Heat in the home

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

My central heating is set for what range?

I don't have central heating
13%
below 18
36%
18-20
39%
21-22
3%
23-25
3%
25-plus
5%

Total votes: 61

Pebble

Re: Heat in the home

Post by Pebble »

Mick F wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 2:26pm Chatting to a business owner today, and he has done his sums. I know him well, and I understand him.

When the electricity prices go up through the roof next month, he's buying a diesel generator.
Cheaper to run, than buy lecky off the grid.
Cheaper than investing in solar panels.

Sad, but true.
doubt he has done his sums propery. small 5kw one will use 3 litres per hour, if you coud buy red diesel thats about £1 per litre. So it would be costing about 60p per kwh (and that is assuming you use all of it)(and doesnt include the cost of buying one) . Domestic electric is going to be capped at 35p (don't know what commercial rates are)

This reminds me, I have a 2 stroke genny (0.75kw) should dig that out and see if it stills runs, could be handy this winter when we start having blackouts.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

I've just had an email from Scottish power and my Gas is going up by £551pa/£11pw and Electricity by £185pa/£4pw or £60 per month extra on top of the £150 per month rise earlier this year and that's with the Government 'price cap'.So we'll be paying over £200 a month more than we were 12 months ago :roll:
We can afford it,ideally don't want to pay it,but I really feel for those who are really going to struggle.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

PedallingSquares wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 3:07pm I've just had an email from Scottish power and my Gas is going up by £551pa/£11pw and Electricity by £185pa/£4pw or £60 per month extra on top of the £150 per month rise earlier this year and that's with the Government 'price cap'.So we'll be paying over £200 a month more than we were 12 months ago :roll:
We can afford it,ideally don't want to pay it,but I really feel for those who are really going to struggle.
2020 we were paying £108 per month, I'm expecting when the new price comes in in Ocotber I will be £310 per month - its a fair whack.

but then again is £10 a day for all heating and cooking ridiculous? .... some people spend that on smoking (and are on benefits). We have become very accustomed to cheap energy.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm totally confused about the Gov. Energy Price Cap. Yesterday I got a letter from my electricity provider telling me that in my region, for my payment method the price is capped by Gov. at 52.9p per kWh. Elsewhere in the letter they tell me they are charging me a new higher price for my electricity, new price to be 35.05 p per kWh.

So how do I benefit from the price cap when I'm now going to be paying 15p less than the cap? Or is the price cap set at what they expect the price to be in the future (so I'll be paying even more price increases before the Gov. actually start to help me)?

I must confess I've not researched it a lot because I try and minimise electricity use anyway and have to pay whatever they charge. Not a great deal of choice if you already use as little as possible.

(I don't have gas)

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The price cap of £0.52 per KW h is from 1 October 2022.

Beyond that I recommend MoneySaving Expert: "What is the energy price cap?":
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utili ... price-cap/
which includes a calculator.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 2:55pm Some of those generators can run on Natural gas. Gas is 1/4 the price per Kw compared to electric so even allowing for the conversion inefficiency you could make a saving and also stuff the electric standing charge of £180 per year. :wink:
Could you cope with the noise though.
He reckons that they come in a sound-proof container thingy, and run almost silently.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

My energy provider is quoting a price per kWh for electric of 33p. Hidden in the small print is that figure includes the £400 discount which equals approx 17p per unit so the true cost is £0.50 per kWh for electric. Talk about smoke and mirrors - I can see why everyone is confused. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 4:38pm My energy provider is quoting a price per kWh for electric of 33p. Hidden in the small print is that figure includes the £400 discount which equals approx 17p per unit so the true cost is £0.50 per kWh for electric. Talk about smoke and mirrors - I can see why everyone is confused.
We were talking about display and wording on Friday morning. And concluded that much of the documentation is now highly problematic in terms of consumer rights.

Requirement for transparency
(1)A trader must ensure that a written term of a consumer contract, or a consumer notice in writing, is transparent.
(2)A consumer notice is transparent for the purposes of subsection (1) if it is expressed in plain and intelligible language and it is legible.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/20 ... 68/enacted

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Or is the price cap set at what they expect the price to be in the future (so I'll be paying even more price increases before the Gov. actually start to help me)?
That’s it.

If you are paying less than the cap currently, you carry on paying that unless/until your tariff rises to the cap.

In addition to operating a cap, the Gov is giving us all a £400 rebate (per household) using money it’s borrowed on our collective behalf, so it is giving you some help.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 4:56pm ...
In addition to operating a cap, the Gov is giving us all a £400 rebate (per household) using money it’s borrowed on our collective behalf, so it is giving you some help.
The £400 grant and other measures in England:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/getting-the ... e-discount

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Pebble wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 2:56pm
Mick F wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 2:26pm Chatting to a business owner today, and he has done his sums. I know him well, and I understand him.

When the electricity prices go up through the roof next month, he's buying a diesel generator.
Cheaper to run, than buy lecky off the grid.
Cheaper than investing in solar panels.

Sad, but true.
doubt he has done his sums propery. small 5kw one will use 3 litres per hour, if you coud buy red diesel thats about £1 per litre. So it would be costing about 60p per kwh (and that is assuming you use all of it)(and doesnt include the cost of buying one) . Domestic electric is going to be capped at 35p (don't know what commercial rates are)

This reminds me, I have a 2 stroke genny (0.75kw) should dig that out and see if it stills runs, could be handy this winter when we start having blackouts.
6kW @ 1L/hr

Red diesel @ 101.77p/L

101.77/6 = 17p/kWh, half the new price cap of 34p/kWh at full power, but there's no information on fuel consumption below that.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the correction. (The Ofgem website doesn't seem to have been updated!)

GOV.UK: "Energy bills support factsheet":
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ember-2022
Updated 21 September 2022

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

One thing hasnt been made clear - this winter we are getting £400 off our bills.....what about next winter, will we still get that, or, are they waiting to see if gas prices come down?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 5:46pm One thing hasnt been made clear - this winter we are getting £400 off our bills.....what about next winter, will we still get that, or, are they waiting to see if gas prices come down?
The official statement is now:

GOV.UK: "Energy bills support factsheet":
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ember-2022
Updated 21 September 2022

To the best of my knowledge beyond that it's politics. And not necessarily the same across the UK.

Jonathan