Heat in the home

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

My central heating is set for what range?

I don't have central heating
13%
below 18
36%
18-20
39%
21-22
3%
23-25
3%
25-plus
5%

Total votes: 61

axel_knutt

Re: Heat in the home

Post by axel_knutt »

Nearholmer wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 3:04pmEnergy suppliers’ bills should use megajoules.
The reason they don't is that if you run a 2kW heater for 3 hours it's easier for customers to work out that it's used 6kWh than 21.6MJ.
There's a free 100 page guide to the SI units from the BIPM here:
https://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The reason they don't is that if you run a 2kW heater for 3 hours it's easier for customers to work out that it's used 6kWh than 21.6MJ.
I could swear that I never suggested metering in MJ. Is that a quote from within a quote or something? Or, am I cracking up (again)?

Post by 853 »

Nearholmer wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 5:26pm
I could swear that I never suggested metering in MJ. Is that a quote from within a quote or something? Or, am I cracking up (again)?
I can't see it in your 3:04pm post on the 5th October, either
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Got an email from Shell Energy to notify me they are increasing my direct debit by around 80% even though I'm £350 in credit. No ifs or buts or opportunity to differ. When will we be able to switch suppliers again?
mjr

Post by mjr »

UpWrong wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 9:11pm Got an email from Shell Energy to notify me they are increasing my direct debit by around 80% even though I'm £350 in credit. No ifs or buts or opportunity to differ. When will we be able to switch suppliers again?
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utili ... ct-debits/ tells you how to get it back down. They're probably just hoping most won't if they don't offer.

I think switching is theoretically possible but I'm not sure which suppliers are taking switchers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

mjr wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 9:55pm
UpWrong wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 9:11pm Got an email from Shell Energy to notify me they are increasing my direct debit by around 80% even though I'm £350 in credit. No ifs or buts or opportunity to differ. When will we be able to switch suppliers again?
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utili ... ct-debits/ tells you how to get it back down. They're probably just hoping most won't if they don't offer.

I think switching is theoretically possible but I'm not sure which suppliers are taking switchers.
Thanks. I'd call my supplier to reduce my DD if there was any chance of getting through on the phone. TBH, the email gives the forecast cost calculatiion, but it's based on last year's winter's use which was high because I was working from home a lot.
mjr

Post by mjr »

UpWrong wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 9:52am Thanks. I'd call my supplier to reduce my DD if there was any chance of getting through on the phone. TBH, the email gives the forecast cost calculatiion, but it's based on last year's winter's use which was high because I was working from home a lot.
If they're not answering the phone, step 4 of the guide I linked says to send a formal letter. I'd say why basing it on last year is unreasonable.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Got a letter yesterday with a barcode to go to the post office with our lecky key-meter key.
£66 worth, and the promise that we'll get another £66 next month, and then £67 in Dec, Jan, Feb and Mar, totalling £400.

We don't use anywhere near that much lecky!
We'll be in profit for the rest of 2023!

We need gov.uk to send someone round to use my chainsaw and wheelbarrow to collect the firewood! :lol:
Or buy us coal instead perhaps.

Whilst I was getting my letter and barcode sorted, the people in the PO were complaining about all this.
The machine that the key is put into, will only take a maximum of £49. You have to remove the key, and then reinsert it to get more.

Also, the PO in Tavistock scans the barcode, then the post-master/mistress has to draw out £66 in cash, and go over to the retail shop part of the place, to pay them, so they can charge the key ......... twice.

The post-mistress said that this procedure is going to create havoc in a busy shop. The whole thing may have taken ten minutes to complete which included the post-mistress coming out from behind her kiosk, locking up, and then going back, unlocking, and getting back on duty for the rest of the customers. I was the third person she had to do it for, and that was before 10am. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Europe 14th Oct 22.jpeg
Enormous amounts of energy raining down on much of England today, free to all who wish.

Does an abundance of conkers and other nuts suggest a cold winter, I wonder? The squirrels are working very hard at the moment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Raining?

Not seen much here for weeks on end.
Warm, clear skies, 15degC even now at 16:50

Still wearing shorts and sandals when I go out and when I'm cycling.
I light the fire for hot water, not to keep warm. May not bother this evening.
Mick F. Cornwall
hemo

Post by hemo »

I'm £183 in credit and adjust my D/D via my Shell account.
Recently reduced the D/D to £75 as this month only £19 was required to make up the difference since the £66 applied.

I begrudge all energy utilities having our surplus money in credit as me alone they gain at least £1 interest monthly, so with your in credit amount it is at least 2x add all the other customers up it likely is a few million extra profit they make.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Just checked my account now £199 in credit and it appears I can no longer change my payment amount !!!

Found it again Upwrong.
Try going in to 'Overview' , then scroll down to 'view account summary' and enter. Scroll down a bit to see your 'current balance' , then enter the 'edit payment amount'. One can adjust the amount up or down.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Mick F wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 4:51pm Raining?

Not seen much here for weeks on end.
Warm, clear skies, 15degC even now at 16:50

Still wearing shorts and sandals when I go out and when I'm cycling.
I light the fire for hot water, not to keep warm. May not bother this evening.
Solar energy raining down all of the day over a lot of Britain today, gorgeoous. Crazy that more aren't heating water with it!

Satellite.gif
Satellite.gif (6.53 MiB) Viewed 246 times
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

hemo wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 8:02pm Just checked my account now £199 in credit and it appears I can no longer change my payment amount !!!

Found it again Upwrong.
Try going in to 'Overview' , then scroll down to 'view account summary' and enter. Scroll down a bit to see your 'current balance' , then enter the 'edit payment amount'. One can adjust the amount up or down.
Excellent! Thanks.