Autumn 2021 ride report

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
AlanInBangor

Autumn 2021 ride report

Post by AlanInBangor »

My first end to end, and at 70 I expect it to be the last. An enjoyable trip with a few tedious sections through conurbations and along bumpy canal towpatths.

Bikes on trains summary:
Bangor-Shrewsbury-Newport (TfW) : We reserved bike space but TfW conductors are generally lax and allow more, there were six crammed on one of them which is a worry if there are several on top of yours.
Newport-Penzance : Refurbished HST, known as "Castle Class", up to six bikes in the power car, unreservable but there was plenty of space, vastly superior to the ridiculous cupboards on their Hitachi IETs and on Scotrail's refurbished HSTs.
Wick to Inverness : Ours were the only bikes, an advantage of doing it in the autumn. I booked tthe tickets online a couple of days ahead and picked them up at Wick ticket office.
Sleeper to Crewe : Booked before the start of the trip.
Crewe-Bangor : First train of the day so no contention but again booked the tickets a couple of days ahead as Avanti are stricter tthan TfW.

Full report at http://ourcyclingholidays.co.uk/2021-la ... n-ogroats/
Jamesh

Re: Autumn 2021 ride report

Post by Jamesh »

Looks like a nice tour!

Will do it at that pace in future!

Cheers James
videoman

Post by videoman »

Bookmarked for when I have a spare hour or so to read and looks like a great write up of the ride. I am another one who would like to complete LEJOG at that pace and thanks for sharing
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Really enjoyed your report....so many memories although we went from top down. Same issues with accommodation and food and the horribleness of some places. How do they survive?
Made me all itchy for a repeat journey!