JoGLE next summer

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Sandhouse

Re: JoGLE next summer

Post by Sandhouse »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 12:02pm
honesty wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 1:17pm I’m definitely now going to do this next year (end of June probably) and wanted peoples thoughts on the route. I’m quite happy with the England bit of the ride.
You have lots of fun gravel sections awaiting you on the Fosse Way. ;) After Colerne Airfield I'd personally go into Batheaston on the little roads to the west, rather than Bannerdown Road which, again, is a racetrack.
I’d also stay on NCN 4 through Bath as it avoids the busiest roads, and whilst the riverside path looks appealing, that section is narrow with lots of pedestrians. Alternatively turn left and follow NCN 4 along the canal path, then Monkton Combe, missing out Bath altogether, it’s a bit bumpy but probably no worse than the Fosse Way.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Sandhouse wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 4:39pm
Richard Fairhurst wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 12:02pm
honesty wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 1:17pm I’m definitely now going to do this next year (end of June probably) and wanted peoples thoughts on the route. I’m quite happy with the England bit of the ride.
You have lots of fun gravel sections awaiting you on the Fosse Way. ;) After Colerne Airfield I'd personally go into Batheaston on the little roads to the west, rather than Bannerdown Road which, again, is a racetrack.
I’d also stay on NCN 4 through Bath as it avoids the busiest roads, and whilst the riverside path looks appealing, that section is narrow with lots of pedestrians. Alternatively turn left and follow NCN 4 along the canal path, then Monkton Combe, missing out Bath altogether, it’s a bit bumpy but probably no worse than the Fosse Way.
Can’t miss Bath, otherwise that’ll mean missing the two tunnels :)

I’ll update the route to follow ncn 4 through Bath. Thanks.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

I'd turn off at Eskdalemuir and go via Castle O'er, Gretna, W Carlisle bypass and back roads to Tebay. Shorter, less hilly and still v scenic

I live in Glossop. Your route from Sowerby Bridge to S of Buxton can be shortened, made less hilly without compromising on quiet, scenic roads etc. I also see you've routed on some unmetalled stretches which are ok-ish for a tourer setup but not for a road bike

I'll come back with some detailed comments on the Sowerby Bridge to S of Buxton stretch
honesty

Post by honesty »

nickyboy wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 11:14am I'd turn off at Eskdalemuir and go via Castle O'er, Gretna, W Carlisle bypass and back roads to Tebay. Shorter, less hilly and still v scenic

I live in Glossop. Your route from Sowerby Bridge to S of Buxton can be shortened, made less hilly without compromising on quiet, scenic roads etc. I also see you've routed on some unmetalled stretches which are ok-ish for a tourer setup but not for a road bike

I'll come back with some detailed comments on the Sowerby Bridge to S of Buxton stretch
Thanks. I’ll have a look at that.

I’m mainly following the Pennine Cycleway through Sowerby Bridge and Buxton which I’m relatively happy with as I’ve ridden that before. Would be interested in seeing routing options though.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

I've seen a bit you've selected that is literally unrideable, other than a full suss MTB (Long Hill Old Road between Whaley Bridge and Buxton) but there are some other tweaks. This route is a few miles shorter but 1,500ft less climbing and is what I would do. Bin it/Use it as you see fit

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37988530
honesty

Post by honesty »

nickyboy wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 1:18pm I've seen a bit you've selected that is literally unrideable, other than a full suss MTB (Long Hill Old Road between Whaley Bridge and Buxton) but there are some other tweaks. This route is a few miles shorter but 1,500ft less climbing and is what I would do. Bin it/Use it as you see fit

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37988530

I’m assuming you mean the old road section just north of Buxton? Yes it was great fun riding that section with a fully loaded touring bike last time as well…. :wink:

I guess they’ve routed the Pennine Cyleway that way to keep it off the A road there? Do you know if the path on the east side of Fernlee reservoir is rideable on a touring bike? This seems to miss out both the a road, and the old road section (that last time I rode seemed to be made up of broken house bricks a holes…)
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Yes it's rideable by the reservoir. Of course if you go that way you're faced with the Goyt's Lane climb which is really hard. If I went the reservoir route, I would go Goyt Valley which is spectacular, then across and down to Glutton (past Buxton speedway) where you can pick up my suggestion via Earl Sterndale
honesty

Post by honesty »

nickyboy wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 3:58pm Yes it's rideable by the reservoir. Of course if you go that way you're faced with the Goyt's Lane climb which is really hard. If I went the reservoir route, I would go Goyt Valley which is spectacular, then across and down to Glutton (past Buxton speedway) where you can pick up my suggestion via Earl Sterndale

That seems like a much better route, and you don’t have to go into Buxton at all. Thanks.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

honesty wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 9:54pm
nickyboy wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 3:58pm Yes it's rideable by the reservoir. Of course if you go that way you're faced with the Goyt's Lane climb which is really hard. If I went the reservoir route, I would go Goyt Valley which is spectacular, then across and down to Glutton (past Buxton speedway) where you can pick up my suggestion via Earl Sterndale

That seems like a much better route, and you don’t have to go into Buxton at all. Thanks.
Another vote for nickyboy's route (I'm local too). As you come to Fernilee on Long Hill, there's a right fork taking you down to a car park at the top of Fernilee Reservoir. There's a smooth, well-laid gravel track for about a mile along the side of the res (with slightly awkward gates at each end) and then a short steep pull up to the top of the dam. Across that, and then up the west side of Errwood Reservoir. It's a one-way tarmac road, good condition but pretty quiet and it climbs gradually, never too steep all the way up to Cat & Fiddle road. Straight across, another climb/descent, across the A53 then down the beautiful descent past Buxton Raceway. Lovely road, really quiet (unless there's an event on at the Raceway!). Then pick up the route again at Earl Sterndale.
RickH

Post by RickH »

puffin wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 2:46am Hope this helps give an alternative idea of what to do between the Forth Bridge and Edinburgh. This is the route I take, its more inland than yours and uses disused railway lines converted into paths.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22969452
Is the visit to Pentland House Residential Care in Penicuik at ~34 miles compulsory? :wink:
Screenshot 2021-12-14 144722.png
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

You’ll enjoy the climb out of Dent to Kingsdale…. Still at least the gate three quarters of the way up gives an excuse to get off and breath!
honesty

Post by honesty »

RickH wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 2:48pm
puffin wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 2:46am Hope this helps give an alternative idea of what to do between the Forth Bridge and Edinburgh. This is the route I take, its more inland than yours and uses disused railway lines converted into paths.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22969452
Is the visit to Pentland House Residential Care in Penicuik at ~34 miles compulsory? :wink:

Screenshot 2021-12-14 144722.png
Hehe! Absolutely a must! :wink:
honesty

Post by honesty »

geocycle wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 6:21pm You’ll enjoy the climb out of Dent to Kingsdale…. Still at least the gate three quarters of the way up gives an excuse to get off and breath!
Yeh, I did it a few years ago as part of the Pennine Cycleway and it was absolutely stunning. Think I walked most of that section though!
biscuitwull

Post by biscuitwull »

I did LEJOG last August and did the Struie the easier way - it is a pretty glorious view from up there I have to say ! Would be a shame to miss if great views are your thing
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

(Another vote for nickyboy's route (I'm local too). As you come to Fernilee on Long Hill, there's a right fork taking you down to a car park at the top of Fernilee Reservoir. There's a smooth, well-laid gravel track for about a mile along the side of the res (with slightly awkward gates at each end) and then a short steep pull up to the top of the dam. Across that, and then up the west side of Errwood Reservoir. It's a one-way tarmac road, good condition but pretty quiet and it climbs gradually, never too steep all the way up to Cat & Fiddle road. Straight across, another climb/descent, across the A53 then down the beautiful descent past Buxton Raceway. Lovely road, really quiet (unless there's an event on at the Raceway!). Then pick up the route again at Earl Sterndale.)

I copied and pasted the above paragraph.

I’m also local.
The gate at the lower end of Fernilee Reservoir is a swinging one. It hasn’t been fitted very well so swings open further than you would expect!
The swing gate at the upper end of Fernilee is much tighter, but the large gate can be opened easily once you know how! I’ve attached photos so that you can see how the catch works. You just slide the small block of metal up and then slide the bolt across.
Rareposter, I hope you don’t mind but I’ve added a little more detail to the section after the top of the Goyt Valley - as follows:
Once you have crossed the cattle grid at the top of the beautiful Goyt Valley follow the road to the right. You then take the first left (a steep little corner) and go up to the A537 (‘Cat’ road). Go straight across and then after a few yards go left and right to cross the A54. This next road has cattle grids at each end. When you have dropped down the other side then cross the A53 and continue past the raceway.
Attachments
4A12B6B3-51EB-40A3-B320-C6E29FCAD8E2.jpeg
3BC83969-1063-45AF-8E6E-6F507BEBA7D8.jpeg