Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Interesting...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I was very disappointed last night seeing Nadhim Zahawi defending Johnson claiming how UK was leading the world in "living with Covid" no thought that we are also almost leading the world in deaths from Covid!

Ian
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Had my fourth vaccination yesterday (confusingly referred to as 3rd primary, booster, 4th). Usual excellent service. The walk-in didn't seem busy, soldiers in combats probably bored!
Three different vaccines over nearly a year - one of them should work ( or maybe not given the immunosuppression that cancer treatment inflicts, the reason for my getting the fourth!).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Poor NHS; they need clarity, were promised clarity yet ploiticians failed to tell them what was going on. How can they be expected to plan in any sensible way?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/nhs-confederation-matthew-taylor-bernard-covid-sajid-javid-b2041599.html wrote:Call for clarity over NHS Covid tests
The NHS Confederation said that the NHS was promised “specific detail on the various testing protocols for patients and staff” a month ago, but with 10 days to go until the end of March, leaders have still not been given the detail.

At present, health service staff are still required to test twice weekly for the virus.

Matthew Taylor, chief executive of the NHS Confederation, said: “Health leaders are adamant that continuing to offer free testing to NHS staff is vital, given that rates of coronavirus and hospital admissions are still very high and rising.

“We know that more NHS workers are again having to take time off due to Covid-19, with it accounting for 30% of all absences, and so the Government cannot put its fingers in ears and pretend that the threat has gone away.

“In the face of a cost-of-living crisis, many staff will simply not be able to afford to regularly buy their tests.
Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Although this is described as *** The Covid Thread *** it's not the only one so if my query has already be posted (possibly by me) I'm sorry, but unsure.

I understand am qualified for the "Spring Booster" in that I'm over 75 and I've had three Covid-19 jabs, the last being just over six months ago. If I've read it correctly, the NHS is inviting people due for the Spring Booster to book an appointment and I thought this would be a personal invitation rather than a general one.

Can anybody say if I have got this wrong?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 4:04pm Although this is described as *** The Covid Thread *** it's not the only one so if my query has already be posted (possibly by me) I'm sorry, but unsure.

I understand am qualified for the "Spring Booster" in that I'm over 75 and I've had three Covid-19 jabs, the last being just over six months ago. If I've read it correctly, the NHS is inviting people due for the Spring Booster to book an appointment and I thought this would be a personal invitation rather than a general one.

For England:

"How to get a booster dose of the coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine":
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ster-dose/

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 4:04pm Although this is described as *** The Covid Thread *** it's not the only one so if my query has already be posted (possibly by me) I'm sorry, but unsure.

I've no idea except my Mum (in her 90's) is having her 4th soon but didn't get a personal invite. Just responding to the announcement and booking an appointment.

I'm mid-60s and not in any vulnerable group and have had only a single "invite" which I think was sent in error as it was long before I became eligible for any vaccinations. All the rest were me responding to reports of new guidance in the Press and using Google to find sites to book a vaccination.

That said, I don't have an issue with not getting a letter as such mass mailings are resource intensive (paper, postage costs, money) so maybe use letters as a last resort when people have had opportunity and appointments available (and far fewer paper sent through post).

I'm not sure SMS text's work well as I used to get various texts from my GP but recently some seemed blocked (because I got a "please do ... link follows" and no following text). Called GP and somehow my record has had texts disabled and that must have happened after the 1st text was send and before the 2nd (sent a few secs later!).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not standing on ceremony for a letter etc. I just like to conform with the procedure and I'm uncertain what that is.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 4:19pm I'm not standing on ceremony for a letter etc. I just like to conform with the procedure and I'm uncertain what that is.
Have you had a chance to read the official advice? And which bit isn't clear?

Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I thought I had read the advice linked on different threads as above. However, that has prompted my to return to my own GP's site, which had no specific info when the announcement about Spring Boosters was announced. That probably fits in with other stuff at the time about the NHS getting no warning of this initiative (which was probably inspired by an attempt to distract from some political scandal rather than clinical best practice.)

Anyway, I've just looked at my GP's site and it now has all I need to know.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's good.

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I had my invite on Saturday 16th - booked for Saturday 23rd. I suppose at eighty I qualify under elderly.
I've had all my previous jabs by invite from the NHS - my practice was on the ball for once this time.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My own good news is that I have this sorted out.

I received the national NHS invitation by text which pointed me to the NHS www which offered me various options but left me confused. Also, as mrs thirdcrank is also in the same group as I am ie over 75 and over 6 months (181 days) since last booster, we wanted to go together if poss. But she had not received the invitation. I decided to walk up to our GP surgery and the receptionist was able to book us both in there together at an ideal time for us. The receptionist very apologetically explained that they were working their way through everybody and I tried to explain there was no need for any apology. AIUI, by visiting and making X2 appointments I've saved their time having to contact us to do it, but if the general message was to contact your GP, they risked being overwhelmed.

Almost inevitably, as I walked through the door waving the note of our appointment time, mrs thirdcrank received her text from the national NHS system.

I'm a conscientious jabee if you see what I mean, but I cannot see how any of this helps get to those more relectant to be jabbed
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 9:51am My own good news is that I have this sorted out.

I received the national NHS invitation by text which pointed me to the NHS www which offered me various options but left me confused. Also, as mrs thirdcrank is also in the same group as I am ie over 75 and over 6 months (181 days) since last booster, we wanted to go together if poss. But she had not received the invitation. I decided to walk up to our GP surgery and the receptionist was able to book us both in there together at an ideal time for us. The receptionist very apologetically explained that they were working their way through everybody and I tried to explain there was no need for any apology. AIUI, by visiting and making X2 appointments I've saved their time having to contact us to do it, but if the general message was to contact your GP, they risked being overwhelmed.

Almost inevitably, as I walked through the door waving the note of our appointment time, mrs thirdcrank received her text from the national NHS system.

I'm a conscientious jabee if you see what I mean, but I cannot see how any of this helps get to those more reluctant to be jabbed
Sadly, they can't be reached by reasoning or by coercion, so we just have to get on with sorting ourselves out. And so far it seems to be working quite well. There is a lot of Covid knocking about at the moment, but deaths and hospitalisations are relatively low for a population of 60 million. For the moment Covid has been transformed by the jabs into just another bug that may get you if you are unlucky. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wasn't thinking so much about people who would actively refuse jabs as those in what I'll call the middle ground who are generally ok with the idea but who won't waste time trying to find out. Or those often older people who don't want to be a nuisance - even though becoming infected is more of a nuisance all round than asking for clarification about the subject