Heat in the home

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

My central heating is set for what range?

I don't have central heating
13%
below 18
36%
18-20
39%
21-22
3%
23-25
3%
25-plus
5%

Total votes: 61

[XAP]Bob

Re: Heat in the home

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Potentially a long fixed contract?

Church's business contract has rates of 18.76 (weekday), 12.6 (night) and 14.46 (other).
Our previous treasurer played an absolute blinder and fixed for three years in February last year - I'm hoping that the market will have settled somewhat by the time that needs renewing.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

rjb wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 1:45pm
pete75 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 12:25pm
Jon in Sweden wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 4:51pm

Electricity price here today is £0.17/kwh including all taxes.
I'm paying 20.25 pence kwh day rate and 13.73 pence night rate including tax. Not so different to Sweden.
The current price cap for electric is set at approx 35p/unit with a standing charges of 50p/day. How are you getting it so cheaply. :?
The price cap is a maximum not a fixed price. It was the price when I took out the contract with the electricity company. They are bound by the contracted price for the life of the contract.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 12:37pm
pete75 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 12:25pm

I'm paying 20.25 pence kwh day rate and 13.73 pence night rate including tax. Not so different to Sweden.
The current price cap for electric is set at approx 35p/unit with a standing charges of 50p/day. How are you getting it so cheaply. :?
The price cap is a maximum not a fixed price. It was the price when I took out the contract with the electricity company. They are bound by the contracted price for the life of the contract.
Is the standing charge fixed too?

Anyway, good companies used their fixed price contracts to hedge against the electricity price. I've no problem with that.

Bad companies gambled and many of them lost and now (almost) everyone is paying for bailing the failures out through the high standing charges, which is unfair, as well as undermining energy use reduction policies.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mjr wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 1:49pm

Anyway, good companies used their fixed price contracts to hedge against the electricity price. I've no problem with that.

Bad companies gambled and many of them lost and now (almost) everyone is paying for bailing the failures out through the high standing charges, which is unfair, as well as undermining energy use reduction policies.
SC will normally be fixed along with the unit price in a contract.

Hedging should be mandated in the industry.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 1:49pm

It's 27.54 pence per day.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Britain's flagship heat pump scheme has been branded an “embarrassment” after badly missing its target of 30,000 annual installations and spending just 40pc of its budget.

Fewer than 10,000 heat pumps were installed in the first year of the grant programme, which gives households money to pay for them as part of net zero efforts to wean Britain off gas.

Mike Foster, chief executive of the Energy and Utilities Alliance trade body, which represents boiler manufacturers, said: “It takes a certain type of genius to fail to give away £150m of taxpayers’ money and this wretched scheme looks like it has done just that.

“When will the Government actually listen to the people, the majority of whom simply cannot afford a heat pump, subsidised or not?

“The scheme is simply a taxpayer handout to those who don’t need it. It does little for carbon saving compared to investment on insulation. It does not help people keep bills low. It takes from the poor to give to the wealthy and it is an embarrassment of a policy.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... ns-target/
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 10:13am Britain's flagship heat pump scheme has been branded an “embarrassment” after badly missing its target of 30,000 annual installations and spending just 40pc of its budget.

Fewer than 10,000 heat pumps were installed in the first year of the grant programme, which gives households money to pay for them as part of net zero efforts to wean Britain off gas.

Mike Foster, chief executive of the Energy and Utilities Alliance trade body, which represents boiler manufacturers, said: “It takes a certain type of genius to fail to give away £150m of taxpayers’ money and this wretched scheme looks like it has done just that.

“When will the Government actually listen to the people, the majority of whom simply cannot afford a heat pump, subsidised or not?

“The scheme is simply a taxpayer handout to those who don’t need it. It does little for carbon saving compared to investment on insulation. It does not help people keep bills low. It takes from the poor to give to the wealthy and it is an embarrassment of a policy.”
I have to agree with all that -realistically the policy will run up against peoples ability/willingness to pay.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I still don't get why the relatively straightforward & inexpensive strategy of retro-fitting insulation has virtually disppeared without trace. I was living in an inner-city suburb of Bristol a few years ago and dozens of hard-working Poles were to be seen screwing great sheets of foamy stuff to neighbours' houses and hard-rendering them afterwards. Said neighbours declared them to be a great success. Maureen on the corner reported that she hadn't had to run her ch since... mind you, she has a nice colelction of wooly jumpers :-) I suppose the explanation is that it doesn't make enough people enough profit... as thou shalt sew, so shall you reap.
corner house, post retro fit...
corner house, post retro fit...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Very glad to see Al agreeing with the radicals at Insulate Britain, and look forward to seeing him glued to a motorway soon :wink:

http://insulatebritain.com/

Post by 853 »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 11:39am I still don't get why the relatively straightforward & inexpensive strategy of retro-fitting insulation has virtually disppeared without trace. I was living in an inner-city suburb of Bristol a few years ago and dozens of hard-working Poles were to be seen screwing great sheets of foamy stuff to neighbours' houses and hard-rendering them afterwards. Said neighbours declared them to be a great success. Maureen on the corner reported that she hadn't had to run her ch since... mind you, she has a nice colelction of wooly jumpers :-) I suppose the explanation is that it doesn't make enough people enough profit... as thou shalt sew, so shall you reap.Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 11.36.19.png
I think a lot of it is a result of the Grenfell disaster. Would you pay money to have something that may, or may not, be flammable on your walls and would it make the house unsaleable in the eyes of a house buyer's mortgage lender?

I should state I am a great fan of insulation, but can understand that a lot of people have probaby been scared off external insulation.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Some houses with external insulation dont look great. There are many council properties nearby that have been insulated and rendered.
Lady across the road in a terrace said she is always cold. I pointed out that when it snowed her roof melted way before the others in the terrace and asked whether it was insulated. She said it was not and added that she was having bigger radiators put in.....barmy!.....time for the stick!
Insulation and draught proofing are no brainer first port of call energy and emission savers.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......

Post by 853 »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 3:48pm Some houses with external insulation dont look great. There are many council properties nearby that have been insulated and rendered.
The houses that have external insulation around here look great - better than they did before. The local housing association, who took control of the former council housing stock, externally insulated all of their solid-walled properties. Some are imitation brick, that you wouldn't believe wasn't brick, and some are render pattern with totally realistic brick arches and features.

I don't know what the performance benefits have been like, but I haven't heard any moaning
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 3:48pm Some houses with external insulation dont look great. There are many council properties nearby that have been insulated and rendered.
Lady across the road in a terrace said she is always cold. I pointed out that when it snowed her roof melted way before the others in the terrace and asked whether it was insulated. She said it was not and added that she was having bigger radiators put in.....barmy!.....time for the stick!
Insulation and draught proofing are no brainer first port of call energy and emission savers.

Al
A lot of Wimpy No-Fines around here. They look a lot better with the external insulation the council are putting on those they still own.
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 10:13am Britain's flagship heat pump scheme has been branded an “embarrassment” after badly missing its target of 30,000 annual installations and spending just 40pc of its budget.
Which "newspaper" is that post being ripped off from?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

mjr wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 10:13pm
Which "newspaper" is that post being ripped off from?
Well it was in "the Times" and on the BBC website - why the emotive "ripped off from" ? it's obvious that the only people to subscribe to the scheme will be those who have the financial resources to do so and not all of those.
Are you implying that take up is greater than the 30000 reported?