Moderates and Extremists

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Moderates and Extremists

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 9:03pm You can lead an 'orse to water...
Or Dorothy Parker's version, with a conclusion that might be all too true in this case.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Hellhound wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 9:01pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 4:27pm
Hellhound wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 2:40pm
I'd rather go to prison :lol:
No one who has ever stepped inside a prison would say that. I assume you have not 😀
Then you assume wrong :roll:
I would rather go to prison than read any of that drivel :lol:
Your might not like this literature, but hardly drivel…
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I can't comment on this partic. case, as I don't know enough about the characters concerned, but I do wonder if the judge may have misunderstood the nature of modern extremism. I completely get the idea that we all can benefit from reading - and reading those books that are regarded by most as important. Of course, all will have their own idea of which books are on their list, hence all those list books - see here .
We're all familiar too with the idea that political activists will have spent a lot of time forming their ideas by reading - Karl Max had his own chair at the British Library. Let's hope the individual condemned to reform-by-reading enjoys his 'set books'... !
However, I wonder if the judge has taken into account the effect of social media on the development of ideas in the individual's mind. We read of the addictive nature of social media and also of the echo-chamber nature of posting on forums where readers focus on posts that amplify and reverberate the ideas expressed in their own posts. There seems to be little scope for careful and considered criticism online. The nature of the online environment is a million miles away from the quiet calm and slow learning to be gained from sitting alone and reading a book in the old fashioned way. I'm going to bet that the miscreant we have heard about will simply lack the patience to plough through those oldies and find a new enlightned way... Hope I'm wrong, mind.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Oldjohnw wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 10:04pm
Hellhound wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 9:01pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 4:27pm
No one who has ever stepped inside a prison would say that. I assume you have not 😀
Then you assume wrong :roll:
I would rather go to prison than read any of that drivel :lol:
Your might not like this literature, but hardly drivel…
We were forced to read Dickens and Shakespeare at school and IMO it's absolute drivel!Most of 'the classics' are!I haven't read a book since leaving school and doubt I ever will again.Life is too short.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

That is a point of view, but I never understand the boast that people haven’t read a book. You are also stating that a view formed as a young teenager is with you for life. Not broadening of the mind or life long learning.

Ignorance is, I guess, bliss.
John
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Oldjohnw wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 10:55am That is a point of view, but I never understand the boast that people haven’t read a book. You are also stating that a view formed as a young teenager is with you for life. Not broadening of the mind or life long learning.
I am not 'boasting' but rather stating a fact!I see little point in wasting my valuable time on a book :roll: I learned at school that learning has nowt to do with books neither has broadening the mind :roll:
To imply ignorance for not reading is itself ignorance.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

While I completely defend an indvidual's right to spend their short time alive persuing whatever floats the boat, the claim never to have read a book is both sad and depressing... I wonder where such indiviuals get their ideas & thoughts from. Presumably not The Highway Code ! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 10:03am I can't comment on this partic. case, as I don't know enough about the characters concerned, but I do wonder if the judge may have misunderstood the nature of modern extremism. I completely get the idea that we all can benefit from reading - and reading those books that are regarded by most as important. Of course, all will have their own idea of which books are on their list, hence all those list books - see here .
We're all familiar too with the idea that political activists will have spent a lot of time forming their ideas by reading - Karl Max had his own chair at the British Library. Let's hope the individual condemned to reform-by-reading enjoys his 'set books'... !
However, I wonder if the judge has taken into account the effect of social media on the development of ideas in the individual's mind. We read of the addictive nature of social media and also of the echo-chamber nature of posting on forums where readers focus on posts that amplify and reverberate the ideas expressed in their own posts. There seems to be little scope for careful and considered criticism online. The nature of the online environment is a million miles away from the quiet calm and slow learning to be gained from sitting alone and reading a book in the old fashioned way. I'm going to bet that the miscreant we have heard about will simply lack the patience to plough through those oldies and find a new enlightned way... Hope I'm wrong, mind.
It seems that something written on social media can rapidly become truth without any checks or balances,not unlike captitalism it would seem.

If anyone wishes to see examples of extremism they need only look at the US and UK's involvement in unnecessary wars around the globe in the past 60 or 70 years,wars which have been waged on the pretext of freedom from oppression,when they've been nothing of the sort.But more about prifiteering off the back of such wars whilst attempting to subjugating the population and stealing the natural resources of those countries we've invaded.
We then wonder why the Islamic and Arab POV of the West is as 'The Great Evil' or 'Devil'.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 11:22am While I completely defend an indvidual's right to spend their short time alive persuing whatever floats the boat, the claim never to have read a book is both sad and depressing... I wonder where such indiviuals get their ideas & thoughts from. Presumably not The Highway Code ! :lol:
Well said!

R2,currently rereading Bill Bryson's A History of Nearly Everything,Francis Pryor's excellent book Britain BC,a couple of Honda NT700 and CB500X motorcycle workshop manuals,and about to start A Viking Voyage,a book about building and sailing a Viking Longship across the Atlantic.
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Hellhound wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 11:17am
Oldjohnw wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 10:55am That is a point of view, but I never understand the boast that people haven’t read a book. You are also stating that a view formed as a young teenager is with you for life. Not broadening of the mind or life long learning.
I am not 'boasting' but rather stating a fact!I see little point in wasting my valuable time on a book :roll: I learned at school that learning has nowt to do with books neither has broadening the mind :roll:
Did you know that there were authors other than both Dickens and Shakespeare? My observation of your writing is that you have almost certainly have read things over the last however many years.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

As a teenager I was inspired by W H Murray's Mountaineering in Scotland. so I asked for Alan Blackshaw's Mountaineering as a school prize, which got me off to a good start in techniques. I had also heard the Head did not approve of climbing!
When I rediscovered cycling I learned a lot from Richard's Bicycle Book. and various tales of touring showed me what could be done on two wheels.
In the same way there are many books about adventurous cruising which encouraged me to explore in my little boat. Sailing can be quite technical so I read a lot of "how to" books.
These books led me into the "real" world.
Fiction can open your mind to other ways of thinking, other possibilties and lives, and worlds beyond your own experience.
I have been a lifelong reader and gained so much by it that I really think that non-readers are missing many possibilties and ideas.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 11:34am about to start A Viking Voyage,a book about building and sailing a Viking Longship across the Atlantic.
By Hodding Carter? It's good.
I like reading the Sagas too.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 11:49am
reohn2 wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 11:34am about to start A Viking Voyage,a book about building and sailing a Viking Longship across the Atlantic.
By Hodding Carter? It's good.
I like reading the Sagas too.
Yes that's the one :D
The Sagas are OK but they go on a bit :lol: :wink:
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Oldjohnw wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 11:41am
Hellhound wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 11:17am
Did you know that there were authors other than both Dickens and Shakespeare? My observation of your writing is that you have almost certainly have read things over the last however many years.
Of course I've read things!I just don't read books or rather novels or plays.Shakespeare and the modern equivalents just don't hold any appeal.I see little point in fiction,biographys/autobiographies etc etc.I have a box under the stairs full of photography,walking and bird identification books from my childhood/youth that I haven't looked at in probably 25+years.
On a side note we visited Stratford-upon-Avon a couple of weeks ago.Had a very pleasant day and did none of the 'Shakespeare touristy' stuff.Nice little riverside town in it's own right and well worth a visit regardless of a certain person being born there!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hellhound wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 10:35am
On a side note we visited Stratford-upon-Avon a couple of weeks ago.Had a very pleasant day and did none of the 'Shakespeare touristy' stuff.Nice little riverside town in it's own right and well worth a visit regardless of a certain person being born there!
Could it be such a nice and pleasant place because Shakespeare was born and lived there and as a result was put on map which brought in the tourists and consequentially the money?
W H Auden