B & M Bargains!

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
gbnz

B & M Bargains!

Post by gbnz »

Perhaps a one off?

Have needed a replacement/additional water bottle carrier for 12 months +. But cash is tight and the paperclip thin "cheap" carriers available from various high street shops, would have been absurd to buy (£2.50 for a single use?).

So delighted on calling into a B & M Bargains Discount Store! Robust, steel cage (Black), steel bolt water bottle carriers @ £1.00!
Wilhelmus

Re: B & M Bargains!

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 2:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It's a very good store overall, and doing very well as a result, I think. I often see their items recommended on Forums.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Don't buy anything you'd eat or put on your skin from them. Some of that stuff can be fake -- ie there have been reports of containers marked with big brand names being sold but the contents toxic.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/n ... 98645.html
I am here. Where are you?
PH

Post by PH »

Wilhelmus wrote: 6 Nov 2021, 9:09am Things branded Rolson seem to be excellent for the money.
I've only been in one once and it seemed entirely full of tat. I'll have another look next time I need to buy a tool. Rolson sounds a familiar name, was it the brand stocked by Maplin?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cowsham wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 8:14am Don't buy anything you'd eat or put on your skin from them. Some of that stuff can be fake -- ie there have been reports of containers marked with big brand names being sold but the contents toxic.

Absolutely no mention of B&M in that story.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 11:12am
Cowsham wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 8:14am Don't buy anything you'd eat or put on your skin from them. Some of that stuff can be fake -- ie there have been reports of containers marked with big brand names being sold but the contents toxic.

She added: "So my worry was is my daughter going to be losing her hair here?"

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter
Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

Enter your Email Address

The product was bought at a B&M Bargains store.

Ms Patterson complained to Trading Standards - and within weeks officers seized counterfeit shampoo at 15 discount stores across Northern Ireland.

An officer said: "We seized almost 3,000 bottles of the illegal product.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 11:15am

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

Enter your Email Address

Ms Patterson complained to Trading Standards - and within weeks officers seized counterfeit shampoo at 15 discount stores across Northern Ireland.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 11:19am

Enter your Email Address

Do you want me to delete that bit to make the part in bold easier to see? :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bonefishblues wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 11:21am

Enter your Email Address

Shows you people only see what they want to see. How did you miss that one Pete?
I am here. Where are you?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cowsham wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 1:40pm
Shows you people only see what they want to see. How did you miss that one Pete?
Presumably because I could only see part of the articles without "signing up". I've no desire to "sign up" to a DUP supporting newspaper.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 11:36am
Presumably because I could only see part of the articles without "signing up". I've no desire to "sign up" to a DUP supporting newspaper.
No, it's there for all to see without signing up for anything, go back and take a look.

You just missed it - it's possible you know.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I think the issue is with stores like this is they often bypass the official import channels buying goods in other markets where the cost of such goods is less at retail and therefore wholesale prices are also much cheaper and then they import them themselves but of course in some such markets there are more counterfeit products. I would imagine its pretty rare for them to be caught like this but you never know.

I'm pretty sure Poundland have also bypassed the official importer for products they sell and would expect other such stores like Home Bargains, Poundstretcher and similar companies to do that as they have big buying power enough to fill containers full of products from overseas markets. Some products are priced unfairly high in some markets like the UK. Sometimes even products produced in the UK are sold much cheaper in foreign markets. So you end up with exports being re-imported.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bonzo Banana wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 12:37pm

I think the issue is with stores like this is they often bypass the official import channels buying goods in other markets where the cost of such goods is less at retail and therefore wholesale prices are also much cheaper and then they import them themselves but of course in some such markets there are more counterfeit products. I would imagine its pretty rare for them to be caught like this but you never know.

I'm pretty sure Poundland have also bypassed the official importer for products they sell and would expect other such stores like Home Bargains, Poundstretcher and similar companies to do that as they have big buying power enough to fill containers full of products from overseas markets. Some products are priced unfairly high in some markets like the UK. Sometimes even products produced in the UK are sold much cheaper in foreign markets. So you end up with exports being re-imported.
Yes, they got fooled by a particularly good counterfeit, I think.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 11:58am
pete75 wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 11:36am

No, it's there for all to see without signing up for anything, go back and take a look.

You just missed it - it's possible you know.
I get down to a line saying She added: "So my worry was is my daughter going to be losing her hair here?" then the story ends and a banner appears inviting me to sign up.