load of old bells

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
CinnabarMoth

load of old bells

Post by CinnabarMoth »

Something that really iritates me are daft pedestrians who require me to mount a bell on my bike for no rational reason whatever except that they expect cyclists to use bells. The vast majority of people I encounter on cycle lanes and towpaths are quite happy for me to announce my approach by talking to them and horse riders seem very apreciative of a polite and cheery comment intended to reasure the the horse. But every now and then I encounter a grumpy pedestrian for whom 'hiya' or 'passing on your left' or whatever is just not good enough and they are compelled to shout 'where's your bell!'.
I think bells on bikes are far less functionally usefull than actually speaking to people but worse than that they are dangerous fittings on bikes with drop bars as one cannot ring a bell and operate both brakes at the same time.
mjr

Re: load of old bells

Post by mjr »

If it's got to the point where you need to operate both brakes, it's too late for a bell anyway, so let's knock the "dangerous" claim on the head.

I like bells because they carry further than my voice, don't interrupt conversations as much and are easier to understand than a cyclist shouting the name "Anya Wright", but I know opinions differ and I don't get too excited about it.

The menace are those cyclists who sneak up with neither bell nor greeting.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

When I'm walking, I find that bells offer an instant message of "bike approaching" that the spoken word doesn't quite manage. It also carries further.
I'm very happy to have one, and use it often.
I'm hoping that Jonathan will post a link to an august scientific journal backing me up on this!
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

I for one am not happy!
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

I have this strange feeling that I've been here before....but bells are good; they bring a smile; they are indicative of a bike approaching; dogs and horses hear them before their human companions; they are not perceived as hurtful; let bells rule!
Tim
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

No bells! They are irritating to have it ringing behind if one is walking - rather like 'get out of the way!! - or they sound awfully effeminate unless rung with purpose (sort of like, ahem, excuse me, sorry to be a nuisance).
I prefer to call out when I'm riding, it gives me an opportunity to engage with the person in a human way - there are far too many mechanical noises in the world today, so, please, no more bloody bicycle bells. :x
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bell versus voice? Why not both? I use a bell as I am approaching a pedestrian with their back to me, at a distance where use of the voice would mean shouting, which isn't how I like to introduce myself. Then I use the voice closer in. I've been doing it that way for ages and it works as well as anything. Okay, on very rare occasions where I am going down a 1 in 4 and encounter someone I won't take my hands off the brakes to reach the bell. But there is no danger there because I prioritise the need to brake over the desire to use the bell. I have never reached for the bell when my hand should have stayed on the brake. Some pedestrians don't hear the bell or the voice, especially those with earphones in, but at least I try.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I start with the bell as it carries further unless I shout. Two brakes? No way, thats for hard braking and if you need the bell you should be slowing anyway. Also, and predominatly, it serves a purpose when the dozy so and so in front is surprised and angrily shouts "use your bell", probably hoping that you don't have one and are thus the criminal in the situation. "I ******** well did you deaf ***" can then be the reply :roll:
peetee

Post by peetee »

Pendodave wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 6:32pm When I'm walking, I find that bells offer an instant message of "bike approaching" that the spoken word doesn't quite manage. It also carries further.
I'm very happy to have one, and use it often.
My sentiments exactly.
I’ve tried calling and just got fed up of people freezing on the spot or looking generally alarmed.
To be honest the things that annoy me are:
1. people who clock your approach, see you move to the side of the trail/path and decide to move to the same side.
2. Dog owners who move to the opposite side to their (Unleashed) dog then attempt to call it over. The dog, of course, will look at the owner as if they are an idiot (shrewd animals, dogs) then wait til you are passing and attempt to walk between your wheels.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
SupermanVsSnowman

Post by SupermanVsSnowman »

CinnabarMoth wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 5:19pm Something that really iritates me are daft pedestrians who require me to mount a bell on my bike for no rational reason whatever except that they expect cyclists to use bells. The vast majority of people I encounter on cycle lanes and towpaths are quite happy for me to announce my approach by talking to them and horse riders seem very apreciative of a polite and cheery comment intended to reasure the the horse. But every now and then I encounter a grumpy pedestrian for whom 'hiya' or 'passing on your left' or whatever is just not good enough and they are compelled to shout 'where's your bell!'.
I think bells on bikes are far less functionally usefull than actually speaking to people but worse than that they are dangerous fittings on bikes with drop bars as one cannot ring a bell and operate both brakes at the same time.
My response to that would be something like "your missus had the end part of it, ask her" or more likely something I cannot post here.
OH CACK! I just dropped my d-lock, shattering the JWST primary mirrors! I'll just say I was on the toilet when I heard something smash.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

We rang a few changes in these previous threads on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=132309
viewtopic.php?t=116742
There are others...
I'm quite often thanked on the towpath for ringing the bell, and favour the old flywheel type dring-dring bell which sounds a bit less insistent and cheerful than a ping bell, to my ears any way. The Canal & River Trust's signage advise using a bell on their network of paths, which I use a lot.
On a flat bar bike I noticed that I could get a useful extra hand position by cupping the top of such a bell, with the other hand on the bar, but I felt a bit unbalanced, I fitted another one on the other side to compensate, it gives a handy, almost 'aero' position. Having two bells with slightly differing notes on the down and return strokes also gives the extra advantage of being able to play a jaunty accompaniment to your journey if things are getting a bit dull.
P1160143.JPG
On a drop bar bike I fit the same type of bell on the stem somewhere, I might just try two on the bars somewhere now I come to think about it.

Here's a fairly recent thread about choices of bells just in case the OP is convinced to change his opinion; I see no mention of night-time specific bells suitable for moths though. :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=141018
For horse riders, I always warn by voice, as I'm led to believe that a bell can spook a horse as it doesn't necessarily recognise that the sound relates to humans.
I think pedestrians getting upset about things is just one of those things, some folks don't like cyclists on shared paths, they'll scowl at you after either a vocal or, mechanical warning of approach, 'tis some peoples nature, that's all. Life's curtain twitchers possibly.
'Dring-Dring Merrily on High' at this time of year !
Nu-Fogey
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I'm generally in favour of bells because for most people they:

a) instantly indicate a cycle approaching (whereas a voice could be a runner, friend, mugger, whatever and invoke a variety of responses not including making space) and

b) at 4000-5000kHz (most 'ping' bells) hit the most sensitive hearing frequency.

That said my wife has a 'Ding-dong - Avon calling' bell that pedestrians always remark on and seem to love.

But don't get me started on 'Pod-estrians' and 'Meander-thals' :wink:
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

https://www.mtbriders.co.uk/accessories ... cEQAvD_BwE

Another suggestion guaranteed to divide opinion I think. Having had a lot of issues to those described I use one of these which I only "turn on" when I am coming into contact with a lot of pedestrians such as on our local NCN route!! It is operated by vibration so it is a bit like a cowbell. People hear you coming and it doesn't sound in the least bit aggressive. Just seems to arouse their curiosity. It can get a bit annoying if you leave it on for a while.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 8:17am We rang a few changes in these previous threads on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=132309
viewtopic.php?t=116742
There are others...
Indeed.

Including good behaviour when there's shared use, how to alert without being aggressive etc. But I'm increasingly realising that there is a very large range of sensitivity to other people's reactions. Some report snarls and other smiles. If I was consistently getting anything other than smiles I'd look for the common factor in the encounters...

Jonathan
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Either way, whatever device - or voice - we are using, I do think it is endemic in all of us to promote happy relations with the rest of mankind, by saying: 'Thank you' once we have passed by.