cycle only crossings?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
LancsGirl

cycle only crossings?

Post by LancsGirl »

As referred to here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y-code.pdf

Rule 80 becomes Rule 82 and contains this (in Rule 82): "Cycle tracks on opposite sides of the road may be linked by cycle-only
signalled crossings. You may ride across but you MUST NOT cross until the green cycle symbol is showing."

What do these cycle only crossings look like? Or the lights that regulate them. I'm used to toucan crossings, and as far as I understand I can cycle across, even against a red light, if there's no traffic coming.

Have I got that wrong?

But the "MUST NOT" in the Highway Code indicates an actual offence. Just that I'm not sure if I've ever encountered one of these "cycle-only crossings". Maybe I have and not noticed. Anybody got a picture?
gaz

Re: cycle only crossings?

Post by gaz »

LancsGirl wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 11:40pmI'm used to toucan crossings, and as far as I understand I can cycle across, even against a red light, if there's no traffic coming.
Yes, you can walk or cycle across a toucan against the advisory red light for peds and cycles.

In my admitedly limited experience, cycle only crossings have traffic light style red, amber, green lights and (should have) a solid white stop line. Those lights are mandatory.
Untitled.png
Previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24464
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

As gaz posted and linked. The compulsory stops have three colours and no little red man.

We've had a toucan on NCR 1 at the A148 replaced by wider parallel pelican and cycle-only crossings. It has the advantages of detectors instead of push buttons and a longer green, but disadvantage of a compulsory stop and arguments about the maximum wait time. Counterintuitively, I think the layout means you can still ride across the pelican against red if it's quiet and you don't want to wait, but doing the same on the cycle crossing 5m away would attract a fine.

The new layout is as in LTN1/20 but I've mixed feelings about it because it turns a give-way to a stop at quiet times.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Thanks for clarifying. I don't think I've ever seen one of these "cycle-only crossings'. But at least I know what they look like now. Pretty much like the "usual" traffic lights on the main carriageway. Which I always obey. I'll be alert for "cycle only crossings", I'm assuming they are far less common than toucans.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I certainly remember a fair number of cycle crossing with cycle specific lights, cycle specific "request buttons" in the Netherlands. That said I have no idea about what rules they have (I guessed not crucial if you stop and wait for green and for no moving traffic ...)

Maybe [mention]willem jongman[/mention] (or anybody who knows) tell me what the rules are around those in NL?

Ian
millimole

Post by millimole »

There used to be a couple in Leicester, but they've been replaced (with Toucans AFAIR)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This bit of Rule 82 appears to be identical to the old Rule 81.

Never having encountered a cycle-only crossing, I was expecting the miniature, low-level, bike-symbol lights that are used at some ASLs now. But more so, I'm wondering what is the status of a pedestrian using the crossing?
PH

Post by PH »

I haven't come across any such lights in the UK that cross the road, I don't think I've used any cycle only lanes that do so. Derby does have a set of cycle lights in a contra flow lane, it's a pity google has caught them at red, which is a full round light, the amber and green are cycle symbols.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9221972 ... 384!8i8192

gaz's example doesn't seem to have a stop line, I thought it was a requirement, the wording of the offence being something about crossing it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 5:35pm gaz's example doesn't seem to have a stop line, I thought it was a requirement, the wording of the offence being something about crossing it.
No, where there is no stop line, the offence is passing the first light post.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 7:21pm
PH wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 5:35pm gaz's example doesn't seem to have a stop line, I thought it was a requirement, the wording of the offence being something about crossing it.
Have you a reference for that?
The HC says "You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green."
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 9:40pm
mjr wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 7:21pm
Have you a reference for that?
The HC says "You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green."
The HC is only a summary. See the section on the meaning of "stop line": https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... ph/30/made
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A rule with a must has the links to the relevant legislation beneath it. My original assumption was that in the absence of a STOP line at traffic lights, the regs would say that in the absence of a white STOP line the vehicle should be stopped at the first signal, but I can't see that.

From memory, to prove a failing to conform offence with traffic lights, it's assumed that the lights were "in order" but if that's challenged, then it has to be proved that the first nearside light was ok. So, some bulbs out in the other signals were not an issue.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

As for the Netherlands, we have many traffic lights for cyclists or pedestrians only, and they are mandatory. Riding or walking through a red light is as illegal as driving through one. And of course we have many, because it is a lot safer to keep cars, bicycles and pedestrians separated. So we often have sensors in the road surface that detect if there is a car or a bike, and then optimise the order in which the lights turn green. For pedestrians there is usually a button to press, and sometimes also for bicycles.
It all begins with well designed separate bicycle lanes, and crossings and roundabouts where cycles are also kept separate, of course. In addition, it is worth mentioning that riding your bike on the main road if there is a cycle lane is illegal.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

mjr wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 11:39am I think the layout means you can still ride across the pelican against red if it's quiet and you don't want to wait, but doing the same on the cycle crossing 5m away would attract a fine.
Riding on the pedestrian side of a segregated path is also illegal - so while you can legally ride on the bit where it crosses the carriageway while the red man is lit (but not when the green man is lit) you cannot approach the the crossing on the footway.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Pelican crossings connecting segregated (painted line) ped/cycle paths: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.39866 ... 384!8i8192
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade