Plymouth

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Plymouth

Post by Mick F »

I know people will be aware of the tragic news today.

It's Plymouth, for God's sake! :shock:

I'm shocked and saddened by this. I know other shootings happen, but when it's on your own doorstep in a lovely city, it really brings it home to you and I'm almost in tears.

I know the road, and I know the area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engl ... n-58197416
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Re: Plymouth

Post by peetee »

Truly shocking. So random, it would appear the man had lost his mind.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

The main Bridgnorth Road down the hill from here has been closed since Monday as a woman's body was found on fire in a lay-by. Taken the police 3 days to identify her and they've arrested two suspects.
Hope they're not keeping the road shut until the case is solved :|
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Really sad - let's be grateful that awful incidents similar to this one are so rare here in the UK.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Debs

Post by Debs »

incel
/ˈɪnsɛl/
noun
noun: incel; plural noun: incels
a member of an online community of young men who consider themselves unable to attract women sexually, typically associated with views that are hostile towards women and men who are sexually active.
"self-identified incels have used the internet to find anonymous support"
I'd never heard of 'incel' before the news this evening.

It would seem we now have another bunch of cranks to deal with, if the world wasn't complicated enough already.

The angry young man who committed these senseless murders was a confirmed misogynist.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'd never heard of 'incel'
incels / angry young men (& women) / conspiracy theorists / alt-right libertarians are out there in their millions, busily venting their spleens online and form, for example, the core of the support for that weird orange golf cheat we heard so much about last year... in America, they are heavily armed and we should be grateful that the same is not true here in the UK. see too Q-Anon, dark web and so on. One thing that seems to unite these people is that it is always someone else's fault...
(I'm not commenting directly about the awful events that happened in Plymouth, but rather on stuff I found out back between 2018 and last Jan..)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Debs wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 8:20pm
incel
/ˈɪnsɛl/
noun
noun: incel; plural noun: incels
a member of an online community of young men who consider themselves unable to attract women sexually, typically associated with views that are hostile towards women and men who are sexually active.
"self-identified incels have used the internet to find anonymous support"
I'd never heard of 'incel' before the news this evening.

It would seem we now have another bunch of cranks to deal with, if the world wasn't complicated enough already.

The angry young man who committed these senseless murders was a confirmed misogynist.
What a very strange way of looking at things.
What are these cranks you refer to please?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Grandad

Post by Grandad »

From the BBC News website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58207064
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I have been on holiday so kind of only just caught up on this. It reminds me of another holiday I had when I finally got back into civilization to hear about the Cockermouth and area shootings a few years ago. That was another nutter with a gun license despite people knowing he shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

Back then I heard on the radio news an interview with a spokesman from the BASC who condemned how that shooter still had a gun licence after a few instances that should have raised warning n signs. The hypocrisy of that spokesman when he gave a story about how he visited a local BASC member on official business and saw a shotgun leant against the kitchen cabinet. Said he told the owner if he saw him do that again he'd report him and do everything he could to get that guy's licence taken away. AIUI the BASC is all about stopping shooters losing any rights. Kind of the closest thing to a British version of the American NRA!!!

As a kid my friend used to pick his dad's licenced shotgun from its storage rack on a low beam to show me. We were probably 7 years old playing with it. My mate's grandparents owned the farm around our houses and his dad used to use the gun to help his father in law keep the vermin down. Rabbits through to various birds. Legitimate but not safe storage. Should get your gun licence removed now I think. Back then no. Things are better but it's the reporting of people with issues of concern and licence/gun confiscation that had never been sorted. Doctors, family or friends reporting their concerns rarely happens. I doubt this latest incident happened without anyone having concerns about him. Although I really don't know much about this case so it's only available suspicion.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Good morning, Quick query to assist those of us who can't solve the abundance of acronyms, what does "BASC" mean?
Sounds like Billy No Mates has established a community through social media and is exerting a sense of resentment over any social unease they find themselves in.
Used to be called basket cases, but now just disadvantaged! MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Has someone said this murderer was just disadvantaged?
John
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

merseymouth wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 7:36am Quick query to assist those of us who can't solve the abundance of acronyms, what does "BASC" mean?
https://basc.org.uk/The British Association for Shooting and Conservation. Covers everything from shooting pheasants to target shooting. I have friends (well balanced ones) who are excellent sharp shooters.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It seems like his shotgun and licence were taken off him in December, only to be given back in July. So there were doubts about his suitability. Surely if there are any doubts, even just a bit of unease, the licence should be withheld on the basis that the authorities are not sure about the holder. The police should need to be sure the individual is suitable, rather than being required to be sure he is not suitable. And from what I hear, the individual's Youtube activities would have cast considerable doubt on his suitability.

I know sound people with guns, people I have no concerns about. None of them would have a dodgy Youtube presence.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Please don't let us go down the argumentative route, my use of the word "Disadvantaged" shouldn't raise hackles!
Words have over many years been appropriated for different meanings, so my use of any word may not match current usage.
In this instance I am struggling to come to terms with "Incel" existence? A person may be disadvantaged in the older, non weaponized sense, but if they somehow convert this missing element into a feeling of resentment then it may well prove disturbing or even damaging!
The existence of a largely un-regulated social media has it would appear to have linked up people who would previously have been in isolation. Fine in one sense, but sadly it can also mean that resentment may increase.
I am personally disadvantaged in the old sense in many ways, but I prefer to concentrate on they thing I have/can do, rather than stew over things outside my grasp!
We must try to make sense of the feelings of entitlement that is currently taken to be a right for all, rather than an acceptance of the inequalities that occur in life. MM

* Thank you Tatanab, which shows yet another sense of entitlement to wrankle for some.