Heat in the home

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

My central heating is set for what range?

I don't have central heating
13%
below 18
36%
18-20
39%
21-22
3%
23-25
3%
25-plus
5%

Total votes: 61

Jon in Sweden

Re: Heat in the home

Post by Jon in Sweden »

irc wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 12:45pm
Phileas wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 10:54am
irc wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 5:31pmWhy take a chance on an untested expensive heat pump system involving replacing all radiators with larger ones…?
“Untested” is perhaps unfair and it is surely not necessarily the case that all radiators need replacing?
I see no need to be an early adopter. I know nobody with a heat pump. No relatives, friends, or neighbours. I have no intention of getting one soon. By the time (if ever) I get one I will be able to speak to other local users in the same local climate and similar housing for real world facts and figures. The planet can wait. If it survives all the coal China is burning it will survive me keeping my gas boiler for a decade or two.
It's not untested. It's old technology that's been in place and functioning perfectly here in Scandinavia for decades. I actually struggle to think of anyone that I know here who doesn't have one.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

853 wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 5:38pm I turned off all heating in my house on April 1st, and that's not a joke. I don't expect to turn it back on until sometime in November.

One of the 'features' of having a south-facing house is that, from Spring until Autumn, when the sun comes out it can really warm the house and the storage heaters can't store the heat for days and days as they are meant to leak it out. It was a bit chilly yesterday (it was wet and cloudy all day) but not as cool as you'd probably imagine. Sunny today, and the house is lovely and warm.

I have no issue with those in rural areas burning fallen trees, or using wood burners when the grid fails.
For all the wonders of technology and of the petrochemical industry's insulation, there's little more effective than the simplicity and effectiveness of the sun's radiation acting on a house designed to make good use of it. The pleasure of feeling the heat of the sun after a couple of cooler days is one which never fades.

Post by 853 »

Biospace wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 11:25am
853 wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 5:38pm I turned off all heating in my house on April 1st, and that's not a joke. I don't expect to turn it back on until sometime in November.

One of the 'features' of having a south-facing house is that, from Spring until Autumn, when the sun comes out it can really warm the house and the storage heaters can't store the heat for days and days as they are meant to leak it out. It was a bit chilly yesterday (it was wet and cloudy all day) but not as cool as you'd probably imagine. Sunny today, and the house is lovely and warm.

I have no issue with those in rural areas burning fallen trees, or using wood burners when the grid fails.
For all the wonders of technology and of the petrochemical industry's insulation, there's little more effective than the simplicity and effectiveness of the sun's radiation acting on a house designed to make good use of it. The pleasure of feeling the heat of the sun after a couple of cooler days is one which never fades.
15 degrees C today (in my house) and we haven't had sun for a couple of days; I'm told it's 12 degrees C outside.

Automatic, silent heat that comes on most (but not all) days
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

From the first time in the year that it is warm enough to sit outdoors in the sun, even under blankets, Norwegians do so, and most houses here have terraces and balconies to take advantage of the sun. Multi-family buildings often have a roof terrace. Not many people have conservatories here, though, which I have never completely understood.

Otherwise, houses here are designed to warm in the sun & retain heat well, with well-insulated walls & roofs, and often with dark colours.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

17degC outside, and we were sitting on the decking earlier.
I've come in now, and lit the fire using scrap wood and chunks of beech and birch.

22degC in the livingroom and we have LOTS of hot water now! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We sit outside in the sun often and have been doing so for some weeks now. If its chilly we have a fluffy blanket around our knees which was a very welcome gift from my pals in Maine. We often eat breakfast outside too. Today been working on the fruit and veg patch planting raspberry canes, strawberrys and leeks. Spuds, mangetout, sugar snaps and carrots tomorrow. Long may it remain dryish.. :wink:
Heating is off now

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Thought this easterly breeze has been keeping the temp in my house on the cool/cold threshold. The house doesn't get a lot if sun. I still have the heating coming on morning and night but just about managing with it off during the day.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Vorpal wrote: 19 Apr 2023, 9:42am
From the first time in the year that it is warm enough to sit outdoors in the sun, even under blankets, Norwegians do so, and most houses here have terraces and balconies to take advantage of the sun. Multi-family buildings often have a roof terrace. Not many people have conservatories here, though, which I have never completely understood.

Otherwise, houses here are designed to warm in the sun & retain heat well, with well-insulated walls & roofs, and often with dark colours.
The variety of house colours in Scandinavia is very attractive to the eye although with good insulation, the darker colours should no longer have much effect on internal temperatures. Although it's very pleasant to sit outside with your back to a warm wall on a day like much of Britain has had today - bright sunshine and cool air.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

An acquaintence has just returned from Oz and we were swapping the obligatory weather remarks and without thinking, I said "well of course, it's still winter here..." before it dawned on me that it's nearly May !! Brrrrrr...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm off on a bike ride shortly, and yes, it's still winter!

I'll be wearing my bib tights, a base layer, and a thickish top, as well as shoes and socks.
Nearly May?
I should be cycling in shorts and sandals at this time of year. Brrrrr!
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

16819811962406832900030016876118.jpg
Just finished Brekky in the sunshine.. Veg patch beckons..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's lovely and warm in the early summer sunshine ...................... but there's a strong bitterly chilly easterly wind out there.
Nice a warm?
17/17/18degC but with a large wind-chill factor.

Sat outside after getting home and it was lovely. Move to the other side and still in warm sunshine, but it's bitterly cold.

On my ride today, I was very warm and perhaps over-warm at times, and other times very glad I had my base layer, tights, and jumper on as it was COLD. Sandals would have been stupid, but shoes and socks were fine.
Mick F. Cornwall
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

I was surprised to see it's almost six weeks since the boiler was used to heat the house, our previous one usually needed some heating right through to the end of April and the living area stove would often be lit on evenings well into May.

There have been three or four evenings when the living area has felt cooler than ideal when there has been thick cloud and air temperatures have been under 8C, which is when the large oven was used to cook dinner.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It was only yesterday that I did my seasonal switch from long sleeved tops back to T shirts. Even so, I'm not entirely sure I've done the right thing - ne'er cast a clout 'till May be out!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

irc wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 12:45pmThe planet can wait. If it survives all the coal China is burning it will survive me keeping my gas boiler for a decade or two.
The reason we have a problem at all is that there are 8 billion people who can all argue that their own contribution is negligible.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche