UFOs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: UFOs

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have no doubt that various pilots have seen things that have not yet been identified.

I am not suggesting that pilots' training makes them unreliable, but if you are looking for an aircraft then you will interpret things that you see as an aircraft.

I am suggesting that things that we cannot yet explain aren't necessarily things that will always be unexplained.
The age old adage applies - extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

"We don't know" is far more reasonable than "little green men"
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Which all reminds me of the amazing photos of ships hovering in mid-air e.g. Image
not my photo, I've never observed the phenomenon and no Photoshop involved.

We now know it's caused by atmospheric conditions bending the light but if you are not a meteorologist or unaware of the cause must be an amazing sight.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 9:49am Absence of explanation is a long way from the extraordinary evidence required.
I don't disagree,though when trained observers have minutes assess a phenomena at reletively close quaterts,as per the 'tictac' incident(there are others)and can't come up with an answer that fits with known aircraft and defies physical laws as we understand them,questions need asking as to what it is these paople have seen.
It seems to me infinitely more likely that these so far unexplained phenomena have an explanation other than extraterrestial visitors
Quite possibly,I've not said otherwise,but ET's are one explanation that should be concidered along with all others.

I believe that there are other things that science has not yet understood. I do not think that these other phenomena license suggesting unknown, unlikely explanations
You seem to contradict yourself there.
If we,the human race,with all our technical knowhow can't explain what's been seen,sometimes at very close quarters,performing movements outside our our understanding,the only thing we know is that we don't know.

Rational people,some far more experienced than you or I make no claims for knowing the unknown,crackpots OTOH claim any number of things about all sorts.

Extraterrestial visitations as an explanation require so many complicated and extraordinary suppositions that they fall foul of Occam's razor.
Agreed,but when all other lines of inquiry are exhuasted without result or logical explaination,the fantastic has to be considered.

Once again I say the only thing I know with regard to UFOs or UAPs is that I don't know and similarly so others far cleverer than I.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 11:06am I have no doubt that various pilots have seen things that have not yet been identified.

I am not suggesting that pilots' training makes them unreliable, but if you are looking for an aircraft then you will interpret things that you see as an aircraft.

I am suggesting that things that we cannot yet explain aren't necessarily things that will always be unexplained.
The age old adage applies - extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

"We don't know" is far more reasonable than "little green men"
Agreed!
But when you expect to see a known aircraft shape and size and see a 'tictac' shaped object flying,defying all known physical boundaries flight it must be a bit of a shock to the system. :shock:
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

reohn2 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 11:40am
Mike Sales wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 9:49am Absence of explanation is a long way from the extraordinary evidence required.
It seems to me infinitely more likely that these so far unexplained phenomena have an explanation other than extraterrestial visitors
Quite possibly,I've not said otherwise,but ET's are one explanation that should be concidered along with all others.

I think you'd need to establish more evidence before ET can be seriously considered.
And have some decent reason why ET is happy to be seen and do aerial tricks, but hasn't actually just landed and said "you're idiots".

Else you need to seriously consider that they saw the ends of the noodles of the FSM
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 11:27am Which all reminds me of the amazing photos of ships hovering in mid-air e.g. Image
not my photo, I've never observed the phenomenon and no Photoshop involved.

We now know it's caused by atmospheric conditions bending the light but if you are not a meteorologist or unaware of the cause must be an amazing sight.

Ian
Quite!
I've seen myself haloed by a Brokenspectre twice on two sperate occasions,a thousand years ago I could've claimed to be a god as a result,similarly so flying ships,but we know otherwise.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 2:18pm
reohn2 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 11:40am

I think you'd need to establish more evidence before ET can be seriously considered.
And have some decent reason why ET is happy to be seen and do aerial tricks, but hasn't actually just landed and said "you're idiots".
I quite agree,
Though what may seem like aerial 'tricks' to us may be normal flight manouvres to them and much wiser beings than us may feel they shouldn't interfere with the course of our evolution.
Else you need to seriously consider that they saw the ends of the noodles of the FSM
If only I knew what that meant..... :?
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

May his noodles appendages not smite thee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 5:33pm May his noodles appendages not smite thee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Love it :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

To revive an old thread.
A former intelligence official in the US claiming the US is in possession of alien craft:-https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... spacecraft
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

reohn2 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 3:43pm To revive an old thread.
A former intelligence official in the US claiming the US is in possession of alien craft:-https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... spacecraft
Yeah. When someone sees one they get him to say anomalous phenomenon three times quickly to make sure he's not drunk.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
peetee

Post by peetee »

reohn2 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 3:43pm To revive an old thread.
Rather disappointingly the article doesn’t state if the craft were more likely to be the work of dolphins or mice.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

If we ever have UFO's land they'll not contain any alien biological life forms.

The life forms on far distant planets if they exist ( I'm not arrogant enough to believe they don't ) will be like us in the way that they are trapped there as we are here.

Our bodies evolved on this planet over millions of years and it'll be the same for them on theirs.

What we should fear more is what Ai might do with us. They will be able to travel to distant planets but we won't.

The most amazing thing today is the fact some young people would rather believe in UFO's than men walking on the moon over 50 years ago. On the other hand that's a big compliment to those first brave space pioneers.
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 9:35pm If we ever have UFO's land they'll not contain any alien biological life forms.

The life forms on far distant planets if they exist ( I'm not arrogant enough to believe they don't ) will be like us in the way that they are trapped there as we are here.

Our bodies evolved on this planet over millions of years and it'll be the same for them on theirs.

What we should fear more is what Ai might do with us. They will be able to travel to distant planets but we won't.
Why is it we only ever look through the eyes and minds of the present evolution of mankind?
Could it be that we are so bogged down in what we've evoloved into,a species sh*tting in our own bed and trashing the house in which we live for personal profit like the children we are?

Could there be somewhere in the universe an advanced civilisation or even more than one,that could use AI to explore space using craft so advanced that we haven't even dreamed of yet?

It would indeed be an arrogant species that thinks humanity the end result of evolution and yet there are those that do,one only need look at some of the posts above from what I would normally regard as sensible people.

The most amazing thing today is the fact some young people would rather believe in UFO's than men walking on the moon over 50 years ago. On the other hand that's a big compliment to those first brave space pioneers.[/b]
But are those young people who believe there are UFOs and by UFOs I mean extraterrestrial craft,be the same young people as don't believe we visited the moon?
People both young and old don't believe in many things,likewise also believe in some of the most ridiculous fairy tales,religion in it's many forms for a start.
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reohn2 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:04pm
Cowsham wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 9:35pm If we ever have UFO's land they'll not contain any alien biological life forms.

Why is it we only ever look through the eyes and minds of the present evolution of mankind?
Could it be that we are so bogged down in what we've evoloved into,a species sh*tting in our own bed and trashing the house in which we live for personal profit like the children we are?

Could there be somewhere in the universe an advanced civilisation or even more than one,that could use AI to explore space using craft so advanced that we haven't even dreamed of yet.
Yes but again that next step change in evolution could be the AI that replaces us and maybe already -- them hence why I said not biological or more accurately maybe biological but synthetic or manufactured. Any natural evolution traps us even more to our respective planets.

reohn2 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:04pm
Cowsham wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 9:35pm
The most amazing thing today is the fact some young people would rather believe in UFO's than men walking on the moon over 50 years ago. On the other hand that's a big compliment to those first brave space pioneers.[/b]
But are those young people who believe there are UFOs and by UFOs I mean extraterrestrial craft,be the same young people as don't believe we visited the moon?
Absolutely not limited to young people but a common denominator among the believers of UFO etc is that they are more likely to believe in ghosts etc -- try asking the next person you meet who believes men didn't land on the moon if they believe in ghosts or UFOs. I do that every time and get the same answer " yes " some are convinced they've seen one. I have found more young than older people don't believe men set foot on the moon. Some are convinced they exist but have never seen one but also don't believe men walked on the moon.
Last edited by Cowsham on 7 Jun 2023, 11:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am here. Where are you?