Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Post by Mick F »

I have never been on the M20, and I have no intention of being on it ever.

Continental for me/us ............ has been by flights from Exeter or Bristol or even in the old days from Plymouth.
By train it has been Plymouth to Paddington then via Eurotunnel and SNCF.

Sod driving it. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The M20 and the Port of Dover aren't only used by people who would like to go on holiday.

"The busiest international roll-on roll-off ferry port in the UK, the Port (of Dover) handles £144bn of trade in goods and 33% of the UK’s trade with the EU, supporting businesses across the nation.":
https://www.doverport.co.uk

"As a key gateway to the Continent, Kent is nationally strategically important, with 90 per cent of UK truck freight trade passing thought the Short Straits at the Port of Dover and Eurotunnel.":
https://www.kentprepared.org.uk/eu-exit-in-kent

And there are people who live in the area and would like to go about their lives in some semblance of normality.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Statement from the Port of Dover:

"Port Operations Return to Normal":
https://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/ ... mal/13690/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 8:26am And the M20 is closed.

"The M20 in Kent is closed for non-freight traffic coastbound between J8 (Maidstone) and J12 (Folkestone) to manage HGVs and other freight heading for the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel as part of Operation Brock. The M20 eastbound entry slip roads at J9, J10 and J11 are closed to help manage traffic flows. The Londonbound carriageway is fully open to all vehicles and is flowing freely."
https://nationalhighways.co.uk/travel-u ... -closed-1/

For some reason this is described as "Road Works". I'd guess that there isn't a category which describes the real reason because it didn't use to exist and so there wasn't a need for it.

Now changed to:

Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 13.11.51.png
https://nationalhighways.co.uk/travel-u ... re-delays/

Still closed.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

As a port Dover obviously just cant handle the peak volumes. Too many ferries, not enough facilities to handle the peak of holiday traffic and lorries.
Feel very sorry for the folk stuck in traffic queues. :(

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 1:42pm As a port Dover obviously just cant handle the peak volumes. Too many ferries, not enough facilities to handle the peak of holiday traffic and lorries.

Al
What do you think's the primary cause of it all?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:18pm
al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 1:42pm As a port Dover obviously just cant handle the peak volumes. Too many ferries, not enough facilities to handle the peak of holiday traffic and lorries.

Al
Two answers:
The Mail , Telegraph and the Express version would say it's the French just being bloody minded because we've chosen to leave the EU.

We were warned leaving would cause these delays and never took it seriously.

It's an awful situation for locals and all those trying to go on holiday.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 8:00am
reohn2 wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:18pm

Al
Two answers:
The Mail , Telegraph and the Express version would say it's the French just being bloody minded because we've chosen to leave the EU.
That'll be about right,though not entirely without foundation,but the actions of the French authorities aren't without understanding in light of the bloodyminded and totally bizarre way the UK has treated leaving the EU.
We were warned leaving would cause these delays and never took it seriously
When you lie as much to the UK public as the Brexit protaganists have done and still do,about Brexit,anything can be true we're now truly in 'Alice in Wonderland' world.
It's an awful situation for locals and all those trying to go on holidays
Without doubt,not fogetting businesses,and HGV drivers stuck for as much as 20hours without any kind of facilities.

When you swallow hook,line and sinker what pathalogical liars tell you,liars who are set to make most profit out of their lies,you're truly down the rabbit hole of destructive la,la,land.
That as I see it is where the UK is presently,the damage was done in 2016,and made far,far worse in 2019,with leadship of the liar in chief Johnson and his "oven ready deal".
The UK better get ready for a ride that's only going to get worse,and Brexit is just one problem caused by 12years of successive and destructive Tory governments.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What say you Al?
W H Auden
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

reohn2 wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 4:24pm What say you Al?
I think you know what say he.
He will blame everything but the true cause :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I await Al's reply....
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

As a port Dover obviously just cant handle the peak volumes. Too many ferries, not enough facilities to handle the peak of holiday traffic and lorries.

Because we instituted more thorough checks on entry to Britain after Brexit the French have responded by carrying out similar checks and these take more time. The remedy is to have more passport lanes at peak times, but we obviously arent there yet.

I am off to France in September but will catch the Roscoff ferry in Plymouth where no such problems exist. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 2:47pm...
Because we instituted more thorough checks on entry to Britain after Brexit the French have responded by carrying out similar checks and these take more time.
The extra checks by the French have no element of "response" or retaliation. They're the required checks on entry from "third countries" under the Schengen system. They existed before the UK Left the EU. They haven't been changed. What changed was that the UK decided that those existing rules should apply to us.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 2:47pm
.....Because we instituted more thorough checks on entry to Britain after Brexit the French have responded by carrying out similar checks and these take more time. The remedy is to have more passport lanes at peak times, but we obviously arent there yet.

I am off to France in September but will catch the Roscoff ferry in Plymouth where no such problems exist. :D

Al
My bold.
The operative word there is Brexit,before Brexit there were no such troubles or if they were they didn't last as long.
W H Auden
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

al_yrpal wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 2:47pm Because we instituted more thorough checks on entry to Britain after Brexit the French have responded by carrying out similar checks and these take more time. The remedy is to have more passport lanes at peak times, but we obviously arent there yet.
Al
Brexit was all about taking back control. The French now have control of who they let in, and how.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche