Moderates and Extremists

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Moderates and Extremists

Post by Jdsk »

"A former student who downloaded almost 70,000 white supremacist documents and bomb-making instructions has avoided a prison sentence “by the skin of his teeth” after being told to read classic literature by Dickens, Austen, Shakespeare and Hardy."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ace-prison

Unusual, but not particularly cruel.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 8 Aug 2021, 7:45pm Can Trainspotters rock boats?
Not since British Rail sold Sealink.... :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 1:29pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 8 Aug 2021, 7:45pm Can Trainspotters rock boats?
Not since British Rail sold Sealink.... :lol:
:D
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sealink?
How long ago is that?

Finished in the mid 1980s if my memory serves me correctly.
You have to be a "certain age" to remember Sealink. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
slowster

Post by slowster »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 11:48am "A former student who downloaded almost 70,000 white supremacist documents and bomb-making instructions has avoided a prison sentence “by the skin of his teeth” after being told to read classic literature by Dickens, Austen, Shakespeare and Hardy."

After making John promise not to research any more rightwing material, the judge continued: “Have you read Dickens? Austen? Start with Pride and Prejudice and Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. Think about Hardy. Think about Trollope.

“On 4 January you will tell me what you have read and I will test you on it. I will test you and if I think you are [lying to] me you will suffer.”
A good judge of law maybe, but not of literature. Any of Austen's other novels would be would be more appropriate than Pride and Prejudice. It could have been worse I suppose - he might have told him to read Middlemarch.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

mikeonabike wrote: 8 Aug 2021, 6:41pm
pwa wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 6:29am What I am trying to put over is the notion that the word "extremist" means "far removed from the norm", and people who fall into that category are usually a bit of a worry to others because they rock the boat. But the word "extremist" on its own does not tell you whether they are right or wrong.
So would you call a trainspotter "extremist" because after all it is not the norm
I suggest a political activist is an extremist when they adopt methods which lead others who share their broad goals to dissociate themselves from them.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Perhaps you could say it is moderate to consider that immigration should be managed or even controlled.

And it is extremist to think that foreigners, especially those of a different colour, are inferior and should be either never be allowed in or if here should be expatriated.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 11:48am "A former student who downloaded almost 70,000 white supremacist documents and bomb-making instructions has avoided a prison sentence “by the skin of his teeth” after being told to read classic literature by Dickens, Austen, Shakespeare and Hardy."

Jonathan
If he was black or brown and into Islamic extremism what might the sentence have been?
John
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

jgurney wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 7:04pm
mikeonabike wrote: 8 Aug 2021, 6:41pm
pwa wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 6:29am What I am trying to put over is the notion that the word "extremist" means "far removed from the norm", and people who fall into that category are usually a bit of a worry to others because they rock the boat. But the word "extremist" on its own does not tell you whether they are right or wrong.
So would you call a trainspotter "extremist" because after all it is not the norm
I suggest a political activist is an extremist when they adopt methods which lead others who share their broad goals to dissociate themselves from them.
Hmmm.

It still leaves some huge subjective areas, but that's not a bad description.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 1:27pm
jgurney wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 7:04pm
mikeonabike wrote: 8 Aug 2021, 6:41pm So would you call a trainspotter "extremist" because after all it is not the norm
Hmmm.

It still leaves some huge subjective areas, but that's not a bad description.
I like the idea of the threshold being defined by other people's reaction rather than some form of words.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

slowster wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 5:39pm

After making John promise not to research any more rightwing material, the judge continued: “Have you read Dickens? Austen? Start with Pride and Prejudice and Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. Think about Hardy. Think about Trollope.

“On 4 January you will tell me what you have read and I will test you on it. I will test you and if I think you are [lying to] me you will suffer.”
A good judge of law maybe, but not of literature. Any of Austen's other novels would be would be more appropriate than Pride and Prejudice. It could have been worse I suppose - he might have told him to read Middlemarch.
""We have received a request for the sentence of Ben John to be considered under the unduly lenient sentence (ULS) scheme."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-58425648

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Jonathan
I'd rather go to prison :lol:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Hellhound wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 2:40pm

Jonathan
No one who has ever stepped inside a prison would say that. I assume you have not 😀
John
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Oldjohnw wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 4:27pm
Hellhound wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 2:40pm
Jonathan
No one who has ever stepped inside a prison would say that. I assume you have not 😀
Then you assume wrong :roll:
I would rather go to prison than read any of that drivel :lol:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

You can lead an 'orse to water...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)