Family with more than kids and parents - how to cycle together?

Tangled Metal

Family with more than kids and parents - how to cycle together?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Off beat thread!

Our family of 4 has a border terrier as number 4. We used to cycle as a family along the canal at the bottom of our road. The dog learnt to run nicely alongside as a puppy. We also did trail centres. However with proper cycling trips like cycle touring holidays we had to leave the dog for 2 weeks with family.

Since then we have moved to a nicer, rural area without safe places for the dog to run with us on our bikes. Our son, number 3, is 9 and OK on the road. Well he's been OK for years but now his mother, number 2 yeah right, is finally sufficiently less stressed with him on his bike so she's OK with him on the road.

So my question is how to go cycling with a dog?

The dog can or could run up to 9 miles on an MTB trail but that left her a bit over tired and we had to keep stopping to give her water. However she is not road safe. We need to cycle from the house as its perfect cycling area part of many routes popular with cyclists. There's no off road routes nearby. So we're thinking trailer or rack basket. She's 7 to 8 kg and too big for front basket I reckon. We had one when she was a puppy but she got too big despite not exceeding weight capacity. Plus if any of us overtook her in the basket and she'd try to jump out.

What options are there?

My ideas are road bike rear rack basket, dog trailer, recumbent with rear basket or splash out on a cargo bike style option with a really big dog basket.

The last one would be very expensive. My idea is a circe morpheus with the recumbent second seat at the front in cargo mode. Or a rear cargo bike like I think surly and others do. Not sure that's financially viable for us.

So any ideas?
Paulatic

Re: Family with more than kids and parents - how to cycle together?

Post by Paulatic »

I’m sure I’ve mentioned before the best set up I came across. A guy cycling from Kings Lynn to Glencoe camping gear on the rear with home made wooden box up front with Jack Russell on board. Going a fair pace too. Your Border won’t be or shouldn’t be much heavier.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Touring with a dog", with photos:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=146570

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Paulatic wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 8:40am I’m sure I’ve mentioned before the best set up I came across. A guy cycling from Kings Lynn to Glencoe camping gear on the rear with home made wooden box up front with Jack Russell on board. Going a fair pace too. Your Border won’t be or shouldn’t be much heavier.
Borders are generally a bigger dog than JRTs. Not much but she's too big for the front dog basket we used when she was a puppy.

We're trying to avoid a trailer and front basket. The one we had was up to 7kg, ours is above that now. Apparently there's a larger model up to 15kg! That's beagle weights.

The guide weight ranges often published for border terriers like our dog are wrong. You're talking kennel club breed standards but I know very few BT owners who dogs met breed standard. I've also met ones that were well above breed standards. Not fat just bigger. Our vet had 9.5kg for ours, she's never weighed more than 7.7kg. We watched them weigh her at 7.3kg then got the vaccine record home and it was recorded at 9.5kg! Mind you, the big BT we saw was probably over that, think smaller, gundog labrador size.

The issue with bar dog baskets is stability. My road bike couldn't take it even without the dog moving. Add in movement and you're in trouble. I'm looking for a rear rack mounted one, preferably one that allows for a longer basket and panniers to be used. My bike rack has the lower, wider spaced pannier mounting tubes which probably helps here.

Anyone got a rear rack dog basket. What are they like?
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I disapprove of people cycling on roads with a dog .Bikes and dogs are incompatible.I like people who run with dogs.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mumbojumbo wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 6:00pm I disapprove of people cycling on roads with a dog .Bikes and dogs are incompatible.I like people who run with dogs.
I disagree

https://twitter.com/BikeIsBestHQ/status ... f9HrQ&s=19
Often seen riding round Manchester
Often seen riding round Manchester
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Pinkie

Post by Pinkie »

Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 11:18pm Off beat thread!

Our family of 4 has a border terrier as number 4. We used to cycle as a family along the canal at the bottom of our road. The dog learnt to run nicely alongside as a puppy. We also did trail centres. However with proper cycling trips like cycle touring holidays we had to leave the dog for 2 weeks with family.

Since then we have moved to a nicer, rural area without safe places for the dog to run with us on our bikes. Our son, number 3, is 9 and OK on the road. Well he's been OK for years but now his mother, number 2 yeah right, is finally sufficiently less stressed with him on his bike so she's OK with him on the road.

The dog can or could run up to 9 miles on an MTB trail but that left her a bit over tired and we had to keep stopping to give her water. However she is not road safe. We need to cycle from the house as its perfect cycling area part of many routes popular with cyclists. There's no off road routes nearby. So we're thinking trailer or rack basket. She's 7 to 8 kg and too big for front basket I reckon. We had one when she was a puppy but she got too big despite not exceeding weight capacity. Plus if any of us overtook her in the basket and she'd try to jump out.

What options are there?

My ideas are road bike rear rack basket, dog trailer, recumbent with rear basket or splash out on a cargo bike style option with a really big dog basket.

The last one would be very expensive. My idea is a circe morpheus with the recumbent second seat at the front in cargo mode. Or a rear cargo bike like I think surly and others do. Not sure that's financially viable for

I have a dog carrier back pack for my JRT, he loves it, wont get out and walk lazy b

I'd post some pictures, but the forum soft ware has defeated me
Pinkie

Post by Pinkie »

Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 11:18pm Off beat thread!

What options are there?

The last one would be very expensive. My idea is a circe morpheus with the recumbent second seat at the front in cargo mode. Or a rear cargo bike like I think surly and others do. Not sure that's financially viable for us.

So any ideas?
I have a dog carrier back pack for my JRT, he loves it, wont get out and walk lazy b

I'd post some pictures, but the forum soft ware has defeated me
Last edited by Pinkie on 16 Nov 2021, 11:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pinkie wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 11:07pmI'd post some pictures, but the forum soft ware has defeated me
To upload a photo:
Click the Attachments button
Click the Add files button
Select the photo on your device and Choose/ whatever
Click the Place inline button
Preview
Submit if you're happy.

Jonathan
Pinkie

Post by Pinkie »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 11:10pm
Pinkie wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 11:07pmI'd post some pictures, but the forum soft ware has defeated me
To upload a photo:
Preview
Submit if you're happy.

Jonathan
Thanks but it's the place in line button that I'm missing
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pinkie wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 11:15pm
To upload a photo:
Preview
Submit if you're happy.
You've selected the photo on your device... does it then appear in a table below the Add Files button? Do you need to scroll down a bit to see it?

What browser and what device are you using?

Jonathan
Pinkie

Post by Pinkie »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 11:25pm
To upload a photo:
Preview
Submit if you're happy.
You've selected the photo on your device... does it then appear in a table below the Add Files button? Do you need to scroll down a bit to see it?

Jonathan
No it doesnt appear to appear on the forum tab, dolphin and a,Samsung phone, might do better if I fire the computer up, I could probably cut and paint then, but then the picture is on my phone,
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pinkie wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 11:28pm
Jdsk wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 11:25pm

No it doesnt appear to appear on the forum tab, dolphin and a,Samsung phone, might do better if I fire the computer up, I could probably cut and paint then, but then the picture is on my phone,
Thanks.

OK... I suggest posting the problem in the Request Help forum:
viewforum.php?f=14

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

RickH wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 5:34pm
mumbojumbo wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 6:00pm I disapprove of people cycling on roads with a dog .Bikes and dogs are incompatible.I like people who run with dogs.
I disagree
As do my dutch friends... although there attitude to how to cycle with a dog is radically different from others I've seen... the lead isn't wrapped round the bars, or hand, it's held flat under one hand, such that it will easily pull out.
With a well behaved dog this isn't an issue, but if something spooks or distracts the dog - then the dog goes and the rider continues as safely as possible.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

I use a o ring clip like on a washing machine hose with a old d ring from a dog collar slipped it on then do it up on the bottom of the bikes frame near the rear wheel and a short bungee cord with carabiner to dogs harness and the d ring its lasts 8 years on my bike against a 17kg terrier mix things to remember are at set up make sure you can peddle with out hiting the dog and keep the bungee short I used about a 30cm bungee she could run just behind my peddle about 10cm from my foot I put the dog on the non chain side of the bike for dogs safetyand note that th3 dog can have some control over your back wheel and make it side but she soon learn not to do that once we found her comfortable speed were she wasnt distracted easily she would run 3-4 mile to town and back happily trails I tend to remove the lead I also taught her that spot on the bike as safe so when I said caution on the bike she would go to that spot makes technical rides and narrow stops such easier when you don't have to think about were the dog is

I can send a pic of the mod on the bike if you want me to but I don't have the bungee to dog side anymore my dog to old to run like that now