Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jois

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Post by jois »

Bonefishblues wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 4:42pm
jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 4:15pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 4:02pm
Equally, I would get pretty upset if I thought people were gaming the system to get in before me, who had accurately described his symptoms. Ultimately, it's built on trust and integrity.
That's a luxury you may have, you sit there and feel the virtue whilst other people get the medical care you paid for, either by blind luck or by understanding the system.

I don't do it for myself, I haven't been near a doctor's on my own account since 1981 , don't trust them as far as I can throw them, which isn far these days, really I'm just never ill, I wasn't ill in 1981either, I just wanted a sick note

I did go for diet advice once or twice but that was a waste of time
The system works because of people like me and the overwhelming majority of others, and despite people who give/take advice like yours.
This whole conversation was started by people complaining that it didn't work, at least for them. If your happy with dreadful service carry on, all the people who understand the system are ahead of you !! If you think thats immoral, I can live with that,
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 4:51pm
jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 4:15pm

That's a luxury you may have, you sit there and feel the virtue whilst other people get the medical care you paid for, either by blind luck or by understanding the system.

I don't do it for myself, I haven't been near a doctor's on my own account since 1981 , don't trust them as far as I can throw them, which isn far these days, really I'm just never ill, I wasn't ill in 1981either, I just wanted a sick note

I did go for diet advice once or twice but that was a waste of time
The system works because of people like me and the overwhelming majority of others, and despite people who give/take advice like yours.
This whole conversation was started by people complaining that it didn't work, at least for them. If your happy with dreadful service carry on, all the people who understand the system are ahead of you !! If you think thats immoral, I can live with that,
There are many failures but gaming the system by lying about your symptoms to jump ahead of clinical need just makes those failures worse.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 4:54pm
There are many failures but gaming the system by lying about your symptoms to jump ahead of clinical need just makes those failures worse.

Ian
Oh, and for me, the system has worked well, throughout my life, including recently when I had an urgent medical issue, and was shoehorned into what I know was already an overloaded system.
jois

Post by jois »

Ian
Did I say lie ?embellishment is more like it !

But what are you going to do except spout indignation, your not going to shame people into depriving a relative of much needed medical care are you.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 5:01pm

Ian

But what are you going to do except spout indignation, your not going to shame people into depriving a relative of much needed medical care are you.
Your said
jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 10:37am ...
Saying the pain is so bad she is considering suicide gets you a prompt appointment .
If she is not considering suicide because the pain is so bad then it would be a lie.

This is yet again getting pathetic. So I give up on you.

Ian
jois

Post by jois »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 5:17pm
jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 5:01pm

Ian

Your said
jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 10:37am ...
Saying the pain is so bad she is considering suicide gets you a prompt appointment .
If she is not considering suicide because the pain is so bad then it would be a lie.

This is yet again getting pathetic. So I give up on you.

Ian
Considering it quite a broad term, contemplating is a bit narrower, but still room for manoeuvre
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I'm finding this discussion a bit upsetting.
As it happens my partner when she was young suffered from depression and on one occasion tried to take her own life.
I'm sure she would find introducing the suggestion of suicide extremely upsetting.
I certainly wouldn't suggest it to her.
mjr

Post by mjr »

jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 10:37am But then there are also walk in centres, where you get to see a nurse usualy, with in a hour. They don't seem at all well used.
Walk in centres were abolished maybe a decade ago. Some became GP practices and some became Urgent Care Centres, and that means service coverage is very uneven. For example, there are several Urgent Care Centres across Lincolnshire, but none in Norfolk (the area whose incomplete NHS services Ian and I have to navigate: an area so ill-served that part of Cambridgeshire NHS does Covid vaccination here!) or Suffolk.

Because it is a postcode lottery, it does not get advertised nationally, so people are often unaware they exist, so they don't get well used.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jois

Post by jois »

mjr wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 12:00pm
jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 10:37am But then there are also walk in centres, where you get to see a nurse usualy, with in a hour. They don't seem at all well used.
Walk in centres were abolished maybe a decade ago. Some became GP practices and some became Urgent Care Centres, and that means service coverage is very uneven. For example, there are several Urgent Care Centres across Lincolnshire, but none in Norfolk (the area whose incomplete NHS services Ian and I have to navigate: an area so ill-served that part of Cambridgeshire NHS does Covid vaccination here!) or Suffolk.

Because it is a postcode lottery, it does not get advertised nationally, so people are often unaware they exist, so they don't get well used.
You are correct, though not a decade ago sinc I was there.

It's now a telephone/ vid link service with the possibility of face to face appointments if necessary,

Which is better than not talking to a doctor at all, but not great

8ts not actually clear you can't just walk in, though if you can they are not making it obvious, I have it in mind they sevice Manchester's homeless population there who arnt big on video links, il try it next time I'm there abouts
Last edited by jois on 4 Oct 2022, 1:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm still amazed that my shoulder pain was dealt with effectively by a physio who I have never met and who sent me, of all things, a hyperlink, in order to fix it. It worked!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

simonineaston wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 1:31pm I'm still amazed that my shoulder pain was dealt with effectively by a physio who I have never met and who sent me, of all things, a hyperlink, in order to fix it. It worked!!
Physios can likely trace their lineage directly to faith healers and witch doctors because they seem to be able to do magic IME.
jois

Post by jois »

simonineaston wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 1:31pm I'm still amazed that my shoulder pain was dealt with effectively by a physio who I have never met and who sent me, of all things, a hyperlink, in order to fix it. It worked!!
Did you pay for this, if so you can make the leap to getting much the same advice for nothing off you tube
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The physiotherapist I saw last (face to face, NHS) went through diagnosis and then constructed an exercises plan on her computer online and e-mailed me a link (whilst I was still in the appointment). She was going through check box system selecting which exercises. It was a link to a personalised page of exercises for me, each exercise has photos, description and a video.

I was impressed as after leaving physio's I always forget some details but the videos made it very clear what you were meant to do.

There were 14 different exercises and that would have taken some time to run through with me, to give and/or for me to write notes, etc. Good system. Called Physio Tools (I think). Must help keep appointments within the time slots.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re: My only accepting Pfizer for Autumn Booster (due to horrendous reaction to last booster)
My region is claiming the Gov is only allowing Pfizer to be used for under 18's and that my age group is obliged to have Moderna (which I wont accept - I'll go without if it's Moderna only). I can trouble my already overstretched GP service and get a letter then they'll give me Pfizer but GPs are already struggling and failing to meet demand so that seems totally daft.

However, unrelated talking to a Pharmacist in another region about an unrelated vaccination yesterday who are doing Covid boosters and they said that there is no such Gov. mandate and that they have the Pfizer and I'm welcome to walk-in and get it (call before to check they are doing walk-in).

So Norfolk seem to be making-up rules as they go just making life difficult for me and increasing load on GPs.

Ian