Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 11:33am
Fascinating. Reminds me of those mostly-gone trades of catching and storing seabirds in Scotland, Ireland and Iceland.

Jonathan
In Tassie they have the added danger of venomous snakes using the burrows.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 11:36am
Jdsk wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 11:33am Fascinating. Reminds me of those mostly-gone trades of catching and storing seabirds in Scotland, Ireland and Iceland.
In Tassie they have the added danger of venomous snakes using the burrows.
3 species of snakes, and all elapids!

Did you have snakebite routines and practice at school?

Thanks

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 11:46am
3 species of snakes, and all elapids!

Jonathan
No. This was in the Fifties!
Our cat used to bring in snakes which we looked up in the Australian Encyclopaedia. Thry were usually venomous.
I remember a sizable black specimen lurking under the school verandah. When we emerged again from the class it was gone.
All the other children were at least part aborigine, so I guess they had some knowledge of coping with the fauna. We used to forage for shellfish and edible plants.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 11:53am
Jdsk wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 11:46am 3 species of snakes, and all elapids!

No. This was in the Fifties!
Our cat used to bring in snakes which we looked up in the Australian Encyclopaedia. Thry were usually venomous.
I remember a sizable black specimen lurking under the school verandah. When we emerged again from the class it was gone.
All the other children were at least part aborigine, so I guess they had some knowledge of coping with the fauna. We used to forage for shellfish and edible plants.
Thanks.

Jonathan

PS: In Tasmania they're all venomous, although one isn't lethal to humans!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

On Cape Barren Island the wheeled vehicles were:
One tractor.
One beat up old ute, I believe a model T.
A motorcycle combination (dad's)
Two bicycles (one mine).
Not many metalled road miles.

I have enjoyed visiting these memories.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 11:27am I'm concerned about exploitation of workers. But barriers to movement and higher food prices aren't going to help the most vulnerable.

What will includes legally enforced minimum working conditions, legally enforced minimum pay, countering the pretence that gig and agency workers aren't workers, affordable accommodation, and a functional welfare system.

And the biggest threat to those is a Government that acts to reduce them. When Frost and his cabal talk about the opportunity to leave a European model and to implement "supply side reforms" we shouldn't be in any doubt what those actually mean for the poorest.

Jonathan
Nail,head,on!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm rather surprised that there is a such a large section of the population who claim to be unaware that there are shortages of various foodstuffs in shops around the UK.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Care workers:

Thousands of additional care workers are to be recruited from abroad to fill chronic gaps in the workforce, the government has announced after figures showed more than 40,000 social care staff had left the sector over the past six months.
Immigration rules will be relaxed for care workers, care assistants and home care workers, who will be added to the Home Office’s shortage occupation list.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ers-worsen

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 4:37pm Care workers:

Thousands of additional care workers are to be recruited from abroad to fill chronic gaps in the workforce, the government has announced after figures showed more than 40,000 social care staff had left the sector over the past six months.
Immigration rules will be relaxed for care workers, care assistants and home care workers, who will be added to the Home Office’s shortage occupation list.

Jonathan
As per usual,horse,stable door,bolted and after,are words that spring to mind!

And that's if they'll even come back here after the way they've been treated!

Three more words:- morons,power,in :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 11:56am I'm rather surprised that there is a such a large section of the population who claim to be unaware that there are shortages of various foodstuffs in shops around the UK.
I can't think of any important food stuff that we haven't been able to get recently. We currently have a fridge so rammed full that I had trouble this evening getting a few extra things in there.

Perhaps it is because we tend to eat a lot of food made from scratch, rather than ready meals and so forth. I have seen gaps in freezer compartments in the supermarkets but they haven't been in sections I have been interested in so I haven't investigated.

But considering we are in the middle of a pandemic in which food supply companies are experiencing high levels of staff absence due to illness or self isolation, things could be a lot worse.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Speaking to family and friends none have mentioned shortages in the supermarkets yet it's often mentioned in the media.
The areas are Greater London, Nottinghamshire, Hampshire.
My wife orders food online for delivery to her elderly Mum and she tells me quite a few items are out of stock.
It seems a very confused situation.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

francovendee wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 8:05am Speaking to family and friends none have mentioned shortages in the supermarkets yet it's often mentioned in the media.
My wife orders food online for delivery to her elderly Mum and she tells me quite a few items are out of stock.
In the past two weeks or so there's been absolutely no shortage of turkeys and 'pigs in blankets' though there were stories both would be in short supply. Even at a motorway services M&S yesterday there were packs of pigs in blankets literally falling off the chill cabinet shelf.
pwa

Post by pwa »

francovendee wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 8:05am Speaking to family and friends none have mentioned shortages in the supermarkets yet it's often mentioned in the media.
I believe a lot of items have been stripped from shelves over the last couple of days by shoppers filling trolleys. The food supply network is minimally staffed to keep costs down, and it always comes under huge strain in the run up to Christmas. There simply aren't extra lorry drivers, delivery drivers, vehicles, warehouse capacity within supermarkets, or supermarket workers to greatly increase throughflow of goods. It is the price we pay for not having expensive spare capacity through the rest of the year.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 4:37pm Care workers:

Jonathan
No doubt they'll all be rushing in to meet our (self-inflicted) shortage ... just like the HGV drivers did!

And those who do can look forward to low pay, no PPE when needed, poor conditions and when the political wind changes (next week) a "hostile environment" trying to send them home.

Ian