Optilabs

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
simonineaston

Re: Optilabs

Post by simonineaston »

She deals with the cyclists, and most of them go for bi-focals. She said that on a bike, you don't need the intermediate distance, just the reading and the distance. Made complete sense to me!
That fits with my experience. I bought cycle-friendly frames from my local independant opticians and chose varifocal lenses and my view is that the extra expense was wasted as bifocal (ie distance, plus map) would have been perfectly adequate. Not that the varifocal are a disadvantage in any way, of course - although there are folk who just don't get on with them. I'm not in that group. I'll know for next time.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ferretdiver

Post by ferretdiver »

Thank you 'Mick F' for posting the photos on this thread, it prompted me into contacting & trying some frames from Optilabs.

I am now about to place an order for some bifocals, however the number of options with regards to the personalisation of the lenses have left me a little indecisive.

I appreciate that it is very much a subjective thing in that, what works for one person may not work for another.

However, I want to make sure I have considered all the pros & cons before committing. & regretting something afterwards that I had not taken into account.

What are peoples views on what works best, mainly with regard to cycling - distance vision & then looking down to read my cycling computer?

I would have liked polarised lenses but have discarded the idea of polarised lenses because of the effect they have with illuminated device screens, but now I’m stuck on whether to go photochromic or just a standard tint.

Would like to know peoples thoughts & experiences with what they have ordered & what they found works or doesn’t.

TIA

Ian

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ferretdiver wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 2:24pmWhat are peoples views on what works best, mainly with regard to cycling - distance vision & then looking down to read my cycling computer?
I don't have any general purpose solutions, but it's a crucial question.

On the computer aspects there's a big choice of screen size and legibility, and quite a range of distances from your eyes at which it can be mounted.

I'd strongly recommend anyone considering an expensive device to do the experiment first.

Jonathan (Garmin Edge 1000, extension gadget bar in front of the handlebars, no additional refraction)
bluespeeder

Post by bluespeeder »

I have a pair of Optilab flow with mid tint for summer use. Only problem I have with them is slight double vision when looking through the side part. I think this is due to the wrap around curvature and my prescription (about -4.5). I only notice this when I first start using them again after while (over winter).
I have been using Selectspecs Aero2057 with a clear lens over winter and have been very impressed and much cheaper (£12).
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

I have Optiabs variofocals with driveware transitions and they tick all boxes for me.I can wear them for cycling,driving or just as everyday sunglasses.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

They're so much better than the traditional wraparounds with clip in prescription lenses, can see in all directions and don't get sunblock on the inserts every 10 mins.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
RickH

Post by RickH »

st599_uk wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 3:58pm They're so much better than the traditional wraparounds with clip in prescription lenses, can see in all directions and don't get sunblock on the inserts every 10 mins.
Alternatively you can change one bit without having to stump up for a whole pair of new glasses. My prescription had changed slightly, both for distance & reading, when I had an eye test a few months back. I got the insert in my cycling glasses reglazed. Further back I updated the outer lenses, as they were getting rather scratched, & the new ones are improved photochromics - work faster & respond more to ordinary light, rather than just UV, I think they go both darker & lighter too.

If you are significantly short sighted you can't really correct right round to the sides without the lenses getting very thick at the edges. My inserts are a similar size to my ordinary glasses so the optics are similar too even though the tint wraps round the sides.

Apart from using a computer I prefer varifocals across the board so everything looks roughly the same whatever I'm wearing. For the PC I got some inexpensive single vision glasses as I found the sweet spot with varifocals meant I was having to tip my head back to an uncomfortable position.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

ferretdiver wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 2:24pm
What are peoples views on what works best, mainly with regard to cycling - distance vision & then looking down to read my cycling computer?

I would have liked polarised lenses but have discarded the idea of polarised lenses because of the effect they have with illuminated device screens, but now I’m stuck on whether to go photochromic or just a standard tint.
I like varifocals; it only takes me about half an hour to get used to a new pair though some people have trouble adjusting to them and they are pricey. I would also avoid polarised lenses for the reason you give. I have tried photochromic lenses but found that they did not change tint fast enough and they were particularly poor at dusk in the mountains, apparently because of their greater sensitivity to UV v. visible light, so just go for a standard tint. No doubt the manufacturers of photochromic lenses claim that their latest versions are much better than previous ones but I remember believing the same claims when I bought mine back in the last century.
ferretdiver

Post by ferretdiver »

Well, thank you for the responses, it has given me some things to think about.

I originally considered photochromic because my optician said there appeared to be slight damage to one eye (retina) possibly caused by sun damage. Asked me if I wore sunglasses & when I replied that I did in summer but I found myself often pushing them up on my head in the winter because of lower light levels, I promptly got told off in a light hearted way & then told because the sun is often lower in the sky in winter, there is a bigger risk.

May be I am expecting one thing to do too much & a second pair of glasses for winter might work better.

What are the clip in lenses some of you are referring to please?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

RickH wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 8:47pm
st599_uk wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 3:58pm They're so much better than the traditional wraparounds with clip in prescription lenses, can see in all directions and don't get sunblock on the inserts every 10 mins.
If you are significantly short sighted you can't really correct right round to the sides without the lenses getting very thick at the edges. My inserts are a similar size to my ordinary glasses so the optics are similar too even though the tint wraps round the sides.
I am significantly short sighted (8+) and the wraparounds work for me. Being ginger, I was forever having to take the insert sunnies off, remove the insert, clean of the sunblock my eye lashes had deposited and re-assemble. The new ones I can wear all day.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

ferretdiver wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 7:20am What are the clip in lenses some of you are referring to please?

Sports sunglasses quite often come with a separate clip in part that you have your prescription added to - it clips to the nose of the sunnies and sits between the sunglasses and your eyes.
A novice learning...
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Sports sunglasses quite often come with a separate clip in part that you have your prescription added to
That pretty much describes the system employed in the eyewear I bought from my local opticians. The product can be found here.
Last edited by simonineaston on 31 Mar 2022, 10:44am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ferretdiver

Post by ferretdiver »

st599_uk - thank you for explaining that & providing an image. I’ve not worn sports glasses before & didn’t know the 'clip in' thing existed, probably down to being new to prescription lenses.

I’m wondering if this would work for me as a second pair just for winter, although I’ve not looked at pricing yet, may be something else to consider.

ferretdiver

Post by ferretdiver »

Bluespeedster - thanks for the selectspecs info, their website looks good especially if considering cheaper second pair of glasses.

Simoneaston- thank you for your link to the website with different lenses/clip in.

borisface

Post by borisface »

I also have a pair of selectspecs Aero2057, which I've had for about 18 months. They're great value for money and far better than something with an rx insert as they are lighter and sweat tends to drip down between the 2 lenses with an rx insert. They still look like new. The only downside is a minor one in that the specs and lenses are flat rather than curved as I understand it's difficult/expensive to do that. But no biggie. I paid about £60 for single vision mirror-tinted. Definitely I would recommend them.