Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bsteel

Re: Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Post by Bsteel »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 10:20am [
Port of Dover gridlocked, and critical incident declared.

Statement blaming the French border controls:
https://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/ ... s-s/13687/

Jonathan
And this is before the EES system is introduced in September.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bsteel wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 5:47pm
Jdsk wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 10:20am [
Port of Dover gridlocked, and critical incident declared.

Jonathan
Yep get ready for when the brown stuff hits he fan! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bsteel wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 5:47pm
Jdsk wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 10:20am Port of Dover gridlocked, and critical incident declared.

Or the UK breaches the Northern Ireland Protocol. As a matter of Government policy.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

All these queues at Dover and the British blaming the French ... I thought these checks are only necessary becase of the "Hard Brexit" Johnson and his ideologues imposed on the country.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And the M20 is closed.

"The M20 in Kent is closed for non-freight traffic coastbound between J8 (Maidstone) and J12 (Folkestone) to manage HGVs and other freight heading for the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel as part of Operation Brock. The M20 eastbound entry slip roads at J9, J10 and J11 are closed to help manage traffic flows. The Londonbound carriageway is fully open to all vehicles and is flowing freely."
https://nationalhighways.co.uk/travel-u ... -closed-1/

For some reason this is described as "Road Works". I'd guess that there isn't a category which describes the real reason because it didn't use to exist and so there wasn't a need for it.

Jonathan

Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 08.24.43.png
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Can someone tell me the history of why these checks are carried out on British soil and not French?
The ports I've used the checks are on the French side.

I feel sorry for any holiday maker caught up in this mess. Even those who voted for it in spite of the warnings.
A rotten way to start a holiday especially with kids asking 'are we nearly there yet?' every 15 min.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 10:25am Can someone tell me the history of why these checks are carried out on British soil and not French?
The ports I've used the checks are on the French side.
Dover and Calais use the arrangement of controls known as juxtaposed.

"Juxtaposed controls":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juxtaposed_controls

GOV>UK explainer, although it's from 2017:
https://homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/201 ... -controls/

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Thanks for the links.
I can see the UK wishing to do this as it clearly stops any 'illegals' from getting onto UK soil.
I'm not certain of the benefits to France as they still provide the checks?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The French have always checked passports so I am not sure that post Brexit checks are new? Perhaps they are checking for the 90 day rule?

Several articles in the newspapers about Mr Awkward Gerald Darmanin: The anti-Britain, anti-Brexit minister at the centre of the Dover mayhem. With him and Macron running things we stand no chance.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 2:43pm The French have always checked passports so I am not sure that post Brexit checks are new? Perhaps they are checking for the 90 day rule?
Yes, there's a lot more checking that has to be done now. Including recording those dates for the 90 day rule. it takes considerably longer.

And there are other factors causing the current chaos at Dover.

And, as observed above, we haven't yet implemented EES with biometric checks. And intergovernmental relations should be expected to deteriorate in the near future.

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 2:43pm The French have always checked passports so I am not sure that post Brexit checks are new? Perhaps they are checking for the 90 day rule?

Several articles in the newspapers about Mr Awkward Gerald Darmanin: The anti-Britain, anti-Brexit minister at the centre of the Dover mayhem. With him and Macron running things we stand no chance.
These delays really shouldn't come as a surprise, we were warned this would happen on many occasions.

Al
Visitors now have to have a date stamp in and out put on their passports, unless they have a residency permit. Even though my son has one his passport was stamped in error when he returned from the UK.
By accounts I've read delays are only expected to worsen as full measures and Biometric testing begins. It will mean everyone getting out of the car and having their face screened.
If it's anything like the one at Stansted where large numbers of people, having tried three times, are then told join a queue to show your passport to a passport officer. Usually there are only one or two on duty and the queue can be very long.
My passport has never worked and each time I've ended up queuing twice.
None of the delays should come as a surprise, we were warned this would happen.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Al
In my experience (and I used to live in France, so a fair few trips across the channel on ferries), the French used to wave through anything that looked a bit like a UK Passport (from a distance). Very different matter from having to put stamps in passport, check validity dates, etc.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 8:26am And the M20 is closed.

"The M20 in Kent is closed for non-freight traffic coastbound between J8 (Maidstone) and J12 (Folkestone) to manage HGVs and other freight heading for the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel as part of Operation Brock. The M20 eastbound entry slip roads at J9, J10 and J11 are closed to help manage traffic flows. The Londonbound carriageway is fully open to all vehicles and is flowing freely."
https://nationalhighways.co.uk/travel-u ... -closed-1/

For some reason this is described as "Road Works". I'd guess that there isn't a category which describes the real reason because it didn't use to exist and so there wasn't a need for it.
"Kent traffic delays at Port of Dover and Eurotunnel 'could last through summer'":
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/ ... ef-270765/

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

The Express are whinging about Remainers gloating, it's worth a read just for some of the quotes off Twitter.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/16444 ... -queues-vn
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
peetee

Post by peetee »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 8:26am And the M20 is closed.
By closed I expect they mean the last section; the 7 mile A20 between Folkestone and Dover is currently a car park and all the ‘spaces’ are taken - as they have been many times before. :roll:
I know that road like the back of my hand; I was part of the design and construction team. I remember quite clearly how many people said that a new dual carriageway was a waste of money as the (new) Channel Tunnel would take all the ferries business.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.