Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Post by PH »

UpWrong wrote: 31 May 2023, 1:02pm I do wonder if there's a potential in the summer to employ school kids (say over 14 yr old upwards) and students.
Yes, they could re-open a few mines as well to help out with the energy crisis. And anyone have a chimney needs sweeping?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote: 31 May 2023, 3:15pm
al_yrpal wrote: 31 May 2023, 1:17pm Remainiacs don't care about facts.
Al
The facts don't care what your political views or history are, this thread is full of them, ignoring them must take the same level of self belief that flat earthers exhibit. Rather than name calling, why not pull out something that's been posted as a fact and explain why it's incorrect? or even post some reputable evidence that contradicts it?
Cult members don't deal in facts :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

PH wrote: 31 May 2023, 3:17pm
UpWrong wrote: 31 May 2023, 1:02pm I do wonder if there's a potential in the summer to employ school kids (say over 14 yr old upwards) and students.
Yes, they could re-open a few mines as well to help out with the energy crisis. And anyone have a chimney needs sweeping?
The mines have all shut, and it's all heat pumps now :wink: .

I know it sounds grumpy old man Victor Meldrewish, but the idea actually came from James Cook in a question to Yvette Cooper saying how much he enjoyed the experience and that's what used to happen in Scotland. Why not?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

UpWrong wrote: 31 May 2023, 4:19pm
PH wrote: 31 May 2023, 3:17pm
The mines have all shut, and it's all heat pumps now.

I know it sounds grumpy old man Victor Meldrewish, but the idea actually came from James Cook in a question to Yvette Cooper saying how much he enjoyed the experience and that's what used to happen in Scotland. Why not?
An historical overview... from 2016:
https://theconversation.com/who-picked- ... kers-63279

British farmers who are missing migrant workers often emphasise how hard and how skilled the work is. And how they valued the workers who came to do the work, often year after year.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

UpWrong wrote: 31 May 2023, 4:19pm I know it sounds grumpy old man Victor Meldrewish, but the idea actually came from James Cook in a question to Yvette Cooper saying how much he enjoyed the experience and that's what used to happen in Scotland. Why not?
I picked a few strawberries in my youth, skived off school to do it, ate as many as I picked and was nearly sick when we had them for tea, the only kids actually grafting were the travellers. The scale of the shortage isn't going to be filled by willing teenagers (Anymore than the last idea it would be done by willing pensioners), even if they were physically and mentally capable of it and it didn't interfere with their other commitments, like getting an education.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote: 31 May 2023, 1:17pm Apart from Parmesan I find EU cheeses mostly very poor, couldnt care less.

Remainiacs don't care about facts. If it's raining, it's Brexit, If it's too sunny, it's Brexit, if a chaffinch farts in Cheshire, it's Brexit. They just don't care.

Al
Oh Al, haven't you tasted the wonderful cheeses France produces? Maybe you're a Cheddar and Red Leicester man.
I like all cheese except goats cheese or the plastic sort favoured by the USA
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Franco, I have tasted lots of French cheeses, the only exception I would make is Roquefort. From what is freely available I would rule out all their soft so called cheeses, often pale imitations of cheese. As for Mozarella from Italy...disgusting.
British cheeses have come on massively in the last 20 years, we have more variety than France. The Parisians have now discovered Cheddar and are lapping it up. Our local Somerset Cheddars are superb and Red Leicester have pulled up their socks and strength 5 is now freely available. But then theres Yarg, Barkham Blue and lots of lovely Goats cheeses too. Its like with white sparkling wines produced here we are often showing France how it should be done.

As I observed I couldnt care less if imports of foodstuffs from the protectionists are stopped we have some great stuff here and our pals in Oz and NZ and Chile produce great wines. Personally stopped drinking EU wines years ago. North Africa is a great source of fruit and Veg.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 10:28am North Africa is a great source of fruit and Veg.
Al
How do you think it gets here?
You have to be careful with the facts, there's often confusion between where something is grown and where produced, at least 70% of our food is grown abroad and of that at least 50% comes via Europe. The UK doesn't have the facilities to import more direct, Tilbury can handle the most refrigerated containers and it's less than a tenth the size of Rotterdam.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Food taste is like any taste,music,decor,fashion,etc,etc,some like this,some like that,some like the other,one man's taste isn't everyone's otherwise we'd all be eating and drinking the same thing.
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

PH wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 11:18am
al_yrpal wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 10:28am North Africa is a great source of fruit and Veg.
Al
You have to be careful with the facts, there's often confusion between where something is grown and where produced, at least 70% of our food is grown abroad and of that at least 50% comes via Europe. The UK doesn't have the facilities to import more direct, Tilbury can handle the most refrigerated containers and it's less than a tenth the size of Rotterdam.
If you look at labels a lot of our food already comes from North Africa. How does that get here then? Morroco, Tunisia, Israel and Egypt figure large. Eastern African nations like Kenya too. Bypass the protectionists...trade more worldwide.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Origins of food consumed in the UK, 2009-to 2020
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ly-sources

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 11:32am
PH wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 11:18am
Al
If you look at labels a lot of our food already comes from North Africa. How does that get here then? Morroco, Tunisia, Israel and Egypt figure large. Eastern African nations like Kenya too. Bypass the protectionists...trade more worldwide.

Al
But we were trading with all those nations before we left the EU,we're not getting anything we weren't getting before and Australia,and the US.The only thing we've done is make it more difficult to trade with our closest neighbours.
This may make sense to you but it doesn't to increasing numbers of you countrywo/men who now see the damage leaving the EU has caused us all!
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 11:32am If you look at labels a lot of our food already comes from North Africa. How does that get here then?
Al
A small quantity is flown direct, a slightly larger quantity is shipped direct, the bulk via sea or land through Europe. Even if UK ports had the capability to increase volume, the economy of scale means shipments coming through Rotterdam for most produce would still be more cost effective.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

All the more reason for a transport route bypassing the EU. Tilbury is still expanding, perhaps thats the convenient route. Africa is the future for development and trade in the years ahead. Large parts of the EU are going backwards.

Al
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 11:38am Origins of food consumed in the UK, 2009-to 2020
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ly-sources
Jonathan
I'm not entirely sure about that, I've only had a chance for a quick glance and it interchanges terms like source and produced, while you label it as origins. All three can mean different things, I've just made myself a cup of tea, the packet says produced in the UK, where will that appear in the graph?
The NUF says the UK grows around 60% of the value of the food we consume, though we then export some of that. That's not far off the chart, but I suspect some of the EU section doesn't originate there. Either way food security can't be measured in the value of what we grow, that might be a fairly restrictive diet..
This isn't a new problem, or specifically a Brexit one, though it's hard to see how anyone could deny how that's made it worse. One of Gordon Brown's first actions as PM was to commission a food analysis report, it wasn't an easy read for any political party, but it did point the way forward and was broadly welcomed by those with the expertise, it was binned by the following coalition government.