"Rocket Science ain't rocket science..."

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
661-Pete

"Rocket Science ain't rocket science..."

Post by 661-Pete »

...or so it seems.

What I'm after here is, not a detailed and learned exposition on how to design a space rocket (nor indeed how to perform brain surgery).

What I'm asking for is a new cliché - since "it ain't rocket science" no longer cuts the mustard. After all, everyone needs a good cliché.... :roll: ... particularly when concerned with bicycle mechanics... :?
Suggestions please?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ferrit worrier

Re: "Rocket Science ain't rocket science..."

Post by ferrit worrier »

perhaps something to do with quantum physics, or the theory of black holes
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Ask Shania Twain what impresses her, that should sort it.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

The article says they aren't necessarily more intelligent and this is absolutely correct since their "intelligence" is based on them memorizing things.

Savants can memorize things, in fact to a far greater extent than rocket scientists or brain surgeons, but are savants intelligent? No, they often have no opinions of their own about anything and can't solve problems.

We have all been fooled into believing people that can memorize a lot are intelligent. If anything, the opposite is the case, with actual intelligent people often being forgetful or "scatterbrained".

So this raises an interesting question - why are we living in a world where it's encouraged for us to think people with good memories are clever? I know why, but I won't get into it here.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Having a good memory is usually a consequence of exercising it frequently in a specific range.

I have a very good memory for some things, but names, faces, song names etc... all a complete blur. I am sure that's because I don't use that memory nearly as much as many other people - not being particularly gregarious.

Intelligence is usually focussed on something, which means that you end up memorising a lot of detail about that something, else you are forever looking stuff up in order to make progress, and that is decidedly slow.

With some experience of university students post my degree it was clear that many of them had been educated to be excellent sausage machine operators, but few had the capacity to decide what went into the machine. This is in a physics context, where many of the students could do the maths (a tool) very well, but couldn't work out what the appropriate maths question was (the actual physics of the question) since it had always been provided at school.

So is memory required for intelligence? No, but developing it is an inevitable consequence of applying that intelligence in a specific field.
That is not to say that that is the only way in which memory can be developed.

It has long been said that rocket science is easy - it's the engineering that is difficult.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.