Heat in the home

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

My central heating is set for what range?

I don't have central heating
13%
below 18
36%
18-20
39%
21-22
3%
23-25
3%
25-plus
5%

Total votes: 61

rjb

Re: Heat in the home

Post by rjb »

Gas prices rise and fall according to demand and as demand is ramping up globally we are paying the going rate. As we privatised all our assets they now charge us wholesale prices based on the world market to buy back our north sea gas. The energy firm owners are making billions. There was talk this morning on R4 of charging them a windfall tax. Essential assets like this should have been kept in the public domain then we would only be paying the true cost of production. Time to nationalise the utilities again. There has been far less wind than predicted this summer and autumn and with the current fleet of nukes reaching there end of life we are relying on gas to power our electric generation. Its making the strike price agreed for Hinkley C electric of less than 10p a unit seem like a bargain now, although you wont get any electric for another 5 years at the earliest. :lol:
As for the french Al, if construction replicates Flamanville in Normandy then we may be waiting a long time yet. Not due to start up until 2023, construction started in 2007. :shock:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamanvil ... ower_Plant
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

mjr wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 2:47pm
francovendee wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 2:23pm
Hellhound wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 10:39am
We don't pay far off that anyway,around £1800 IIRC.Like anything else it costs what it costs!
Great if you can afford it but many people's budgets are already at breaking point.
£2k or£10 k the rich won't notice it.
Middle and lower earners most certainly will.
But what is the way out of this mess? Time travel seems to be needed for the best solutions!
I'm no expert but before we even get to switching (pardon the pun) over to electricity for all things, first you have to ensure there are ways of generating green energy at all times of year and weather, If this is too costly then find a workable storage system.
I have a horrible feeling this government will just hand it all over to private companies who will in turn hold back until forced to provide either the capacity to generate or store enough energy.
I'm a firm believer that energy should not be other than a nationally owned resource.
I don't believe grand plans to de-carbonise by a set date without controlling how this is to be done can work.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

francovendee wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 8:02am Radio 4 today. 'Average yearly household fuel cost to reach £2000 by summer'.
We don't pay far off that anyway,around £1800 IIRC.Like anything else it costs what it costs!
Great if you can afford it but many people's budgets are already at breaking point.
Rich :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I would put us in 'middle' earners bracket and £2k is not out of the way at all :roll:
As the post said £2k will be the average.
We pay a lot less for our 3-bed semi than a lot of friends do who live in larger detached!
There are certain things that fall into utilities/necessities and unfortunately these have to be paid for.No point complaining :roll: Fuel prices rise.That is a fact.You either get on with it or let it bother you.
I am the former.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Well shares in Renewable energy group gave a return over the last 12 months of 6%. Compared with the drinks giant Diageo's return of almost 90%.
£20k of shares purchased in 1988 are now worth £1.6 million. Invest in booze or drink it?
:|
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hellhound wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 6:26pm
Rich :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I would put us in 'middle' earners bracket and £2k is not out of the way at all :roll:
We pay a lot less for our 3-bed semi than a lot of friends do who live in larger detached!
There are certain things that fall into utilities/necessities and unfortunately these have to be paid for.No point complaining :roll: Fuel prices rise.That is a fact.You either get on with it or let it bother you.
I am the former.
25+ all year round 24/7 that is what my Hive is set to.If it drops below that,even in Summer,the heating kicks in.I like it warm.No point having central heating and not using it.It's very windy and about 2° outside and I'm sat here with shorts and a t-shirt on 8)
No wonder you pay so much...

Do you run the tumble drier all year as well?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

25+ all year round 24/7 that is what my Hive is set to.If it drops below that,even in Summer,the heating kicks in.I like it warm.No point having central heating and not using it.It's very windy and about 2° outside and I'm sat here with shorts and a t-shirt on 8)
You should pop around to @100%JR 's home you’ll be warm enough there :wink:
100%JR wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 9:22am [
If I can't sit comfortably in shorts and a T all year round it's too cold.
Hive is currently set at 25 degrees and heating is on 24/7.The Hive sensor/thermostat is on the Stairs as that's the coolest part of the house :?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 5:07pm
I am the former.
No wonder you pay so much...
Do you run the tumble drier all year as well?
As I stated we pay less than most of our friends with larger houses :wink: We pay around £170pm.It seems the average amongst friends is over £200pm.Most of those live in new build and allegedly better insulated houses than ours.
Our washing machine packed up just before Xmas so we bought a washer/dryer.It has been used every day since.I doubt we will use it in the drier months.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

100%JR wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 9:22am If I can't sit comfortably in shorts and a T all year round it's too cold.
Hive is currently set at 25 degrees and heating is on 24/7.The Hive sensor/thermostat is on the Stairs as that's the coolest part of the house :?
There's no hope for curbing climate change if everyone takes that attitude.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chatting to someone today, who lives in a house with seven people (various ages).
Washing?
Rain and damp and horrid for weeks on end here recently, so hanging washing on the line outside isn't an option.

They use the central heating radiators to dry clothes and also the tumble dryer every single day.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

A sheila maid comes in handy for these situations and it doubles as a bike hoist too, or even a hammock for some. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

axel_knutt wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 6:46pm
Hellhound wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 6:26pm 25+ all year round 24/7 that is what my Hive is set to.If it drops below that,even in Summer,the heating kicks in.I like it warm.No point having central heating and not using it.It's very windy and about 2° outside and I'm sat here with shorts and a t-shirt on 8)
100%JR wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 9:22am If I can't sit comfortably in shorts and a T all year round it's too cold.
There's no hope for curbing climate change if everyone takes that attitude.
As I've said before there's no hope anyway.It might make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside thinking you're helping by sitting in a cold house but in reality you're doing nothing but butter up your own ego :wink:
Mick F wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 6:54pm Chatting to someone today, who lives in a house with seven people (various ages).
Washing?
Rain and damp and horrid for weeks on end here recently, so hanging washing on the line outside isn't an option.
They use the central heating radiators to dry clothes and also the tumble dryer every single day.
That makes perfect sense to me.How else are they/we supposed to dry clothes at this time of year?Certain clothes,Jeans and Hoodies for example,smell fusty and damp if not dried quickly with direct heat.No point washing them if you're going to let them smell :roll:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Hellhound wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 11:36pm That makes perfect sense to me.How else are they/we supposed to dry clothes at this time of year?
Stand this in the outhouse:
TORNADO DRY CLOTHES dryer. Perfect for small flat. - £15.00 | PicClick UK – https://picclick.co.uk/Tornado-Dry-Clot ... 44980.html

0.9kW, compared to 3kW average for a tumble dryer and god knows what for the damage of damp air in your home from wet washing on radiators against medical and plumbing advice. https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/new ... h-warning/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

mjr wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 11:50am
Hellhound wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 11:36pm That makes perfect sense to me.How else are they/we supposed to dry clothes at this time of year?
Stand this in the outhouse:
TORNADO DRY CLOTHES dryer. Perfect for small flat. - £15.00 | PicClick UK – https://picclick.co.uk/Tornado-Dry-Clot ... 44980.html
0.9kW, compared to 3kW average for a tumble dryer and god knows what for the damage of damp air in your home.
We don't have an outhouse.It says perfect for a small flat.No good for a family of 4.Our washing machine is on all day most days.Towels,bedding,clothing.The dryer has at least freed up the downstairs radiators to do what they should...heat the rooms 8)
It seems some people are happy to sit with damp laundry around the home.We aren't.Horses for courses.
Damp air from what?The washer/dryer is inside the kitchen units.There is no residual heat from the drier at all.The last dryer we had needed a hose out of a window/door the new one doesn't.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

This morning we were gifted a tumble dryer. It's quite small and doesn't have a vent pipe. Does the moisture just exit into the house?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

francovendee wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 12:06pm This morning we were gifted a tumble dryer. It's quite small and doesn't have a vent pipe. Does the moisture just exit into the house?
Is it a condenser dryer?
I would Google the machine in particular then look up 'condenser' dryers.
Our pumps the moisture down the outlet pipe.