Moderates and Extremists

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Hellhound

Re: Moderates and Extremists

Post by Hellhound »

reohn2 wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 11:09am
Hellhound wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 10:35am
On a side note we visited Stratford-upon-Avon a couple of weeks ago.Had a very pleasant day and did none of the 'Shakespeare touristy' stuff.Nice little riverside town in it's own right and well worth a visit regardless of a certain person being born there!
Could it be such a nice and pleasant place because Shakespeare was born and lived there and as a result was put on map which brought in the tourists and consequentially the money?
Possibly.
Stratford,like many other old British towns,would still get tourists.Probably not the 1000s it does but it still would.I'm sure there are many folk who visit our old towns/villages just because they are there rather than because of a connection to a 'famous' person?
I can't think of anywhere off the top of my head I've visited because of a connection to someone or other.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hellhound wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 11:52am
reohn2 wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 11:09am
Hellhound wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 10:35am
On a side note we visited Stratford-upon-Avon a couple of weeks ago.Had a very pleasant day and did none of the 'Shakespeare touristy' stuff.Nice little riverside town in it's own right and well worth a visit regardless of a certain person being born there!
Could it be such a nice and pleasant place because Shakespeare was born and lived there and as a result was put on map which brought in the tourists and consequentially the money?
Possibly.
Stratford,like many other old British towns,would still get tourists.Probably not the 1000s it does but it still would.I'm sure there are many folk who visit our old towns/villages just because they are there rather than because of a connection to a 'famous' person?
I can't think of anywhere off the top of my head I've visited because of a connection to someone or other.
Tell you what,if you took even just the Japanese tourists alone out of S on A the town would be far poorer.
The vast number of tourists visit there because of it's Shakespearean heritage,that's a fact.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Some people like theatres and admire Shakespeare.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 8:48pm Some people like theatres and admire Shakespeare.
And a heckova lot of 'em visit S on A because they do.

To be clear,I'm not one of them,but I can appreciate that there are many people who do.
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

reohn2 wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 6:52pm Tell you what,if you took even just the Japanese tourists alone out of S on A the town would be far poorer.
The vast number of tourists visit there because of it's Shakespearean heritage,that's a fact.
I'm sure it is but my point is they'd still visit regardless.People visit villages/towns/cities for no other reason than they're there and look nice.I'm sure London gets millions of visitors who don't give a..... about the Royal family for instance.I've been to our capital loads of times and not once have I gone to see Buck house.
Of course having a famous connection,dead or alive,will bring in visitors but it is not the be all and end all!

As for the Theatre at Stratford well the modern bit is a monstrosity and unfortunately you get to see it in all it's glory from the river :roll: Cost £110 million too apparently.For that money surely it could have been in keeping with the rest of the old building?!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hellhound wrote: 6 Sep 2021, 1:06pm
I'm sure it is but my point is they'd still visit regardless.
No I think you're wrong in that assumption,the very reason people visit S on A is because of it's Shakespearean conections,yes people would visit there were it not the case but nowhere near as many.
As for the Theatre at Stratford well the modern bit is a monstrosity and unfortunately you get to see it in all it's glory from the river :roll: Cost £110 million too apparently.For that money surely it could have been in keeping with the rest of the old building?!
That's an architectural opinion and nothing more,I dare say there as many people think the opposite.
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Been there many times with our theatre club in all the various venues. We usually arrived by coach for lunch and saw a matinee. Once we saw Wolf Hall in the afternoon and Bring up the Bodies in the evening. It was the last night before the move to the West End. Love the town for a wander and the nice riverside bit too. Enery was an extremist by all accounts...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

reohn2 wrote: 6 Sep 2021, 4:23pm
Hellhound wrote: 6 Sep 2021, 1:06pm I'm sure it is but my point is they'd still visit regardless.
No I think you're wrong in that assumption,the very reason people visit S on A is because of it's Shakespearean conections,yes people would visit there were it not the case but nowhere near as many.
You sort of contradict yourself in that sentence!?You say I'm wrong then agree :wink: I know it gets 1000s of visitors because of Bill but due to the location would anyway.A bit like Grasmere in the the Lake District.1000s visit(especially Japanese) for the Wordsworth connection and Dove cottage.Many more 1000s visit because of what and where it is.I'm sure this is the case for any place with a connection to someone or other.
I could probably put a list up of 100 places I've been to and someone could probably name a connection to someone that I was unaware of!

reohn2 wrote: 6 Sep 2021, 4:23pm That's an architectural opinion and nothing more,I dare say there as many people think the opposite.

Possibly.I didn't claim it to be anything more?I still think for £110m they could have just extended it more sympathetically!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

No contradiction on my part,merely illustrating that the main attraction to S on A is Shakespearean,without him the place would just have been another riverside town or city,it's attraction is built on him

As for the new Theatre your opinion is your opinion and nothing more or less FTM,other people may have opinions that contradict yours.
Everyone's taste differs,for my part I have no strong feelings either way on it.
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

reohn2 wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 6:35pm As for the new Theatre your opinion is your opinion and nothing more or less FTM,other people may have opinions that contradict yours.
Everyone's taste differs,for my part I have no strong feelings either way on it.
I believe I already answered that when I stated 'I didn't claim it to be anything else' :wink: I don't particularly care what yours or anyone else's opinion is on it!
reohn2 wrote: 6 Sep 2021, 4:23pm No I think you're wrong in that assumption,the very reason people visit S on A is because of it's Shakespearean conections,yes people would visit there were it not the case but nowhere near as many.
Telling someone they're wrong then agreeing with them is a contradiction which ever way you look at it.
I'm off for a raz out to Helmsley in North Yorkshire on my motorbike for no other reason than it's a nice little town and a nice little run getting there.That's what folk do.Visit nice places for the sake of it :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm not going to continue to split hairs with you the matter so I'll leave at that thanks.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm not going to continue to split hairs with you on the matter,so I'll leave at that thanks.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 2:18pm
slowster wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 5:39pm
Jdsk wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 11:48am "A former student who downloaded almost 70,000 white supremacist documents and bomb-making instructions has avoided a prison sentence “by the skin of his teeth” after being told to read classic literature by Dickens, Austen, Shakespeare and Hardy."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ace-prison

Unusual, but not particularly cruel.
After making John promise not to research any more rightwing material, the judge continued: “Have you read Dickens? Austen? Start with Pride and Prejudice and Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. Think about Hardy. Think about Trollope.

“On 4 January you will tell me what you have read and I will test you on it. I will test you and if I think you are [lying to] me you will suffer.”
A good judge of law maybe, but not of literature. Any of Austen's other novels would be would be more appropriate than Pride and Prejudice. It could have been worse I suppose - he might have told him to read Middlemarch.
""We have received a request for the sentence of Ben John to be considered under the unduly lenient sentence (ULS) scheme."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-58425648
Appeal on sentence allowed:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -classsics

It's going to be Bleak House, isn't it?

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hellhound wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 10:09am

Possibly.I didn't claim it to be anything more?I still think for £110m they could have just extended it more sympathetically!
I can't tell from that photo which bit is the extension... (and the other photo didn't render for me)

But the attraction of Willm is one of the things that allow people to know about the town and therefore consider visiting it.. There are plenty of other attractive towns around the country that noone would visit because noone knows about them.

Having that hook allows all sorts of excellent stuff to develop around it, until it can almost be self sustaining.

I particularly enjoy the MAD museum there.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.