Cycle trip south Devon

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
alan dun

Cycle trip south Devon

Post by alan dun »

Just thought I'd pick the collective brain..

I'm planning a 3-4 day cycle trip in south Devon in August - and had originally thought about the Devon coast to coast - but the distance from Minehead to the nearest station has put me off, so am thinking about taking the train to Exeter and sticking to South Devon/Dartmoor instead.

Does anyone have any good tips/routes?

I'm a veteran in my 70's so looking to do no more than 35-40 miles a day.
horizon

Re: Cycle trip south Devon

Post by horizon »

Just a quick reply to say that you would be looking at Ilfracombe not Minehead so that should be easier. Lots of flat going as well:

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-rout ... -to-coast/
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Devon in general is very hilly.
DARTMOOR and the north and south coast more so.
But that's where the scenery is.
In actual fact Minehead (which I stupidly thought was in Devon ha ha) to Torquay it's probably one of the easiest rides, 75 miles I've done it in about 4 1/4 hours in the past.
But there's not a lot to see on the route.

Off the top of my head from Exeter I would either go up to Okehampton then pick up the cycle route all the way down to Plymouth, then along the coast Back towards Torquay, from then east is one of the most scenic routes along the whole of the Cornwall and Devon coast.
In actual fact from Plymouth all the way to Seaton Is the best.

Other than that you could go from Exeter straight down the cycle path to hit the South Devon coast and go either way east or west.

North Devon coast is very hilly and of course it is quieter than the South Devon coast.
South Devon still has its hills.
It might depend on how you are intending to stay overnight? And what do you want to see?

From Exeter the cycle route which is a cycle path mainly off road which goes from Dawlish all the way to Exeter and then down to Exmouth is easy and pleasant.
Pan flat all the way :)
Likewise from Ilfracombe to Barnstable and Bideford and from Barnstable to Okehampton Tavistock Plymouth it's also easy and mostly off-road.
You can do all this stuff with a touring bike and there's not a lot of rough stuff nowadays.
The only rough stuff was from Meeth North of Okehampton to Barnstaple, But I believe this has been cleaned up mostly and most of it was good anyway so you won't have any trouble even on a road bike.

If you're looking for peace and quiet and wild camping? then Exeter Moretonhampstead Okehampton Tavistock Ivybridge Newton Abbott then back along the coast to Exeter.
All from Tavistock you could go Princetown then take your pick to go back to Moretonhampstead or cut down to Newton Abbot and back to Exeter.

So much to see there and so little time of course.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

alan dun wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 9:26amDoes anyone have any good tips/routes?
(Edit: totally revised my previous suggested routes as I hadn't spotted you were after 3 to 4 days.)

Here's what I'd do:

Day 1: Take the NCN 'tour de manche' route from Exeter to South Zeal. (South Zeal is an interesting Dartmoor village with an excellent pub - The Kings Arms - which often has good live music and might let you camp in their garden if you ask nicely.)

Day 2: 'Tour de Manche' then NCN27 routes via Okehampton to Tavistock. The Stannary Brewery in Tavistock has an excellent brewery tap with good food - only Friday/Saturday though.

Day 3: NCN27 from Tavistock to Plymouth. (If staying in Plymouth, there's 'Riverside' campsite or you can wild camp in the woods alongside the bike route. Be warned though - it's also a popular set of fast mountain bike trails, so avoid any noticeably worn ground when choosing a spot.)

Day 3 or Day 4: NCN2 from Plymouth to Totnes. (Both Plymouth and Totnes have plenty to see/do. The Dartington Estate has camping.)

Then get the train from Totnes to Exeter or wherever you're going.

One bullet-proof way to stick to the route is to download the Cyclestreets app onto your phone and get that to plot the quietest route (which in this case will be the NCN routes) between your start and end points. You can then either use it as a full sat nav, or just as a map which (when you press the location button) will show your position in relation to the route on the map.
Last edited by DevonDamo on 28 Jul 2021, 11:19am, edited 4 times in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
horizon wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:07am Just a quick reply to say that you would be looking at Ilfracombe not Minehead so that should be easier. Lots of flat going as well:

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-rout ... -to-coast/

Yes, that's a pretty recognised route.
And easy going especially Ilfracombe to Plymouth.
there is no big hills on that route even if you went Plymouth Ilfracombe.
And thinking About it would probably be a good route with limited time.
The problem is of course getting from Ilfracombe or too.
Certainly scenic and quiet too.
In my experience it never gets very busy, as a lot of tourists don't intend doing more in about 30 or 40 miles in a day.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
DevonDamo's Suggestion looks very good.
It will all depend of course on what the OP intends to do whether they intend to work from a base or whether they will be touring with a tent/B&B et cetera?
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

This is all really helpful! Thank you.
I'm getting the maps out again..
Thinking of travelling from place to place, not staying put, but that's not set in stone. Looks like 3-4 days may be a bit meagre with rich bike pickings In Devon!
I'm guessing in summer holiday season, one of the main things is to stay well clear of main routes through...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Maybe accommodation should be your first consideration.

School hols + staycations + Devon - sounds like a perfect storm to me.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Perhaps too cross-reference this topic, South Hams being notorious for switchback hills, which may be short in length compared with some but make up for that deficiency in steepness and frequency. But you may know that already. Plus one for the warning re numbers and timing - nearly everyone I know who has a family seems to be heading for the south-west this summer...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Got back from a mini tour on Sunday which included NCN27. My thoughts -

I love this ride. I have done parts of it many times and the whole thing twice - once in a day.

Ilfracombe to Barnestaple - not flat! Only 15 miles but involves a big up and down. Don’t let it put you off though. Although it’s a short day, Barnstaple could be good for somewhere to stay.

Barnstaple to Bideford - Bear in mind that Bideford is on the other side of the river. Easy and flat to do. Barnstaple is worth a look round and has a good bike shop near the bridge.

Bideford to Yarde. Tarka Trail. Popular but not that busy once away from the towns. It is not the Camel Trail in terms of popularity. Yarde has a great cafe, bunkhouse and campsite. Lovely place!

The official route then takes you west to Petrockstowe before coming back to Hatherleigh. Bit lumpy. Or you head south, ignoring the route signs. A main road awaits but it’s not too bad during the week.

Hatherleigh to Okehampton - up a big hill before heading across the top towards Jacobstowe. Then comes a draggy climb with very poor road surface. Or you can take the unofficial way to Okehampton making up your own route. West Down Farm has a campsite along this way and there are one or two others.

Okehampton to Tavistock is mostly old railway with a little bit of minor roads. You have an option of going through Lydford or bypassing. Only do the bypass if you like proper off-road.

Tavistock to Yelverton. Easy stuff for most including the lovely Gem Bridge. There is one steep climb but it’s quite short.

Yelverton to Plymouth - pretty much downhill all the way.

I met some chaps who dropped a vehicle in Plymouth and then trained up to the North coast. Did the train journey in a couple of hours.

Lots of other riding in the area but be prepared for lots of ups and downs on the coasts and even more on Dartmoor or Exmoor.

Hope this helps.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I did the Devon coast to coast with my then 8 year old daughter. She loved it, and it’s not too hilly. There are trains from both Plymouth and Barnstaple as well, so getting to either end isn’t too bad. From Plymouth there is a signed route that goes down to Salcombe, over the ferry, and around the head at East Portlemouth (route 28) that could very easily be incorporated into this end to get a bit further distance as well.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 2:24pm Perhaps too cross-reference this topic, South Hams being notorious for switchback hills, which may be short in length compared with some but make up for that deficiency in steepness and frequency. But you may know that already. Plus one for the warning re numbers and timing - nearly everyone I know who has a family seems to be heading for the south-west this summer...
Yes, I live in the South Hams and it’s not great touring country. Major (laughingly used term- some of them still have single carriage sections) roads are heavily in use by holiday traffic and minor roads extremely steep and still annoyingly full of range rovers. So much though I love it here it’s better for walking. totnes and roughly north of the a38 is better. Dartmoor is pretty good- although there is too much traffic and some short steep climbs overall it’s a better balance. Exmoor is fabulous- longer hills rather than short ones on the whole. Just to the east of exmoor the Somerset levels give long flat sections which can also be very nice.

I’d also vote for sticking to the coast to coast I think although I’ve only done sections of it.
Gerry557

Post by Gerry557 »

alan dun wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 9:26am Just thought I'd pick the collective brain..

I'm planning a 3-4 day cycle trip in south Devon in August - and had originally thought about the Devon coast to coast - but the distance from Minehead to the nearest station has put me off, so am thinking about taking the train to Exeter and sticking to South Devon/Dartmoor instead.

Does anyone have any good tips/routes?

I'm a veteran in my 70's so looking to do no more than 35-40 miles a day.
I think you need to clarify where/how you are going to be accommodated. Fixed position or changing daily , I assume the latter. Do you have support ie family/friend with transport or just cycling? If you are using hotels or camping? Roads only or MTB routes or mixed gentle off road

As for the Devon C2C its Ilfracombe not Minehead. You could stay in/near Barnstaple, where the train arrives and do a loop from Barnstaple to the start of the C2C and back for day one, approx 30 miles or just miss out that bit completely if your not bothered actually "doing the Devon C2C" and just want to enjoy a cycling touring holiday.

There are camp sites in the Braunton area. A flat 6ish mile ride from the station after a long travel day, set up there and ride without tents to start and back to camp site, have coffee and pack and move on. A bit less load might allow a bit more in the cycling legs.

Do come back and tell us all about it
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

I wrote up the Devon coast to coast after I rode it this year (I come from Tavistock)
There are maps, pictures and links to GPX routes with full route instructions
I'm doing a series of these which are available to anyone, just to share the joy of touring and to get a resource where everything you need s in one place.
I did in in 5 days, going up and back, but took my time, notably because I was making notes, taking pictures etc
Neil

https://www.bikexplore.co.uk/Articles-o ... t-to-Coast
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

Nick,
That's great, what a lovely piece of work.
I shall enjoy reading.
thanks and good luck
Alan