/3907239965966684/

Much needed from Thurso and Wick especially on Monday mornings.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
Paulatic

Re: Scotrail introduce carriages with spaces for 20 bikes

Post by Paulatic »

2018. viewtopic.php?t=126623

2019. viewtopic.php?t=133562
2020 viewtopic.php?t=135348

I think it will now be 2021 before I use it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Adamcycles17

New cycle trains to Oban that will taken tandems

Post by Adamcycles17 »

Article in Modern Railways this month about the refurbished class 153 trains coming to the Glasgow to Oban line in 2021.
The very good news as they will take 20 bikes including tandems. So it will be possible to take a tandem on ScotRail for the first time ever.
Two more trains will then be added for Inverness to Wick, later when converted.
I can now plan island cycling on our tandem
Attachments
IMG_20201023_175641947.jpg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Excellent.

Does anyone know how they were persuaded?

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Persuaded?
I thought they were meeting demand. The days I used the WHL every train carried the maximum 6 bikes and then there are all the rucksacks for Rannoch moor. Also the area is to be used for skis and equipment through their season.

E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There seems to be lots of unmet demand elsewhere.

Does anyone know why they made this decision at this time?

Thanks

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote:There seems to be lots of unmet demand elsewhere.

Does anyone know why they made this decision at this time?

Thanks

Jonathan

I’m not sure I understand 'decision at this time'. Do you mean now and Covid times as there is no demand anywhere presently. Every train WCML that passes me has rarely more than one passenger per carriage.
The decision to create the carriage was made a few years ago. My neighbour works for Abellio and knows one of the guys involved with design. Being announced now, delayed really because of Covid, is just the end product of a few years work.

E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm sorry that my wording didn't meet your standards at either attempt. I'll try again.

There's a lot of discussion about why there isn't more space for HPVs, of both common and uncommon forms, on trains in the UK. I'm pleased that one operator on the line is increasing capacity. I'm interested in the chain of events that led to that increase, no matter how long ago they occurred.

It's possible that if we understand that chain of events we might be more effective in obtaining an increase on other lines.

Jonathan
AlanInBangor

Post by AlanInBangor »

Very good news but provision south of Inverness is dreadful, with the refurbished HSTs having an absurdly small cupboard which can cope with only one touring bike.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote:I'm sorry that my wording didn't meet your standards at either attempt. I'll try again.

There's a lot of discussion about why there isn't more space for HPVs, of both common and uncommon forms, on trains in the UK. I'm pleased that one operator on the line is increasing capacity. I'm interested in the chain of events that led to that increase, no matter how long ago they occurred.

It's possible that if we understand that chain of events we might be more effective in obtaining an increase on other lines.

Jonathan

The only standard I was working to was to understand.

I see you are asking regarding the UK and can’t comment on rUK. In Scotland Scot Gov have a Transport Action Plan. The WHL was one of the points to address. From your comment I surmise you haven’t been on the WHL there is only one operator. It’s a huge underexploited tourist opportunity IMV with a huge existing and potentially untapped demand.

"an extract from that plan"
West Highland Line
The Sustainable and Active Travel Team and the Rail Franchise Team are working collaboratively with ScotRail and HiTRANs to look into demand and solutions for cycle carrying capacity on the West Highland Lines and Serco Caledonian Sleeper service and how to manage capacity during peak times.
The early work will be looking at existing demand/opportunities which will be backed up by surveys of cycle numbers and potentially questionnaires for both cyclists and non-cyclists.

E2E info
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Paulatic wrote: It’s a huge underexploited tourist opportunity IMV with a huge existing and potentially untapped demand.

Absolutely. My father was from South Uist, in the Outer Hebrides. For the last 8 years we've holidayed on the islands, and love it. I've cycled a fair bit round Eriskay (such as you can!) and South Uist. I would love to take the bike up there, without a car, and do the Hebridean Way, and whatever else. In fact I had a precise itinerary worked out for the end of May this year.

The cycling and finding places to stay isn't a problem. I know what it's like to cycle on the islands, so could be prepared (I am). The thing that was a worry was getting a bike onto a train, off a train, booking a slot, finding the slot isn't free so I have to take a later train and miss the ferry. And so on and so on. And especially if I wanted to do this in a group.

It looks like Glasgow to Oban/Mallaig will be a lot better with these carriages. If trains to Glasgow could be more bike friendly, that would help a lot.

If the trains allow*, I'll do it on a train. If not, I'll drive to Oban, dump the car, and get the ferry. Bonkers, eh?

*by "allow" I mean "not be a complete pain in the bum to arrange, leaving me with the uncertainty that the arrangement will work, and have to do strength training to make it possible for me to hoist my heavy touring bike up into the overhead hangers".
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, "Tricycles"??? Any chance????? MM
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mikeymo wrote:If trains to Glasgow could be more bike friendly, that would help a lot..

How would you be getting to Glasgow?
Avanti west coast is now very bike friendly.
Sweep
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Sweep wrote:
mikeymo wrote:If trains to Glasgow could be more bike friendly, that would help a lot..

How would you be getting to Glasgow?
Avanti west coast is now very bike friendly.

From Leeds. Do Avanti go from Leeds? If so that's good to hear. Do I have to hang the bike up?

I thought about the sleeper and carrying on till Fort William, but the man in seat 61 said something about having to get up at Edinburgh and move the bike. My planned trip last year involved coming back on the sleeper. I end up in Preston or Crewe, so have to get back across somehow. I've actually got relatives half way between Preston and Leeds, so I suppose I could use the cycle.

Of course this all depends which ports Calmac are running from. Over the years we've been going it's changed.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

OK ... the Class 153 is a single carriage rebuild of the 80's class 155 sprinter. .... Can't self rescue and has been removed from service with most UK operators .... But Scotrail have taken it onboard for their Active Travel initiative, well done them;

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/netwo ... ain-scheme
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.