Heat in the home

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

My central heating is set for what range?

I don't have central heating
13%
below 18
36%
18-20
39%
21-22
3%
23-25
3%
25-plus
5%

Total votes: 61

Vorpal

Re: Heat in the home

Post by Vorpal »

We don't have central heating.

We have underfloor heating in the bathroom, and one bedroom. We keep that at about 18. We have a woodburner in the lounge, and electric radiators in most rooms. Except when there is a fire in the woodburner, the house is generally around 16. It drops a couple of degrees in the coldest part of the morning. The woodburner obviously makes the lounge warmer, but if we have a fire, we do it in the evening, and the chimney tends to keep the house a little warmer at night, so we don't get as much of a drop in temperature for the coldest part.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rjb

Post by rjb »

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
How much electric do you burn over the year? How much is a unit of electric in Sweden. No heat pump?. Is all your heating by electric apart from your wood burner.? Even the underfloor heating.

As I child I lived in a Victorian 2 up, 2 down with a coal fire in one room only. We lived in Plymouth so down in the warmer south. It was cold, especially getting into a cold bed, even with a hot water bottle.

I am not sure how I would cope without gas now. Perhaps put a log burner in in case we have a power cut and can't have gasin the future. How warm is it 6 feet down, my next destination. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

Hellhound wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 12:01pm
mjr wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 11:50am
Hellhound wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 11:36pm That makes perfect sense to me.How else are they/we supposed to dry clothes at this time of year?
Stand this in the outhouse:
TORNADO DRY CLOTHES dryer. Perfect for small flat. - £15.00 | PicClick UK – https://picclick.co.uk/Tornado-Dry-Clot ... 44980.html
0.9kW, compared to 3kW average for a tumble dryer and god knows what for the damage of damp air in your home.
We don't have an outhouse.It says perfect for a small flat.No good for a family of 4.
Depends how quick you need the washing dry and how often it's wet out. Here in dry East Anglia, it'd easily be enough to keep an average family going over the few periods of consecutive rainy days.
Our washing machine is on all day most days.Towels,bedding,clothing.
Ah well yes, if you're doing such extreme amounts of washing, you probably need a large drying room to avoid burning tons of energy.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I have found that a washing line with a roof, but open on all sides, to allow plenty of air but keep out the rain, is very effective.
One I used was under a balcony.
I seem to remember seeing such purpose built drying areas, perhaps at camp sites.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Mike Sales wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 5:55pm I have found that a washing line with a roof, but open on all sides, to allow plenty of air but keep out the rain, is very effective.
I seem to remember seeing such purpose built drying areas, perhaps at camp sites.
I'm always surprised, given the British weather why clothes drying areas haven't been designed into modern houses - during my organic farm volunteering days most clothing was dried in the polytunnels.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

cycle tramp wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 6:03pm
Mike Sales wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 5:55pm I have found that a washing line with a roof, but open on all sides, to allow plenty of air but keep out the rain, is very effective.
I'm always surprised, given the British weather why clothes drying areas haven't been designed into modern houses - during my organic farm volunteering days most clothing was dried in the polytunnels.
We do build such shelters for cars though. They should be repurposed.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Hellhound wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 12:14pm
francovendee wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 12:06pm This morning we were gifted a tumble dryer. It's quite small and doesn't have a vent pipe. Does the moisture just exit into the house?
Is it a condenser dryer?
I would Google the machine in particular then look up 'condenser' dryers.
Our pumps the moisture down the outlet pipe.
I think looking closely at it it's quite old. Creda Compact T313VW I believe. It has a vent built into the door so I think it just vents into the room. It's still in the back of the car so I'll take a better look tomorrow.
I don't think we'll be using it if it does.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

After we have ruba dubbed dub in the sink, it goes through the mangle and gets hung up on the Sheila in the kitchen in the winter. Finally 'ironing' is achieved by neatly folding things and leaving them on the hot AGA lids. In the summer its dried outside on the line. No comparison between freshly dried and aired washing and stuff dried indoors.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 6:54pm After we have ruba dubbed dub in the sink, it goes through the mangle and gets hung up on the Sheila in the kitchen in the winter. Finally 'ironing' is achieved by neatly folding things and leaving them on the hot AGA lids. In the summer its dried outside on the line. No comparison between freshly dried and aired washing and stuff dried indoors.

Al
I stayed for a while in a climbing hut which had a mangle out the back. Excellent, but you do have to watch the buttons.
I expect many of us have seen the advert for an item which is said to give tumble dried clothing the freshness of natural, outdoor drying.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Back when we woz kids, we had two coal fires. One in the livingroom and one in the dining room.
No heater in the kitchen, and no heater in the hall or upstairs at all. Three bedroom semi.
Many were the mornings we could scrape the frost of the insides of all the windows.

Just looking at an old diary. 25years since we bought this bungalow.
I keep a diary - notes about stuff - and I see that on Jan 2nd 1997 (25years ago on Sunday) it was minus 8degC here.

Plus 12degC out there now and hasn't dropped below 9degC for nights on end for weeks.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 7:20pm .
No heater in the kitchen, and no heater in the hall or upstairs at all. Three bedroom semi.
Many were the mornings we could scrape the frost of the insides of all the windows.

In my childhood we lived in school houses which usually had a Rayburn in the kitchen.
I remember the winter of '63 and frost on the inside of the glass.
Of course, we had real winters in those days, and no double glazing.
I used to take a short cut across the river on the way to school.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Mike Sales wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 7:36pm
Suppose we did, what with temperatures normally down to -25 and school not closed till it got to -30. Suppose we had double glazing, though only when when the winter windows were installed (Nb. Obviously you couldn't have summer windows fitted in winter, it'd be like not wearing your snow trousers, or touching metal outside :roll: )
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

gbnz wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 8:36pm
Mike Sales wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 7:36pm
Suppose we did, what with temperatures normally down to -25 and school not closed till it got to -30.
Part of the 'cold' reason for schools closing nowadays is the lack of proximity. Far more children and teachers could, or did, walk to school, now they can't. My wife went to a primary school with just 30 pupils total - it's been long closed just as many such sized small schools have been.

I guess (though don't know) far fewer children walk longish distances to school though - for primary school l walked 1.1 miles each way, and where l live now l bet children would have walked the 2.2 miles into the village - they don't now of course, l think far more children will be transported by car.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The current problem for schools, this winter, is the requirement to have classroom windows open during lessons. All day. For ventilation. We are lucky that, so far, winter has been exceptionally mild.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 7:52am The current problem for schools, this winter, is the requirement to have classroom windows open during lessons. All day. For ventilation. We are lucky that, so far, winter has been exceptionally mild.
20 months in and schools still aren't equipped with heat recovery ventilation systems. This seems like rank incompetence by education ministries.

And I thought windows only had to be open 10 minutes an hour, plus any more shown as needed by carbon dioxide monitors.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.