Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 7 May 2022, 12:36pm
Jdsk wrote: 6 May 2022, 6:33pm And the rescue deal has been immediately rejected:
That should read "a" rescue deal, there are apparently several interested parties.
I was referring to the rescue deal that was an attempt to prevent the move into administration and was the only one mentioned in the notice.

There is already one rumoured after that move, as I've just mentioned upthread.

Jonathan

Edited: I can no longer see the post which I have quoted here.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Jdsk wrote: 7 May 2022, 12:27pm That's an interesting example of the enormous contribution of immigrants and their families to entrepreneurship. This is now getting the attention and analysis that it deserves.
The gradual drain of existing EU engineers and very constrained supply of new ones is becoming rather apparent in my profession. Internal referral bonuses have been increased significantly, almost every civil engineering company has oodles of vacancies. I've even had a recruitment agency message on linkedin saying that even if I wasn't interested in the position they were advertising they'd pay me if I could refer them someone who did take it up!

This will start to have implications on the UK's ability to deliver infrastructure projects and probably generate inflationary salary increases.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brexit,it's all going so well isn't it? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 7 May 2022, 12:40pm Edited: I can no longer see the post which I have quoted here.
Yes, some cross posting, I saw you'd acknowledged there was another offer as I was posting...
We don't know the timescale, I doubt the second offer came out of the blue, a news report earlier suggested a third interested party and that Morrisons were reviewing their interest.
So bad news for the existing business, yet others consider it to have potential, I draw no conclusions from that other than it not all being the doom and gloom some take such glee in reporting.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 7 May 2022, 5:33pmSo bad news for the existing business, yet others consider it to have potential, I draw no conclusions from that other than it not all being the doom and gloom some take such glee in reporting.
They're in receivership. 16,000 jobs.

I haven't seen any glee from anyone. Please could you give an example.

Thanks

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Stevek76 wrote: 7 May 2022, 1:54pm
Jdsk wrote: 7 May 2022, 12:27pm That's an interesting example of the enormous contribution of immigrants and their families to entrepreneurship. This is now getting the attention and analysis that it deserves.
The gradual drain of existing EU engineers and very constrained supply of new ones is becoming rather apparent in my profession. Internal referral bonuses have been increased significantly, almost every civil engineering company has oodles of vacancies. I've even had a recruitment agency message on linkedin saying that even if I wasn't interested in the position they were advertising they'd pay me if I could refer them someone who did take it up!

This will start to have implications on the UK's ability to deliver infrastructure projects and probably generate inflationary salary increases.
Far easier to train as a quack and work 3 days a week.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

"I don't actually have anything relevant to say to dispute these problems so here's something completely different"

People with the mindset for engineering don't become hippie medical practitioners. Though plenty do work 4 or 3 day weeks, such is the nature of modern families with both parents working.

Simple issue is that it's now easier for trained UK engineers to get permission to work elsewhere than it is for trained overseas engineers to get permission to work here. The net result of that I'd have thought was fairly obvious.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 7 May 2022, 12:27pmPS: Next hope of a rescue bid seems to be from the EG Group. That's an interesting example of the enormous contribution of immigrants and their families to entrepreneurship. This is now getting the attention and analysis that it deserves.
"Morrisons returns with fresh McColl's offer as endgame looms":
https://news.sky.com/story/morrisons-re ... s-12608537

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 7 May 2022, 5:45pm
PH wrote: 7 May 2022, 5:33pmSo bad news for the existing business, yet others consider it to have potential, I draw no conclusions from that other than it not all being the doom and gloom some take such glee in reporting.
They're in receivership. 16,000 jobs.

Thanks

Jonathan
No, they're not in receivership, the company has called in administrators. Apologies if that seems pedantic, they are very different things, instigated by different parties to protect their differing interests. It's also an important distinction for those 16,000 employees.
The point is, this has been shoehorned into a subject without any explanation, do you know what part supply chain issues have played? Where's the discussion? I'd be surprised if they weren't a contributory factor, I'd be even more surprised if they claimed it was the primary one. That three potential buyers have come forward suggests that whatever the problems they're not insurmountable. Presumably they'll also need a supply chain...
Then predictably we have the idea that it's Brexit wot did it, again it certainly won't have helped, but the cause? Shall we list all the retailers who've disappeared in the last ten years? It's a tough world and that's the nature of business, it's ever changing and there's always winners and losers. The idea that everything bad can be blamed on Brexit makes as much sense as those blaming everything on the EU for the last thirty years. Brexit killed McColl's is a bent banana story.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 8 May 2022, 9:09pmThe point is, this has been shoehorned into a subject without any explanation, do you know what part supply chain issues have played? Where's the discussion? I'd be surprised if they weren't a contributory factor, I'd be even more surprised if they claimed it was the primary one.
Jdsk wrote: 6 May 2022, 5:25pm"McColl’s shares plunge 33% as it blames supply chain disruptions":
https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/20 ... sruptions/
Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 8 May 2022, 9:09pmThe idea that everything bad can be blamed on Brexit makes as much sense as those blaming everything on the EU for the last thirty years.
This is another straw man argument... unless you can find anyone blaming everything bad on Brexit.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Any examples of that glee, please? Or is it a straw man argument?

Thanks

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 8 May 2022, 9:18pm

Thanks

Jonathan
reohn2 wrote: 7 May 2022, 5:12pm Brexit,it's all going so well isn't it? :?
Looks gleefully posted to me
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 8 May 2022, 9:16pm
PH wrote: 8 May 2022, 9:09pmThe point is, this has been shoehorned into a subject without any explanation, do you know what part supply chain issues have played? Where's the discussion? I'd be surprised if they weren't a contributory factor, I'd be even more surprised if they claimed it was the primary one.
Jdsk wrote: 6 May 2022, 5:25pm"McColl’s shares plunge 33% as it blames supply chain disruptions":
https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/20 ... sruptions/
Jonathan
Did you get past the headline? It's clearly not the only issue.
Apologies I missed it the first time round, I don't spend as long on the forum as some.
Last edited by PH on 8 May 2022, 9:30pm, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote: 8 May 2022, 9:24pm
Jdsk wrote: 8 May 2022, 9:18pm
Jdsk wrote: 7 May 2022, 5:45pm I haven't seen any glee from anyone. Please could you give an example.

Thanks

Jonathan
reohn2 wrote: 7 May 2022, 5:12pm Brexit,it's all going so well isn't it? :?
Looks gleefully posted to me
No glee from me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden