Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ANTONISH

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Post by ANTONISH »

I had my booster jab yesterday - Moderna.
Also had flu jab.
Woke up this morning feeling a bit rough - flu arm aching.
I have mild flu symptoms - forced myself to eat breakfast and drink coffee and water and later eat an orange.
Beginning to feel OK - might go for a walk - bike ride tomorrow.

I nearly always have a strong reaction to flu jab - covid jab less so.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I wonder whether or not anyone else has pondered this:

Given that the effectiveness of a Covid (and flu come to that) booster takes a little while to build-up after injection, and seems to begin to wane significantly after a few months, when is the best time to get jabbed to maximise over-winter protection?

It struck me when I was thinking about this that having it too early, whatever that means, might leave one more vulnerable than otherwise towards the end of the winter, and that maybe mid-to-late October is the time to go for.

There are, of course, oodles of factors involved, not least the prevalence of the bug at different times, how much time one spends indoors with other people, and the vagaries of individual immune responses, but I wondered whether anyone else had thought about this.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 10:15am I wonder whether or not anyone else has pondered this:

Given that the effectiveness of a Covid (and flu come to that) booster takes a little while to build-up after injection, and seems to begin to wane significantly after a few months, when is the best time to get jabbed to maximise over-winter protection?

It struck me when I was thinking about this that having it too early, whatever that means, might leave one more vulnerable than otherwise towards the end of the winter, and that maybe mid-to-late October is the time to go for.

There are, of course, oodles of factors involved, not least the prevalence of the bug at different times, how much time one spends indoors with other people, and the vagaries of individual immune responses, but I wondered whether anyone else had thought about this.
Yes: the timing is in the JCVI modelling, but AFAIK they haven't published the results of specific scenarios. And their top principle is: "Timeliness of vaccination is more important than the type of booster vaccine used. "

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... utumn-2022
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ugust-2022

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

mjr wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 3:19pm
thirdcrank wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 3:13pm One of my many hobbyhorses: the inadequately explained link.
Maybe jdsk has a link about how to use them to annoy and disrupt a discussion where one isn't the centre of attention.
My own impression of the posts of jdsk is that he provides links, not to be the centre of attention but to allow the discussion to be more accurate and focussed. Yes, at times it would be helpful if he could explain the link (we don't all get it) but mostly they are useful and can be passed over quickly if not immediately relevant. They sometimes offer a good balance to more opinionated (but less well informed) posts, mine included.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

AFAIK they haven't published the results of specific scenarios
Skimming that, it looks as if it is, logically enough, an epidemiological approach to population protection, rather than guidance as to how we can individually maximise protection from vaccination ......... I think I will go with my "mid to late October" stab, but then if there is a whopper wave in early spring, protection might have decayed a fair bit, so I could get caught again, as happened this year!

What has slightly surprised me is how many of my older acquaintances have caught it in the past couple of weeks, just at the stage where they were booking boosters, but before receiving them.
camperman83

Post by camperman83 »

Ive not even bothered having the first Covid jab, unless i tend to go abroad i dont think im going to bother. No plans to go abroad for a long time, so hopefully in the future we will no longer need the jab. Well thats me hoping anyways!
pwa

Post by pwa »

camperman83 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 10:52pm Ive not even bothered having the first Covid jab, unless i tend to go abroad i dont think im going to bother. No plans to go abroad for a long time, so hopefully in the future we will no longer need the jab. Well thats me hoping anyways!
Have you had Covid yet? That is the other way to get a level of immunity / protection. If you are lucky, which you probably will be, your first dose won't be so serious that you end up in hospital and you will recover okay.

I'm sticking with the jabs for the next few years at least, because doing that is easy, it is safe, and I know it gives me a useful level of protection. I have my appointment for the last week in October and I'll do it without one iota of concern.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Subsequent to my Covid booster and flu jabs on 20th Sept I noticed today that my arms are bruised around the jab sites.
Flu one has a ring about 15mm dia of small black marks. The rest of the area is yellowing. Similar but smaller marking on site of Covid jab.
No pain.
I can't recall having this before - does anyone else get this?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Subsequent to my Covid booster and flu jabs on 20th Sept I noticed today that my arms are bruised around the jab sites.
Flu one has a ring about 15mm dia of small black marks. The rest of the area is yellowing. Similar but smaller marking on site of Covid jab.
No pain.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's new... not there in the previous 11 days?

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 4:27pm That's new... not there in the previous 11 days?

Jonathan
I don't know. I just happened to catch sight of one side in the mirror when I was shaving and noticed that the other side was similar.
I was trying to think of how I'd managed to knock my self in two places when it occurred to me that it was the flu/covid jabs.
There was no pain to alert me.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

If the discoloration increases or if you have any unexplained bruises elsewhere I recommend talking to your GP.

Jonathan

PS: Thanks for being immunised. And to everyone else.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 4:43pm Thanks.

If the discoloration increases or if you have any unexplained bruises elsewhere I recommend talking to your GP.

Jonathan

PS: Thanks for being immunised. And to everyone else.
Thank you, I'll bear it in mind.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ANTONISH wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 4:22pm Subsequent to my Covid booster and flu jabs on 20th Sept I noticed today that my arms are bruised around the jab sites.
No pain.
Both mrs thirdcrank and I had our covid boosters on 22 September. No complications. (We just go when invited,) Flu jabs booked for 4 October.

I'd not count on being able to see our GP if there were complications, but that's based on gossip etc, rather than a scientific survey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 5:20pm ...
I'd not count on being able to see our GP if there were complications, but that's based on gossip etc, rather than a scientific survey
The latest figures for England are for August 2022:
https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-informa ... l-practice

There were about 27 M appointments in general practice, that's about 1 M each day.

About 45% took place on the same day that they were booked.

We're now identifying the harm that was done during the outbreak from the belief that care wasn't available. Gossip was probably responsible for a considerable fraction of that harm.

Jonathan