Chain ring alloy

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Halla

Chain ring alloy

Post by Halla »

Good Morning.

I am considering replacing the chain-set on my winter bike.

I am considering the Stronglight Impact at £69 at SPA Cycles. The SPA website does not indicate the alloy used for the chain rings. I phoned SPA and they did not know the answer.

Inspection of an Impact chain-set in my possession shows 5083 on the rings, which the internet says is softer than Dural.

I have always understood that for longevity Zicral chain rings give better wear, this is equivalent to 7075, if I have understood correctly.

I am interested in the experience of others and if 5083 gives good service.

Is it worth the extra outlay to pay for Zicral rings over Dural?

The chain-set which I have just removed is Shimano Hollow Tech with rings marked SGX, it has not given good service,

I do clean the chains regularly and change them at 75% wear.

Many thanks ARH
fastpedaller

Re: Chain ring alloy

Post by fastpedaller »

I use one of the Spa 'own brand' triple chainsets and mostly the middle ring. The middle ring started 'hooking' after about 4 years, and I asked myself the same question about alloy durability/type. I ended up buying just one (Spa) Zicral middle ring (38) on the basis that the other 2 rings weren't visibly worn or likely to suffer much wear........ Inner ring I only engage once a year to ensure it still works, and big ring I occasionally use on decents and very rarely on the flat with a following wind. The middle Zicral ring shows no signs of wear after replacement about 3 years ago, so I suspect it's more durable than the original. Hope that helps.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

This thread has reminded me of an old thread....yes, the cheap Stronglignt** rings do wear eventually, even if you replace chains very regularly.....however, it seems you can "correct" the wear with a little gentle filing........viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116834&p=1651940#p1651940

** often said to be Dural, but probably aren't!
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

It's not life or death, is it?
I should coco.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Valbrona wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 9:19pm It's not life or death, is it?
That could be said about 99% of topics on here. Doesn't stop it being of interest to some - including me :wink:
mig

Post by mig »

i rode various stronglight rings on fixed for many winters and never found an appreciable difference in wear rates on dural or zicral rings.

i do find that TA rings are a cut above though. a tad more 'spendy' of course.

best ring ever was an eggring made by highpath engineering back in the day. that thing ran for year after year with ne'er a blemish. unavailable sadly now of course but what a thing! i have still got it - must find a decent 86bcd right hand crank one day and get it back in action.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

fastpedaller wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 10:30am I use one of the Spa 'own brand' triple chainsets and mostly the middle ring. The middle ring started 'hooking' after about 4 years, and I asked myself the same question about alloy durability/type. I ended up buying just one (Spa) Zicral middle ring (38) on the basis that the other 2 rings weren't visibly worn or likely to suffer much wear........ Inner ring I only engage once a year to ensure it still works, and big ring I occasionally use on decents and very rarely on the flat with a following wind. The middle Zicral ring shows no signs of wear after replacement about 3 years ago, so I suspect it's more durable than the original. Hope that helps.
Hmm, I replaced the chain rings June 18', using a Spa own brand Zicral for the middle ring (Spa Dural on the lower use outer and inner). Edit; inner was Zicral and has moderate wear

I've had a moderate mileage, only a couple of 3-4 day "tours" c/w heavy load, no regular commuting and thus limited winter riding and I tend to comprehensively clean the chain/chainset etc every 2-3 months, replacing the chain when required. But the chainring is just about worn out, badly hooked.
Last edited by gbnz on 13 Nov 2021, 9:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

gbnz wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 8:22pm ............ But the chainring is just about worn out, badly hooked.
Picture?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

531colin wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 5:11pm
gbnz wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 8:22pm ............ But the chainring is just about worn out, badly hooked.
Picture?
Sorry, no camera. Was going to edit the post as I suspect any replacement alloy chainring would wear in the same manner. The Spa zicral chainrings look very impressive/high quality when new, but possibly they and others don't last as long as Shimano/Campag originals?

I know the Campag originals on my road bike will easily have done 3-4 times the mileage of the replacement chainrings, with no where near the hooking signs of wear (Nb. Though could it be due to elevation causing excess wear? A quick check shows my 22 mile quick evening spin on the Campags had a 200' climb, whilst my 22 mile quick evening spin on the Spa's has a 1350' climb. Now in a much hiller part of the country :? )
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

531colin wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 4:50pmthe cheap Stronglignt** rings do wear eventually.
** often said to be Dural, but probably aren't!
The cheap Stronglight "Dural" chainrings are 5083
The TA, Stronglight Zicral, and the Spa own brand chainrings are all 7075-T6

According to Brucey, what the engineering world refers to as dural is a completely different alloy.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

How clean and lubricated you keep the chain/chainring is going to have far more influence on the the life of either than the aluminium alloy used for the chainring.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

NickJP wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 9:54am How clean and lubricated you keep the chain/chainring is going to have far more influence on the the life of either than the aluminium alloy used for the chainring.
Perhaps. But I never once removed my Campag chainset or chain to clean it. Merely lubricated it.

In contrast my replacement chainrings and chains are removed and cleaned as a matter of routine. Yet they've lasted a fraction of the mileage (Nb. Suppose my previous Spa chainset lasted 3 yr's use; fitted mid summer '15, had to be replaced June '18)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

NickJP wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 9:54am How clean and lubricated you keep the chain/chainring is going to have far more influence on the the life of either than the aluminium alloy used for the chainring.
And to renew a thread; gearset has had to be replaced, inner & middle chainrings Zicral (Nb. Remaining parts Shimano//KMC I had in stock). But having latterly made a note of maintenance in the diary; forgotten that I've actually got a spreadsheet based maintenance log, I.e. chainset deep clean 23.03.20, 13.05.20, 20.06.20 etc, etc, etc

And perhaps I've made a mistake buying the Zicral rings; they've always looked great, but have clearly "melted" like butter in the past. Incredible to think the chainset which came on a Giant or Specialized bike, did 5yr's of high mileage, with acceptable wear. Whereas the Zicral middle ring was showing mild wear at 2500 miles (30.10.19), yet heavy wear by 10,.08.20, despite doing a much reduced mileage. Only physical difference has been that the Spa rings have been cycled on in much hillier terrain.

May keep a mileage log this time and see whether the brand new rings are showing signs of wear by 2000-3000 miles, If so, buying a complete Shimano or equivalent crankset at 4-5 times the price, may be the cheaper option?
Last edited by gbnz on 28 Feb 2022, 8:33am, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I haven't used Shimano rings for a long while now, but they never used to last longer than other decent brands. What are they making them out of that is harder than 7075-T6? The TA rings I have bought in recent years wear as well as any I've ever had, and certainly outlive two or three cassettes and numerous chains.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

I had a similar question before
viewtopic.php?p=1404097#p1404097
geomannie