New trains East Coast

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

... if the new East Coast Mainline

Post by st599_uk »

Train operator accepts bikes?

Can't see anything on their website about it: https://www.lumo.co.uk/

Much more competitively priced than LNER (or whatever it's called this week)
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Re: ... if the new East Coast Mainline

Post by Jdsk »

I can't find it.

Here are the carriage layout diagrams:
https://www.lumo.co.uk/who-we-are/reima ... /our-fleet

I think that they say "Bike and bulk" in red in two places per unit.

They're Class 803s.

There's a useful thread developing here:
https://twitter.com/seatsixtyone/status ... 0525306880

So far:
The same question has been asked.
There isn't a straight answer but he's written to ask.
There's something unusual about the handling of luggage.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Looks on the plan like toilet-sized bike hook cupboards again. :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
emleyman

Post by emleyman »

The Travel Advice part of their website says...

Travelling with Bikes

Bicycles are welcome on board our trains; however, as space is limited, reservations (which are free of charge) are mandatory as we are unable to guarantee that we can convey your bicycle without one. This is due to a limited number of spaces on board our trains (bike reservations to a maximum of two per train, can be made during booking the process.). We recommend that bicycle reservations are made at least 24 hours prior to your journey and at the same time as you purchase your ticket. These can be made at any staffed station ticket office, online, via our Social Media team or over the phone through our Telesales team. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate tandem bicycles as we do not have enough space for them on board. To access the bicycle storage spaces on our trains, please see our Customer Experience Ambassador before you board.

Folding bikes are welcomed onboard lumo and won’t be subject to prebooking requirements. Just pack your bike up before boarding the train and store it in the luggage racks.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Two bikes per train. That’s hardly encouraging green travel.
John
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Looks like 4 per training you can get 2 bikes in each locker???

What's in the space behind the driver?

I'm going to ask my brother who works for Hitachi rail....

Cheers James
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Jamesh wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 5:01pm Looks like 4 per training you can get 2 bikes in each locker???

Cheers James
The spec says 2 per cupboard on LNER - in reality it's 1. Or 1/2 in my case as the handlebars won't go through the door if the wheel is on the hook, and the wheel won't go on the hook if the handlebars are through the door.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

st599_uk wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 5:16pm
Jamesh wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 5:01pm Looks like 4 per training you can get 2 bikes in each locker???

Cheers James
The spec says 2 per cupboard on LNER - in reality it's 1. Or 1/2 in my case as the handlebars won't go through the door if the wheel is on the hook, and the wheel won't go on the hook if the handlebars are through the door.
You could turn the bars perhaps. You may not want to but if you are travelling a long distance it only takes a couple of minutes either end.
Bike express expects you to do that.
PH

Post by PH »

Bikes aside, looks like a great new service, I know someone who regularly flies London>Edinburgh, hopefully they can be persuaded to use this instead.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 10:13am Bikes aside, looks like a great new service, I know someone who regularly flies London>Edinburgh, hopefully they can be persuaded to use this instead.
Have you spotted a benefit other than price?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I heard about it on the radio.

They said it was 'in competition' with the likes of Easyjet. Not sure how long it takes to get to airports, check in and fly, but the train takes 4½ hours. Doesn't sound too bad.

EDIT after reading website The radio said no railcards, but looking at the website, these can be used, but not for the discounted fares. The website also says that there are some connecting tickets available, but these are very limited. For me, when I book a ticket out of London, the ticket from my home to London is virtually free. Booking it on its own would add 10 or 15 quid.

Think of this as similar to a budget airline ticket, with their restrictions and you won't go far wrong.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 3:16pm Have you spotted a benefit other than price?
Well the price in itself ought to be enough, at the moment it's cheaper for them to fly than buy an advance ticket. The time is probably about the same, all connections considered.
However the new service is also promising comfortable seats and decent food, whether they deliver is an unknown, but apparently flying isn't a satisfying experience either.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 5:40pm However the new service is also promising comfortable seats and decent food, whether they deliver is an unknown, but apparently flying isn't a satisfying experience either.
Yeah, I'm sure it's better than flying and the price cut seems good, but they are the same train type as London-Edinburgh rival LNER and don't have the buffet that LNER does, so I don't really see how they're going to do comfortable seats or decent food. I understand there is a limited choice of seat options from Hitachi and sibling FirstGroup company GWR's trolley service on that train type is notoriously poor.

But I could be wrong (maybe they have persuaded Hitachi to buy from another seat maker?) and, if not, at least food at or near stations tends to be cheaper and better than food at airports, so still better than flying.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

simonhill wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 4:02pm I heard about it on the radio.

They said it was 'in competition' with the likes of Easyjet. Not sure how long it takes to get to airports, check in and fly, but the train takes 4½ hours. Doesn't sound too bad.

EDIT after reading website The radio said no railcards, but looking at the website, these can be used, but not for the discounted fares. The website also says that there are some connecting tickets available, but these are very limited. For me, when I book a ticket out of London, the ticket from my home to London is virtually free. Booking it on its own would add 10 or 15 quid.

Think of this as similar to a budget airline ticket, with their restrictions and you won't go far wrong.
I follow a YouTuber called Dylan’s Travel Reports, he did a comparison between flying and the train and there wasn’t much in it, time wise, door to door. He went from Edinburgh Castle to the Houses of Parliament, and back again. South by train and north by plane.

https://youtu.be/v6MGpvuCKD8
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com