Electric everything.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jb

Re: Electric everything.

Post by jb »

When that's taken off you, you'll simply adapt to a different way of thinking about it. As has happened all through history.
If the Romans could run an empire from a horse I'm sure we can manage.
Cheers
J Bro
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

So drive at a million miles an hour and never rest… not a good way to do a journey.

Driving long distances isn’t a chore in an ev, it’s far nicer than doing so in an ICE vehicle.

With 350kW charging becoming the norm it will soon be a six minute stop every few hours - and I tend to quote motorway mileage, because town mileage is basically irrelevant, since it’s home charging. (350kW is 1400-1700 miles an hour charging)

The range anxiety I am seeing at the moment from all the petrol drivers is hilarious,
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 9:58am Interconnects avoid using fossil fuel systems even when total demand is low... area averaging for solar and wind power, and different demand from even small differences in behaviour... massive live sporting events being the exception!

PS: Of course the UK's National Grid is an interconnect...
"It's an interconnect, Jim. but not as we know it!"
https://reneweconomy.com.au/massive-10- ... wer-to-uk/

Jonathan

[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

10.5GW dedicated to the UK, but less than 4GW delivered?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Assume the idea is the battery is used to smooth the power delivery. The interconnect part is the easy bit. 20GWh of battery however is huge. Probably not the smallest carbon footprint on that either.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The interconnect might be "easy", but I doubt it.

4000 kilometres of high voltage DC cable is a significant engineering challenge.

What's interesting is that they intent to produce more than twice what the interconnect can handle - and the battery bank can exceed what the interconnect can handle....

I know there will be losses in the interconnect, but I can't believe it's less than 40% efficient.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The demand for HVDC cable, to connect these offshore farms to shore is expected to grow rapidly, to more than three times current capacity, over the next ten years.”

; - )

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 10:01am The interconnect might be "easy", but I doubt it.
I meant in relative terms :) suspect it is rather easier than 20GWh of batteries.

I'd figure the 10.5GW is peak middle of day solar plus maximum wind generation so probably quite a rare event, hence being so high. If more normal daytime levels are around 8-9gw then 5 goes to the battery, 3.6 feeds to the interconnect. When wind/sun is low (and uk demand is high) battery feeds interconnect until it depletes.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

20GWh of batteries is easy - they can just be scaled out on the ground - expensive, but easy.

Burying anything under the sea floor is always a challenge, even more so for a very high voltage DC interconnect (any idea what voltage they are actually running at?)

Even at a mere 3.6GW (i.e. just the interconnect) it's 10% of our current (instantaneous) demand, which is a pretty nice contribution.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 12:26pmBurying anything under the sea floor is always a challenge, even more so for a very high voltage DC interconnect (any idea what voltage they are actually running at?)
I haven't been able to discover that.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Wikipedia says:
Most HVDC links typically use voltages between 100 kV and 800 kV. However, a 1,100 kV link in China was completed in 2019 over a distance of 3,300 km (2,100 mi) with a power capacity of 12 GW.
jb

Post by jb »

I thought there was a shortage of electric in Morocco? is this not akin to the Irish potato famine?
Cheers
J Bro
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

3.6GW of reliable energy for an average of 20+ hours a day
So long as the 4 are at a predictable (or preferably choosable) time, then it can be considered baseload.

An interesting project.
jb

Post by jb »

Thanks
Hope they use some of it for there own needs.
Cheers
J Bro