Heat in the home

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

My central heating is set for what range?

I don't have central heating
13%
below 18
36%
18-20
39%
21-22
3%
23-25
3%
25-plus
5%

Total votes: 61

mjr

Re: Heat in the home

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 11:14am Bear in mind that was warming up a large Georgian house from scratch with solid walls and no double glazing from a 23 hour period with no heat on at all.
Key factsyou omitted from that post. That will always cost more to heat than a 1990 home by a good local developer, yes.
I think the hourly cost would drop considerably if we kept the CH on all day. Its a 5 year old Worcester Bosch condensing boiler running at full bore which is when this type of boiler is most efficient.
That seems unlikely because Worcester boilers don't normally condense when running at full bore. The Leaving Water Temperature usually needs to be below 70˚ to condense and is most efficient around 60˚ but of course, your boiler manuals may say different.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 11:29am I see a difference between keeping the sun off, and being in a heated room.
A difference that would stop a cool bag working in a heated room? I'm not very good at physics, so I'd love to know what it is.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 11:42am
thirdcrank wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 11:29am I see a difference between keeping the sun off, and being in a heated room.
A difference that would stop a cool bag working in a heated room? I'm not very good at physics, so I'd love to know what it is.
I am now lost completely. Al was talking about a quilted coat.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

TC, I was talking about a fleece pyjama set/leisurewear. Seriously if you have a Primark nearby drop in and have a look at them. They are remarkable.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 11:43am
mjr wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 11:42am
I am now lost completely. Al was talking about a quilted coat.
I don't mind: wrap a bag of frozen peas in the coat or pyjamas or whatever and another not. If the insulation lets heat through and stops cold, the bag in the coat will warm up faster, won't it? I bet it doesn't.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

mjr wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 11:08am Not keep cool, but warm up less quickly than if you open it. If you doubt that, try explaining how cool bags work for summer picnics, or why Spanish soldiers wore six layer uniforms in Florida.
The food in a cool bag absorbs heat from the outside air at a higher temperature, wrap it in insulation and it will warm up slower. The human body emits heat, at all times, summer and winter, wrap it in too much insulation and it will overheat.
al_yrpal wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 11:14amIts a 5 year old Worcester Bosch condensing boiler running at full bore which is when this type of boiler is most efficient.
I fitted a new WB boiler in 2017.

Previously I had a 12kW boiler for heating, and 22kW multipoint for hot water, which I replaced with a combi. As the 22kW multipoint was a bit short of heat in winter I opted for a 28kW combi rather than the 25kW, even though the 12kW boiler was plenty for the heating. My actual average gas consumption during February 2022 was 2.9kW, which possibly goes a long way to explaining why it's barely any more efficient than the old one.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mjr

Post by mjr »

axel_knutt wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 1:38pm The food in a cool bag absorbs heat from the outside air at a higher temperature, wrap it in insulation and it will warm up slower. The human body emits heat, at all times, summer and winter, wrap it in too much insulation and it will overheat.
Indeed, but was it "too much insulation " if the say 2° difference of a wood stove on makes it overheat? The insulation should slow the warming-up-from-air effect almost the same, unless it's the magic one -way insulation Paulatic mentioned.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Each human being emits approximately 100 watts. As any fule kno you can easily overheat with too much bodily insulation in unsuitably higher air temperatures. As your body digests food it produces a bit more heat.

Wot I said....

Seriously though if your place is cold and you are struggling with heating costs have a look at Primarks Fleece Pyjamas...

Al (posting in good faith)
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Condensing boilers are generally increasingly better with colder return flow temps, if you can get away with 50 or lower that is better. The recommendation for 60 largely seems to be out of concern about people mixing up water supply temps and, where they have a water tank, giving themselves diseases.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 10:56am
Paulatic wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:42pm
al_yrpal wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 8:33pm I wore it one evening when the woodburner was going - I had to go and change, it was too warm.
Clever insulation that :wink: allows heat through but stops cold getting through.
I'm intrigued by that quip. Surely, nobody is suggesting that wearing a thick coat will keep the wearer cool in a hot room. I can see that it might stop somebody getting really hot in front of a fire. This seems to go back to the days of grandma's insisting you took your coat off indoors or you "wouldn't feel the benefit" when you went out.

Anyway, ime wearing "warm" togs inside has the effect described by Al
I put my faith in wool as an insulator, and yes I’m sceptical of Al’s piece of knitted polyester from Primark.
My last 30 working years were spent above 1000 ft sea level and have a lot of experience of cold. If I were to come into the house with cold feet and the fire was on I’d remove my wool socks so my feet warmed quicker. The wool socks insulate you from heat or cold same as it does for the sheep when they wear it.

Being a cold tattie it’s beyond my comprehension how people can stay warm wearing so little as Al’s link and stay warm. I’d need a 10 tog quilt as well. :lol:
or as I am now, sitting in a 24C room with log burner. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

16693992466028460067537836080593.jpg
From bottom to top... Sitting room temp, Outside temp, Annexe temp

We are in our polyester and still toasty! :lol:

Al
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

al_yrpal wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 6:03pm

From bottom to top... Sitting room temp, Outside temp, Annexe temp

We are in our polyester and still toasty! :lol:

Al
I spot a John Seymour there Al. Self Sufficiency was my bible of the 70s.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Paulatic, my only motivation is not to start an argument its simply to help any folk here that are struggling with the cost of heating.

Tomorrow we are going to run the central heating all day and see what that costs thus bracketing our problem. Our heating bill last month was £300 (£234 after the govt help). We have to work out how we can optimise comfort and cost.

Al
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here.
Now.
Outside
Livingroom. (Fire not lit).
Time.
IMG_1615 copy.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
hemo

Post by hemo »

It's quite positively balmy here tonight, I have not long got in from work.
Heating isn't on and the living/dining room is 16.9c in our semi, it's clear sky's tonight and the air is a bit crisper and drier, with no damp the interior has less damp in the air so temps feel and are warmer.