Heat in the home

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

My central heating is set for what range?

I don't have central heating
13%
below 18
36%
18-20
39%
21-22
3%
23-25
3%
25-plus
5%

Total votes: 61

Biospace

Re: Heat in the home

Post by Biospace »

simonineaston wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 9:26am By the mid '60s, we'd moved onto carpeted floors and night storage heaters. :)

Interestingly, night storage heaters are having a resurgence in popularity with those most interested in all things green.

https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=17&t=594
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

pwa wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 4:47am
Biospace wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 10:12pm .........It'll be the fashionable sorts who love their open fireplaces and designer stoves who'll wreck it for the rest of us as they suck their already warm air up and out of the chimney.
I grew up, in the 1960s, in a world where burning coal and (later) oil in a domestic situation was the norm, and every house in our street, and every street in our town, had smoke coming from chimneys. Every town in the UK was smokey, and the power stations and trains and the factories and the schools were smokey. Ditto across Europe. But you think the damage to the albedo of the north is worse now than then? And the cause is the humble wood burning stove that we fire up for a couple of hours in the evening for four months of the year?

As recently as the 1970s, climate scientists were sure we were reaching the end of our current interglacial period, that snow and ice would return to our latitudes for many months of the year. By the 1980s, things were changing and the idea that 'man-made' CO2 was driving our climate became entrenched by the 90s. The concentration on CO2 was so great that we promoted smokey technology no matter how marginal the benefits were to CO2 levels - diesel engine in cars, woodstoves etc.

The warming of the Arctic at a rate at least double that of the rest of the planet has prompted a lot more research since the mid 2000s and so the importance of CB particles has been highlighted. Because we weren't measuring this in the 50s or 60s, it's not possible to say whether this was worse then than now, because of Europe.

However, our consumption was a lot lower and there were less than half the number of people living on the planet. Air pollution was far more visible than now and since it's known larger particulates are less likely to remain airborne for as long, it's plausible to suggest today's tiny particulates are more likely to end up further from source. But, Scandinavian lakes and forests were killed by tall chimneys spewing pollution in the UK and other northern European nations. The world's systems are very good at widespread distribution of particulates, something we've used to try to keep our local air less polluted, something ice core scientists use to look into the past.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-t ... -coal-mine

pwa wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 4:47am That isn't quite what a well designed wood burner does. It takes its air from a spot very close to the floor (or ours does), the coolest air in the room and the combustion happens in an enclosed box (not an "open fire") when the air has been pre-heated to enable secondary combustion that reduces soot production. There are very crude wood burners with simple air inlets, usually on the front, but I think they are being phased out because they are relatively dirty. Dirtiest of all, and by a big margin, is an open fire, where most of the heat is wasted.

To clarify - by 'already warm', I'm talking about internal air which is already heated by other means. Too often I've been in houses with warm radiators and air around 20C with a flaming wood stove merrily pulling this air out of the house. Wood burners have become very fashionable in recent years, what was once largely the preserve of rural cottages burning material dragged from local woods is now widespread throughout suburbia having been marketed as something good for the environment, as were diesel cars.

Unless a stove air intake is sealed and piped to the outside, it draws air from the space it's in. This air is then replaced with air from outside through air leaks and/or vents. I have seen cases where the overall effect is a cooling one, silently dealt with by the CH thermostats doing their job :roll:

Central heating primarily warms a house's air, the misnamed 'radiators' are really convectors. An open fire or stove warms you more with its radiation than with the warmer air it creates - typically, air temperatures can be 2 or 3C lower than with radiators or UFH for similar, though different, levels of comfort. Combining the two creates problems, unless intake air is piped from outside and the thermostats are turned down to low levels.

With road miles and sometimes even fossil fuel drying involved in domestic wood supplies, it does begin to look highly questionable to have a gas or oil boiler flue and a flue from a woodstove poisoning our air. There are days in alpine valleys where children are not allowed to play outside in school playtimes because of the dangerous levels of airborne toxins from wood burning.

https://woodsmokepollution.org/?ref=seoraporu.co
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39115829

Lighting a fire from on top rather than underneath has a beneficial effect on emissions, using smaller pieces of wood and recharging progressively similarly.
Last edited by Biospace on 15 Sep 2022, 4:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Interestingly, night storage heaters are having a resurgence in popularity with those most interested in all things green.
Funnily enough, that Xed my mind as I typed... given that dual rate charging / improved tech. may give opportunities for savings.
I have fond memories of sitting on those warm, rather large boxes - the family lore was that this should be avoided due to raised risk of the old farmer's :wink: but not something that has ever trouble me or my derrière...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

By the mid '60s, we'd moved onto carpeted floors and night storage heaters.
Very good (if that’s the right word) reminiscences, exactly as mine except that we were a deal more skint, so the whole thing, including Lino floors and those bl@@dy awful paraffin stoves, persisted to at least the mid-70s. One of the several reasons I was attracted to my first girlfriend was that her family home had fitted carpets and central heating!

As. PS: my mother still lives in the house I grew up in, which was then horribly cold all winter, despite hundredweights of coal and gallons of paraffin being burned, but it has since been insulated in walls and loft, had double-glazing fitted etc, and is now really nice and snug, with very much lower energy consumption. An object lesson in what is still needed in far too many houses and flats.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Nearholmer wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 4:33pm To be carbon neutral, I think wood-burning has to occur no quicker than the growing of replacement wood, and somewhere (that I can’t now find) I’ve seen a figure for the area of land that needs to be devoted to copse in order to keep one family in heat and warm water, and it’s quite a lot.

In the C15th/C16th, possibly earlier, all this led to a ‘wood crisis’ in Britain, because the population outstripped the amount of available fuel-copse, which was one of the factors behind the development of the coal industry.
It is an issue. The C16th shortage was more down to the need for fuel for iron making, and the need for big timber for ships.

My own timber has, in the past, come from coppicing work I did myself, and I have been back and seen the regrowth. I currently get offcuts from a carpentry operation that involves use of large conifer trunks that have to be squared off, so it is a by-product of felling that would have happened anyway. Our log burner directly replaced a gas fire, and is used in a similar way, as a supplement to the main heating (gas), making the main living room extra snug late in the evening.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

simonineaston wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 4:44pm
Funnily enough, that Xed my mind as I typed... given that dual rate charging / improved tech. may give opportunities for savings.
I have fond memories of sitting on those warm, rather large boxes - the family lore was that this should be avoided due to raised risk of the old farmer's :wink: but not something that has ever trouble me or my derrière...
And gas prices are going to rise faster than electricity, so could well be cheaper, depending on how our energy market is regulated.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Electric storage heaters can be very good if you have very modern ones, which have good-enough insulation, and very high thermal capacity ‘fire bricks’, so do actually store energy until you need it, rather than leaking it out all over the place in the morning, leaving you nothing for the evening, which older ones do.

If you are going to get into it, do your own calculations though, because some of the salesmanship around electric heating is bordering on snake oil stuff. Some modern heaters use a combination of a relatively small thermal store and ‘real time’ electric top-up. They are really nice in terms of comfort, but can lead to you buying a significant proportion of your heat/electricity at daytime tariff rates. If you look at those, make sure you compare them with modern ‘storage only’ heaters, not with old-style ones.
Last edited by Nearholmer on 15 Sep 2022, 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Nearholmer wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 4:33pm To be carbon neutral, I think wood-burning has to occur no quicker than the growing of replacement wood, and somewhere (that I can’t now find) I’ve seen a figure for the area of land that needs to be devoted to copse in order to keep one family in heat and warm water, and it’s quite a lot.

In the C15th/C16th, possibly earlier, all this led to a ‘wood crisis’ in Britain, because the population outstripped the amount of available fuel-copse, which was one of the factors behind the development of the coal industry.

In Eastern Europe and Russia, they were short of all fuel to keep warm, hence the development of the very efficient Russian stoves I mentioned in the post which originally triggered pwa! viewtopic.php?p=1722787#p1722787

Their design has been taken up in recent years, often combined with the amazing rocket stove (an overused term, the real thing is remarkable) into the 'Rocket Mass Heater'. https://insteading.com/blog/rocket-mass-heaters/
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Nearholmer wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 4:56pm Electric storage heaters can be very good if you have very modern ones, which have good-enough insulation, and very high thermal capacity ‘fire bricks’, so do actually store energy until you need it, rather than leaking it out all over the place in the morning, leaving you nothing for the evening, which older ones do.

If you are going to get into it, do your own calculations though, because some of the salesmanship around electric heating is bordering on snake oil stuff. Some modern heaters use a combination of a relatively small thermal store and ‘real time’ electric top-up. They are really nice in terms of comfort, but can lead to you buying a significant proportion of your heat/electricity at daytime tariff rates. If you look at those, make sure you compare them with modern ‘storage only’ heaters, not with old-style ones.

The concensus seems to be that modern NSHs are very expensive for what they are, little advance on what was offered in the 90s other than a digital display and circuit board.

Very true arbout sales techniques which combined with poor installation and setting up of newer technologies like heat pumps are creating havoc for those wanting to do the right thing.

Our mildish, damp winters creates a very different set of demands than a cold, dry continental one.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Our mildish, damp winters creates a very different set of demands than a cold, dry continental one.
Unpredictability is a serious problem when it comes to NSH. A pal of mine lives in a retirement flat that has them, and he finds that if the weather changes unexpectedly he can be either opening the windows to waste-away excess heat in the mornings, or going to bed at 2000 because they’ve ‘run out’ by mid-evening, sometimes both on the same day!
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Nearholmer wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 5:23pm
Unpredictability is a serious problem when it comes to NSH. A pal of mine lives in a retirement flat that has them, and he finds that if the weather changes unexpectedly he can be either opening the windows to waste-away excess heat in the mornings, or going to bed at 2000 because they’ve ‘run out’ by mid-evening, sometimes both on the same day!

I was thinking more of heat pumps which left to their default settings will use as much or more electricity than direct heating because of our damp air, when typically for 1 unit of energy in, there should be 3 out. But yes, the huge variability does have an effect on heat storage, too - including under floor heating.

There have also reportedly been problems with plumbers and solar heating installations, it seems there's no/insufficient training and a lack of experience.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Biospace wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 5:46pm I was thinking more of heat pumps which left to their default settings will use as much or more electricity than direct heating because of our damp air, when typically for 1 unit of energy in, there should be 3 out.
Are there any? Most problems I've read about have been due to installers overriding the default heat pump settings to do dodgy things like run the radiators hotter, which is presumably to avoid calls complaining that the new system doesn't make the radiators hot enough.
There have also reportedly been problems with plumbers and solar heating installations, it seems there's no/insufficient training and a lack of experience.
That, plus a reluctance to train and an arrogance that the UK has nothing to learn from other temperate coastal countries like Norway, Sweden or Denmark who used heat pumps more.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

hahaha - just wait till the Gulf Stream falters...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
uwidavid

Post by uwidavid »

Not sure how long the off-peak electricity for storage heaters is going to last as the rich people are going to want to charge up their Teslas overnight.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

mjr wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 6:03pm
Biospace wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 5:46pm I was thinking more of heat pumps which left to their default settings will use as much or more electricity than direct heating because of our damp air, when typically for 1 unit of energy in, there should be 3 out.
Are there any? Most problems I've read about have been due to installers overriding the default heat pump settings to do dodgy things like run the radiators hotter, which is presumably to avoid calls complaining that the new system doesn't make the radiators hot enough.
That, plus a reluctance to train and an arrogance that the UK has nothing to learn from other temperate coastal countries like Norway, Sweden or Denmark who used heat pumps more.
I was thinking of this post https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 924#p16924 - and had a neighbour who experienced pretty much the same issues.

uwidavid wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 8:43pm Not sure how long the off-peak electricity for storage heaters is going to last as the rich people are going to want to charge up their Teslas overnight.
This is where a smart grid will work, possibly. It could be a minefield getting it to work effectively though, there can't be allowed to be too many occasions when some don't have transport because overnight spot prices are so high their software programming doesn't allow charging. Are we going to have a situation when some only drive after windy nights?

We need a solid baseload powered by renewable energy, tidal will come eventually. Let's hope not too much of it is needed to cool any more high level nuclear waste than we already have.

simonineaston wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 9:29am The funny thing is, they carry with them the faint image somehow of being "green"... funny how things are, isn't it? Up Stroud way, for example, the air is permiated with the pleasant familiar smell in the streets of burning wood
I've often wondered about this, how carcinogenic gases can smell so wonderful (at a distance). Perhaps deep, subconcious memories dating back over tens of thousands of years, associating the smell of burning wood with being warm and eating? And keeping midges away!