What did you buy today?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
peetee

Re: What did you buy today?

Post by peetee »

Well, not today, but the end of last week - but I feel that now I can report on the purchase. That being; a decent winter jacket. After spending a fortune on ones that are either waterproof or breathable or a perfect fit it seems like I have found one that is all three. Hoorah!
Now to find some leggings that do the same....hmmmm, tricky.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Which jacket is that?

Cheers James
peetee

Post by peetee »

Jamesh wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 9:04am Which jacket is that?

Cheers James
Endurance Pro SL.
Great colour too! :D
Oh, and I’m slim, lanky - but widening round the middle. :lol:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I decided to enter the 20th Century-if not-the 21st! I bought a so called Sat-Nav for my motorcycle. Must have had a (very) Senior moment because I hate the things. I bet it proves very useful and I do know I already feel embarrassed.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

A second-hand North Face Nuptse 1992 puffer jacket in blue-green.
Really looking forward to it, it looks just lovely.
Also very sorely tempted by a new RD… one has come up at a good price so I’m quite close to pressing the ‘buy’ button.
David2504

Post by David2504 »

Goretex patches to repair my torn winter gore tights a consequence of sliding off last week whilst completing a circuit of Coniston Water due to front wheel losing grip on greasy road underneath trees. Fortunately roads very quiet in off season so no tourist traffic about.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Pot of tea and wedge of homemade cake in our community café. For the bargain cost of £2.50.
No wonder the place is usually full of cyclists. :lol:
North Curry community café.  Closed on Mondays.  Somerset
North Curry community café. Closed on Mondays. Somerset
DSCF0048.JPG (29.88 KiB) Viewed 531 times
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

rjb wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 7:14pm Pot of tea and wedge of homemade cake in our community café. For the bargain cost of £2.50.
No wonder the place is usually full of cyclists. :lol:
DSCF0048.JPG
*makes note to visit Somerset soon*
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Surley Moloko handle bars
Moloko
Moloko
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
pwa

Post by pwa »

leftpoole wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 10:33am I decided to enter the 20th Century-if not-the 21st! I bought a so called Sat-Nav for my motorcycle. Must have had a (very) Senior moment because I hate the things. I bet it proves very useful and I do know I already feel embarrassed.
Satnavs are great for map lovers, of which I am one. I use my car satnav on journeys where the route will take me through urban areas I'm not familiar with, and where lots of junctions are inevitable. I have the sound muted, so that all I have is the moving map, with me in the centre / bottom and my path ahead clearly displayed. I read simple map information like that very quickly so that all I need is the quickest of glances to take in the relevant information and take out any uncertainty. A bit like glancing up at a roadside sign, except that I get to decide on the moment when it is safest to do it. I used to see satnavs as an alternative to maps, but they are not. They are maps themselves, but moving maps that don't require you to turn pages or work out where on the map you currently are. Of course, you still need to have your wits about you and occasionally make navigation decisions contrary to what your satnav suggests.

I used one a few days ago, and for most of my 100 or so miles I didn't look at it, because the route was a simple motorway one, but for the last ten miles or so I was glancing at it as I approached urban junctions, getting the route clear in my head, and it made progress smoother and safer than it would have been if I had been relying more of roadside direction signs and scraps of paper.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

pwa wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 5:19am
leftpoole wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 10:33am I decided to enter the 20th Century-if not-the 21st! I bought a so called Sat-Nav for my motorcycle. Must have had a (very) Senior moment because I hate the things. I bet it proves very useful and I do know I already feel embarrassed.
Satnavs are great for map lovers, of which I am one. I use my car satnav on journeys where the route will take me through urban areas I'm not familiar with, and where lots of junctions are inevitable. I have the sound muted, so that all I have is the moving map, with me in the centre / bottom and my path ahead clearly displayed. I read simple map information like that very quickly so that all I need is the quickest of glances to take in the relevant information and take out any uncertainty. A bit like glancing up at a roadside sign, except that I get to decide on the moment when it is safest to do it. I used to see satnavs as an alternative to maps, but they are not. They are maps themselves, but moving maps that don't require you to turn pages or work out where on the map you currently are. Of course, you still need to have your wits about you and occasionally make navigation decisions contrary to what your satnav suggests.

I used one a few days ago, and for most of my 100 or so miles I didn't look at it, because the route was a simple motorway one, but for the last ten miles or so I was glancing at it as I approached urban junctions, getting the route clear in my head, and it made progress smoother and safer than it would have been if I had been relying more of roadside direction signs and scraps of paper.
I am hoping, if I can actually get to grips with the thing, to plan a route that takes me places without using Motorways at all. I do go on M/ways occasionally on my motorcycle but much prefer not to. Too windy behind, at the side of large vehicles!
jb

Post by jb »

Sat Navs arrived just in time in my car as I can no longer see a printed road map that's resting on my lap. Lord knows how we used to focus on the map find the point your at and make a decision before the car went off the road, then there was the page turning nightmare...
:D
Cheers
J Bro
further

Post by further »

A new platter for my Rega Planar 25
Attachments
813855-65065877-srmtech-deluxe-acrylic-platter-for-rega-amp-nad-hifi-world-recommended.jpg
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

further wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 7:10pm A new platter for my Rega Planar 25
Now that (!) is a great purchase. I used to have a Thorens but changed to Project carbon Evo last year. Love my LP music!