UFOs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: UFOs

Post by Jdsk »

maximus meridius wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 2:30pm
Cowsham wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 11:34am There will be a machine super intelligence on this planet and this will happen very soon after the event horizon of this technology which is coming at speed now hence all the noise in the press about it currently.
I'm just a simple country boy and don't understand complex physics. For the sake of me, and maybe others who are similarly scientifically illiterate, could you explain what you mean by "event horizon" please.
In relativistic physics the event horizon is the edge in space-time where anything that happens or has happened beyond it can't affect anything at the current point of observation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_horizon

It's related to light having a finite speed. That article includes the concept of the light cone, which is a useful model for thinking about this.

The event horizon is obviously an attractive (!) metaphor for many human activities. I concluded that it was being used here to describe the separation between stuff we can know about this technology and stuff we can't.

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

It's there any new footage from the latest report?

I've yet to see any that doesn't have a simple explanation that should be reasonably obvious to people with knowledge of cameras, light and natural phenomena. The pentagon deciding some were still unknown I can only assume means they give this stuff to an intern to keep them busy!

Also a consideration of UFOs and other such things: with the sheer vastness of current, high quality, video footage and other full time monitoring that happens on this planet it's notable that the frequency of ufo sightings doesn't seem to have risen accordingly. And what footage does appear still looks like it dates to decades ago...
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stevek76 wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 7:17pm It's there any new footage from the latest report?
I haven't seen any. And neither had the individual who drove this story. Nor any recovered material.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stevek76 wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 7:17pm ...
Also a consideration of UFOs and other such things: with the sheer vastness of current, high quality, video footage and other full time monitoring that happens on this planet it's notable that the frequency of ufo sightings doesn't seem to have risen accordingly. And what footage does appear still looks like it dates to decades ago...
Yes. Quite uncanny.

Jonathan
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

briansnail wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 3:47pm Do Aliens cycle?.If not they do not exist.How can any sane person not have a bicycle and cycle?
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage.
Humans may not be the most intelligent species in the Galaxy, but surely we're the most intelligent on the Galaxy
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

What a great thread, really like the way aliens could actually be humanity from different dimensions or alternative realities...
..of course, an alternative theory, which might not only explain UFOs, but also ghosts, angels, daemons, faeries and anything else..
..what we're living in isn't reality, and that although our emotions, sensations and everything else seem real... its all just an illusion.

(Of course at this point physiatrists start looking at you in a very pointed way - people who denounce reality have a history of either jumping off tall buildings in the belief that they are right or doing really nasty things to other people)
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

A few years back while sunbathing in the garden on a beautiful clear sky I saw a small silver dot in the sky very high up to the left of me, suddenly it went round in a rough circle more like a hexagon shape, stopped then shot across the sky to my right in a matter of seconds, stopped again and then shot off at a 90 degree angle.
The only thing that could do that at a lower altitude is a drone, but this was higher than 50,000 feet, has the military got drones that could fly at that height, if not it was a UFO that's for sure
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Just subscribe to the Daily Star if you are interested in Aliens, they have an article practically every day.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

yakdiver wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 12:13pm A few years back while sunbathing in the garden on a beautiful clear sky I saw a small silver dot in the sky very high up to the left of me, suddenly it went round in a rough circle more like a hexagon shape, stopped then shot across the sky to my right in a matter of seconds, stopped again and then shot off at a 90 degree angle.
The only thing that could do that at a lower altitude is a drone, but this was higher than 50,000 feet, has the military got drones that could fly at that height, if not it was a UFO that's for sure
Up date
The maximum altitude that a drone can fly is 10 kilometres (33,000 feet), as evidenced by both military drones and youtube videos of adventurers. Drones with rotating rotors get a physical limit of roughly 10 kilometres (33.000ft).
If that is the case, what I saw was a UFO - sorted 8)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

yakdiver wrote: 16 Jun 2023, 3:04pm
yakdiver wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 12:13pm A few years back while sunbathing in the garden on a beautiful clear sky I saw a small silver dot in the sky very high up to the left of me, suddenly it went round in a rough circle more like a hexagon shape, stopped then shot across the sky to my right in a matter of seconds, stopped again and then shot off at a 90 degree angle.
Up date
The maximum altitude that a drone can fly is 10 kilometres (33,000 feet), as evidenced by both military drones and youtube videos of adventurers. Drones with rotating rotors get a physical limit of roughly 10 kilometres (33.000ft).
If that is the case, what I saw was a UFO - sorted 8)
You wouldn't be able to see a drone at 33000 never mind a UFO a 50000 feet
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 8:06am
reohn2 wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 8:02am
Jdsk wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 7:43am Concerns have rightly been expressed in this forum about future misinformation from AI. I've recommended that we apply the same standards as we should to misinformation from carbon-based terrestrial lifeforms. And that the key countermeasure is checking whom and what to trust.

Does anyone fancy applying this to what we actually know about this story and what we don't?
It's a story in a newspaper that AFAIA hasn't yet been denied by US authorities.
"Hasn't yet been denied" is about as low in the hierarchy of evidence as it's possible to get.

And there's plenty within the story that's amenable to checking.
Grusch is getting a Congressional hearing:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... vid-grusch

Jonathan
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

On youtube - Subcommittee on National Security, the Border, and Foreign Affairs Hearing
https://www.youtube.com/live/KQ7Dw-739VY?feature=share
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 11:32am Grusch is getting a Congressional hearing:

Jonathan
So is it all a hoax or is there something more serious that the US military think needs covering up?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Has anyone considered the concept that future AI may want / need / maybe even demand it's rites to be included in religion.
Screenshot_20230726-191306_Facebook.jpg
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 6:09pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 11:32am Grusch is getting a Congressional hearing:
So is it all a hoax or is there something more serious that the US military think needs covering up?
I don't expect any increase in our knowledge of extraterrestrial life.

Or our understanding of human psychology.

Jonathan