Tongsheng TSDZ2

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
stodd

Re: Tongsheng TSDZ2

Post by stodd »

rjb wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 1:24pm So what I'm asking is which one is the mode switch, :wink:
Is it a 2nd short push of the power button when switched on? The instructions are not clear.
It certainly looks like that from the instructions. I haven't got such a controller, try it an see.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Regarding legality and cases in court, there was the one in London (2019) where the women walked out into the path of an ebike that went to trial. Rather then prosecuting the guy ( with the lesser charge for riding an illegal bike) evidence was used to try him for the hit & run of dangerous riding & causing death. The jury found him not guilty so he was allowed to go free, having failed with the more serious offence there was no foundation to try him again for the lesser ones.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

hemo wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 3:55pm Regarding legality and cases in court, there was the one in London (2019) where the women walked out into the path of an ebike that went to trial. Rather then prosecuting the guy ( with the lesser charge for riding an illegal bike) evidence was used to try him for the hit & run of dangerous riding & causing death.
Hanlon?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51707616

Jonathan
hemo

Post by hemo »

Yes that's the case.
stodd

Post by stodd »

hemo wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 3:55pm Regarding legality and cases in court, there was the one in London (2019) where the women walked out into the path of an ebike that went to trial. Rather then prosecuting the guy ( with the lesser charge for riding an illegal bike) evidence was used to try him for the hit & run of dangerous riding & causing death. The jury found him not guilty so he was allowed to go free, having failed with the more serious offence there was no foundation to try him again for the lesser ones.
All as Hemo said. He was very lucky that the prosecution was so cocksure of its case on the higher charges that it didn't bother to bring in the lesser charges (riding unregistered, uninsured, exceeding the speed limit, etc) as 'backup'. Nevertheless. I think he probably paid quite a heavy penalty in worry during the period between the accident and the trial.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I have the thing all bolted together, and finally its warm enough for me to work outside, in that I can still feel my fingers.......
So a test ride reveals an interesting problem....
Below about 18kph, the speed display flashes numbers quicker than I can read them....often "99" but also other apparently random numbers.
......and the electric assist cuts out.
So I can have electric assist above about 18kph and it all seems to work (although I haven't tried level 3....level 2 is enough, so far!)
.....but on anything like a hill I quickly drop below 18kph and the assist cuts out just when it would be really useful.
I have set the magnet as close as I dare to the sensor.
The sensor has a double socket and the wire from the motor has a single plug (unless its the other way round) and it doesn't seem to matter which socket I use, I get the same fault.
Before I start randomly changing parts, can anybody shed any light?
velorog

Post by velorog »

Colin, it looks as the the wheel magnet is too close to the sensor. This causes the speed to quickly rack up to 99 kph and the assist dies. Just move it a tad further along the spoke. This is my set-up
Tongsheng_sensor.jpg
Trikesnbikes

Post by Trikesnbikes »

I have also had silly speeds displayed when the magnet is too close to the sensor. Give it more clearance between magnet and sensor and it should be OK.
hemo

Post by hemo »

I have seen contradictory statements regarding the speed magnet issue and cutting out, try a magnet gapping up to 15mm most seem to say though with the tsdz that 10mm is an optimum distance /gap and 5mm giving erroneous or cut out issues.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I had an initial problem with the motor cutting out on our tandem when climbing some steep hills. The sensor gap was about 15 mm I thought the leading or trailing spokes could have been unloading whilst climbing allowing the gap to increase. I slipped a couple of round button neodymium magnets on the existing wheel magnet which solved the problem. Never got around to packing the sensor to move it closer to the wheel. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Thanks chaps.....I'll have a play next time its warm enough for my fingers to work out there!
I never imagined too close would be a problem!
hemo

Post by hemo »

rjb wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 6:26pm I had an initial problem with the motor cutting out on our tandem when climbing some steep hills. The sensor gap was about 15 mm I thought the leading or trailing spokes could have been unloading whilst climbing allowing the gap to increase. I slipped a couple of round button neodymium magnets on the existing wheel magnet which solved the problem. Never got around to packing the sensor to move it closer to the wheel. :wink:
I added a neodymium to a BBS wheei spoke magnet as I wasn't able to get the magnet nearer the sensor and it also solved the issue, simple works some times.
npcarey

Post by npcarey »

Hello velorog, I’m peering at your photo as I’ve been totally flummoxed as to how to get a 10mm gap between the magnet and the sensor on a Trek hybrid that I’m converting. I’m assuming that the face of the magnet has to sit opposite the ‘triangle’ symbol on the sensor and the best gap that I can get is about 5mm. Am I mistaken and is it lateral distance so I can move the magnet to face the sensor further down?
And I thought that the hard part was getting the rear derailleur cable under the BB.
Thanks for any advice.
By the way 531colin just in case you don’t know, the second socket on the cable is for a lights connection.
velorog

Post by velorog »

The face of the magnet does not have to sit opposite the little triangle marker on the sensor. I found that with 130mm drop-outs it was impossible to get sufficient gap placing the magnet opposite the marker, so just slide the magnet along the spoke a few mm to distance it from the marker. A bit of trial and error but I found it easy enough to set-up.
I managed to route the gear cable under the BB using a thin section of outer cable. The flexible type used on the rear mech is ideal. If you position it when you slide in the motor the whole operation is quite simple.
Hope this helps.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 3:59pm
hemo wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 3:55pm Regarding legality and cases in court, there was the one in London (2019) where the women walked out into the path of an ebike that went to trial. Rather then prosecuting the guy ( with the lesser charge for riding an illegal bike) evidence was used to try him for the hit & run of dangerous riding & causing death.
Hanlon?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51707616

Jonathan
The jury also acquitted him of driving without a licence which seems a bit perverse.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker