Electric cars

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ncutler

Re: Electric cars

Post by ncutler »

pwa wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 7:49am I try to make a habit of doing a little bit of heavy braking (with no vehicles behind) once in a while, just to scrub the discs. I don't know if it does any good but it feels like the right thing to do. Apart from that I use the brakes as little as possible, just as I do cycling.
I think this is good practice. Our Prius has a habit of wearing out its rear disks due to corrosion as the rear brakes are almost never used in normal driving. Also it makes sense to reassure oneself that the braking system works properly.

I don't yet know if there is a similar effect with the Mighty Niro, but suspect there may be. The Niro uses its mechanical brakes even less than the Prius: two paddles behind the wheel allow one to adjust the amount of electrical braking; can be enough to control long steep descents with ease.

Also, after washing the car, I usually drive it round the village green in the feint hope that a bit of braking will remove the washing water from the disks and decrease corrosion.
No pasaran
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

EDITED: Crossed with above.
pwa wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 7:49amI try to make a habit of doing a little bit of heavy braking (with no vehicles behind) once in a while, just to scrub the discs.
Very wise. But it can take a fair time to clean them, as can be shown when you do it by hand. Driving with them held on for a bit may be more effective than braking to a halt... but that might require more pedals than are available...

I don't know if this potential problem has shown up either when they're needed on the road or in MoT inspections. There should be quantitative data from the latter...

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Mick F wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 7:45pm Slightly off topic maybe?
People who fix cars, smell of cars eh?
What about people working in "environments"?

Back in the olden days, our daughters and Mrs Mick F would meet my ship when we came back from sea/deployment etc.
The girls would say, "Daddy! You smell of Ship!"
I would reply, "You smell of School!"

At the Rising Sun Inn earlier this evening, Gunnislake Garage staff were there having a drink or three.
They smelled of "garage" and oil and engines. All of them - half a dozen? - were manky and in work clothes.
I know all of them. :D

https://www.gunnislakegarage.co.uk
Back in my last year of school we had a three week work experience course.I was going down the pit so I didn't bother picking anything so got what was left allocated to me.It was at a battery hen farm.I stank after a day there but especially after the once weekly muck-out.All the conveyors under the hens went into a pit with an Archimedes screw transferring it outside.This would clog up and we had to unclog it by hand :| I had to ring my dad to pick me up as the bus driver wouldn't let me on I stank so much.My clothes had to be chucked in the bin :lol: I took a change of clothes for the next two but still had the smell on me :lol:
Horrible job.Long since closed now.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 6:24pm
axel_knutt wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 6:23pmA couple of days ago I noticed there are three or four new charging points in the railway station car park, one was in use and the others were all blocked by petrol cars.
"ICEing"
Anti-ICEing at Superchargers:
https://electrek.co/2021/12/09/tesla-sy ... rates-app/

Jonathan
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

francovendee wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 12:12pm If contemplating buying a brand new car then the choice of EV or ICE will be.
The carbon footprint to make either will not be vastly different.
Really? EV production carbon footprint is around twice that of similar ICE vehicle in most analyses I've seen eg here
"42"
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

According to this:-
https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... obal-en-GB
China now has the monopoly on EV batteries.
China doesn't have a great track record on pollution nor human rights.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hellhound wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 6:28pm According to this:-
And petrol extraction and usage really doesn't have a great record on pollutions or human rights...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 9:46am
And petrol extraction and usage really doesn't have a great record on pollutions or human rights...
Just putting a different viewpoint out there for those banging on about how 'good' the move to EVs is :roll:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And you're ignoring the EV battery factories being built elsewhere...

And you're ignoring the current distribution of battery manufacture:
https://elements.visualcapitalist.com/r ... ry-makers/
Screenshot 2021-12-13 at 10.07.00.png
Yes - a lot is in China, but number 2 and 3 are more than a third of production between them, so no it's not a monopoly.
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 13 Dec 2021, 10:08am, edited 1 time in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 9:46am
Both need to be handled by international agreement and consumer pressure.

Jonathan

PS: The EU has very ambitious plans for battery production... something like 25% by 2028. It will be interesting to see how that changes pollution from production. EDITED: Crossed with previous post.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 10:00am And you're ignoring the EV battery factories being built elsewhere...
I'm not ignoring anything.I just posted a link to a story I think is relevant to this thread.You can't win.People are always asking for a 'source' or 'proof' of something or other then when one is provided change the goal posts :lol:
Read it if you want,dismiss it if you want.I really don't care :roll:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

But you're just reading the headline...

Barely into the second paragraph: "Some of the batteries that drive them are Chinese-made" - that's not a monopoly statement.
But also - China has 40% of the worlds market for cars, of course they're going to be large player.

Moves away from Cobalt (which are happening) need to be accompanied by enforcing better mining practices for other materials, but that's the case whatever the material that is needed.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Maybe to save the planet we need to keep our older cars on the road longer?
The carbon footprint on our Toyota was created 13 years ago. It would make no sense to buy a new car and be responsible for another large amount of carbon.
We regularly see a fuel consumption of 4.3 litres per 100 km so I don't feel that we're being irresponsible.
When cars finally wear out buying a new one is justified but only if it's essential to run your life.
I think this will be the case for the majority of people.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No-one, other than the UK government, has ever said that we should scrap all existing cars to replace them with EVs.

But it's exceedingly rare for a single person to buy a car new, and run it until it is scrap, selling your car into the second hand market will push out a genuinely scrap vehicle from the bottom of the market.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

francovendee wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 7:17pm Maybe to save the planet we need to keep our older cars on the road longer?
The carbon footprint on our Toyota was created 13 years ago. It would make no sense to buy a new car and be responsible for another large amount of carbon.
We regularly see a fuel consumption of 4.3 litres per 100 km so I don't feel that we're being irresponsible.
When cars finally wear out buying a new one is justified but only if it's essential to run your life.
I think this will be the case for the majority of people.
Here we have a fundamental issue: “essential to run your life”. Bar in the major metropolitan areas - and even there there are issues - running one’s life is very heavily personal transportation dependant. Local shops, services and employment, etc., are now centralised requiring motorised travel to reach them and due to distance walking becomes an impractical and maybe not possible option. Public transport is often regarded as an answer that we used to have to the issues of personal transportation but the hard truth is that it was always a noticeably imperfect solution and that centralisation has still increased travel distances.

I’m now of the mindset that thinks that cars should be run indefinitely and into that period where the repairs cost more than the monetary value of the car. That might seem daft but the carbon footprint of a car needs to be valued too.
[XAP]Bob wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 10:44pm No-one, other than the UK government, has ever said that we should scrap all existing cars to replace them with EVs.

But it's exceedingly rare for a single person to buy a car new, and run it until it is scrap, selling your car into the second hand market will push out a genuinely scrap vehicle from the bottom of the market.
As above cars are scrapped due to economic and commercial reasons rather than beyond (physical) repair reasons and that scrapping doesn’t value carbon footprint.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.