Dartmoor Cycling ban

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Dartmoor Cycling ban

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Okay, its a matter that much land on Dartmoor is not Rideable at all on a bicycle.
I understand principle of allowing a cyclist to go anywhere like horse riders do at the present.
So yes on the principal you are correct in saying that we should be allowed to access the same land which is the privilege of horse riders.
Especially considering that paths on Dartmoor have been closed by Dartmoor National authority, that were being frequented by horseriders from a stable, run as a business.
I'm not sure that ever going to happen to cyclists using the land.
But as we know it's the privilege of the elite, who seem to have the most influence, Even designing an organisation with a name called "countryside alliance ".
my local cycling club which I am a member of has also done mass protest if I've use the right word there, on Dartmoor.
But it's never been quite clear to me why they were doing it in the first place?
I will ask my club leader the question.
I'm sure it will be on the matter discussed.
But organisations should make sure any organisation, in including all users, especially considering it's a national park like said.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 9:52am Hi,
Okay, its a matter that much land on Dartmoor is not Rideable at all on a bicycle.
I understand principle of allowing a cyclist to go anywhere like horse riders do at the present.
So yes on the principal you are correct in saying that we should be allowed to access the same land which is the privilege of horse riders.

I don’t particularly think anyone is even asking for that. I think that entirely open and unrestricted access for all users regardless of ecological sensitivity or wildlife disturbance would not be an reasonable or achievable ask - but the practical reality is that there are a variety of Bridleway routes within the NP that are impassable (or barely even exist on the ground) but ‘legal’ to ride, and a huge number of well surfaced land-rover tracks, mineral railways and other entirely sustainable that are illegal (in the criminal sense) to rode. That’s just irrational and unjustified.
There are a variety of restrictions that may be justified (on all users) - so long as they are well evidenced focused on the prevention of harm (or restriction on genuine problem behaviour) then that’s fine, but picking one user group out for punitive restrictions without evidence or (real) justification, within the context of a National Park (where the Sandford principle is supposed to act to balance these different issues) goes against the very reason for the creation of National Parks
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Politics.............of course.

There is no reason not to allow full access to cycles........but bicycles are by legal definition a vehicle!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

So are horse drawn carriages - but riding one of them on these routes is merely trespass against the landowner (as, under this judgement, is wild camping), whereas cycling is (criminal law) illegal
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

brianleach

Post by brianleach »

The consensus seems to be bad. Much reduced areas available and those landowners who take part will be paid by the Dartmoor National Park ie us through taxation.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Sorry I see the heading has changed. Did it not start out being about wild camping???
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

brianleach wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 4:29pm Sorry I see the heading has changed. Did it not start out being about wild camping???
Other way round. The thread began some time ago with the threatened renewal of the byelaw banning cycling. It was revived last week after the High Court wild camping case. They are different, but obviously related issues.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 12:03pm Today the Court has found in favour of the land-owner...
Right to wild camp in England lost in Dartmoor court case
“The High Court judgment raises important issues of public interest that are central to the purpose of our National Parks. For this reason, the Authority has determined to seek permission to appeal the judgment."
https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?u=21 ... 9df39c68cb

Jonathan
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »