Why are they so ugly?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Mick F
Spambuster

Why are they so ugly?

Post by Mick F »

Saw one of this yesterday locked against some railings in Tavistock.
I couldn't really take my eyes off it as it was so ugly.

https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/prod ... ity-hybrid

Why are they so chunky and ugly?
Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 08.50.44.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Why are they so ugly?

Post by Syd »

Not all ebikes are ugly.

E.g.

But I agree some certainly are

Jdsk

Re: Why are they so ugly?

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 09.48.46.png
Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Syd wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 9:34am Not all ebikes are ugly.
Agree, but why do they make (some of them) so ugly?
Mick F. Cornwall
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I guess it makes them stand out from the crowd and it may attract comments from strangers e.g. when parked outside a cafe, which some cyclists want to encourage so that they can have a chat. A bit like riding a Moulton or Raleigh Chopper perhaps.....
Syd

Post by Syd »

They make a number of ugly non-electric bikes, particularly ones designed to carry even small loads.

It would seem though that a larger % of ebikes fall into the ugly category.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I agree about the ugliness about most. Which is partly why I converted a bike. If I ever renew I will choose a bike I like and add a motor.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Ugly? From the owner of a Moulton!! Aesthetics are heavily influenced by familiarity, there was a time when the sort of big tubed compact carbon bikes now lusted over were considered hideous compared to skinny horizontal tubed steel bikes, maybe that's still considered the case by a few oldies on here, but generally not.
It's all in the eye of the beholder of course, they look the way they do for practicality. There is a need for extra stiffness to handle both the weight and the increased strain the motor will place on the frame and of course you have to put the battery somewhere. Then, bike design has placed a huge importance on weight saving, rightly or wrongly, once you've added the weight of motor and battery, and the assistance they provide, it's less of a consideration.
I have a preference for E-bikes that look like what they are, rather than those that have gone to great lengths to disguise it. They are something different, why wouldn't they look different?
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 8:49am Saw one of this yesterday
Was it really one of those? That's a Speed Pedalec, it ought to be registered as such and have a number plate.
stodd

Post by stodd »

PH wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 10:29am Was it really one of those? That's a Speed Pedalec, it ought to be registered as such and have a number plate.
Looking at the image it looks as if there is a plate at the back of the mudguard. Of course, there may well not have been one on the bike actually seen.

Ugliness is obviously subjective, to me it mainly comes down to fitness for purpose.
A bike is typically 'prettier' without disk brakes, derailleur, battery, motor, rack and mudguards. Then it is not fit for many purposes, though supremely fit for those it is fit for.
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

My Orbea Gain is very pretty.
There's only one ugliness...and he's riding it
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 8:49am Saw one of this yesterday locked against some railings in Tavistock.
I couldn't really take my eyes off it as it was so ugly.

https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/prod ... ity-hybrid

Why are they so chunky and ugly?
In the case of that particular bike I wonder if it is ugly more because they'd tried to do something a bit different rather than because it's an e-bike. I wonder if the same people designed a normal pedal bike it would also be ugly.

Don't know if I'm missing something but the rack does not look well attached. Vertical looks OK but is it attached to the mudguard to stop it rotating backwards?

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 3:16pm In the case of that particular bike I wonder if it is ugly more because they'd tried to do something a bit different rather than because it's an e-bike. I wonder if the same people designed a normal pedal bike it would also be ugly.
Ian
It's become quite a standard look, I've seen bikes from: Moustache, Riese & Müller, Kalkhoff, Cube, Focus, Trek, that all look similar.
There's probably plenty of others, the similarities are the big downtube to accommodate the battery, high front end for suspension forks without a lot of steerer and a correspondingly very sloped top tube for reasonable stand over, once those are set, that's what it looks like.
Don't know if I'm missing something but the rack does not look well attached. Vertical looks OK but is it attached to the mudguard to stop it rotating backwards?
The rack's a bit of a fashion thing, seems to have started before it became popular on E-bikes, there's a metal strut built into the mudguard to hold it that attaches to a bridge between the seat stays. Seems secure enough and I wouldn't mind, except most manufacturers haven't included normal mounting points so you stuffed if you want a different rack, though there's probably a bodge.
Last edited by PH on 4 Sep 2021, 4:03pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good afternoon guys.
The bike was the one I linked and screenshot.
Wish I'd taken a photo, but maybe my iPhone would have refused to take one. :wink:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but that Scott was ugly as well as being HUGE.
Maybe they're aimed at the overweight?
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 3:55pm Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but that Scott was ugly as well as being HUGE.
Maybe they're aimed at the overweight?
It'll be around 30kg, with a top assisted speed of 45kph and the ability to accelerate to that which few cyclists could match, it's effectively a moped.
The rider weight isn't going to make a huge difference, though it'll be designed to accommodate most, it's that sturdy because it needs to be. Put that motor on your pretty Mercian and it'll handle like it's made from spaghetti.
Last edited by PH on 4 Sep 2021, 4:01pm, edited 1 time in total.